Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to les menuires

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Help please we are off to les menuires at xmass and ive booked us the ferry to zeebrugge i am thinking that it would be best to stop for the night around the bottom side of lyon as anyone got any suggestions??.

Thanks in advance

Steve.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are 6 pages worth here
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would press - (if you haven't got little ones). I regularly do Zeebrugge to Tignes in 10 hours (with short stops for leg stretches) and Tignes is probably another 40 mins on top of Les M.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steve the snowman, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead What time can you get access to your accommodation? Are you hoping to get an extra day's skiing?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads brother snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi All

Thanks for the help.

We have 2 kids 10 and 7 and are not due in resort untill sunday so need to stop over sat night just thought it would break it up the plan was to get as close to les menuires on sat so we didnt have far on the sunday.

thanks again
Steve
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve the snowman, welcome to snowHead

Think an overnight stop with kids is an excellent idea. Personally I would stop before Lyon, as is still a long first days drive, and is a smooth trip in from anywhere around Macon to resort, particularly with new Lyon bypass. But obviously each to their own!

Can't help with hotels around Lyon - as we do always stop to the north! Plenty around though, take a look at the Logis de France site for more individual places, otherwise teh normal chains of Ibis etc
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve the snowman, yes, I agree with Boris. 10 hours Zeebrugge to Tignes is pushing it, with only very short stops, and it's not going to happen if the weather is not co-operating. You probably won't have access to your accommodation till around 4 pm and with a couple of kids having everything organised to change into ski gear in a car park is a bit of a hassle. I'd stop further north, or that first day is going to be a bit of a killer and might leave everybody feeling tired and bad tempered. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve the snowman, You are taking three days for a journey that normally takes two, do you plan to do something similar on the way back ? The Zeebrugge ferry only seems to make sense to me if it means that you don't have to make another overnight stop.

If it was me, I would drive down to Dover or Folkstone on the Saturday, cross the Channel late afternoon and stop somewhere like Reims or Troyes, drive to Les Menuires the next day. You wouldn't have workday traffic around the M25 to deal with.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If it was me, I would drive down to Dover or Folkstone on the Saturday, cross the Channel late afternoon and stop somewhere like Reims or Troyes, drive to Les Menuires the next day. You wouldn't have workday traffic around the M25 to deal with.
New post Mon 23 Sep, 13
15:57 Reply with quote

that sounds sensible. I didn't realise the Zeebrugge ferry added a whole extra day! And in the days when I used long ferry crossings (eastern channel) I never got a lot of sleep.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dijon...about 90 mins north of Lyon......Comfort Inn with chinese buffet attached

or

Best Western - Chambery Nord.......one hour or so south.....just off main drag...shopping centre across the road for dinner....McD, KFC or nicer options if preferred
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can you still get the day ferry from Harwich to Zeebrugge?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with those who suggest going via the channel tunnel if you can, though I appreciate it's more of a schlep from Rotherham than where I live in the Sarf east. You can get to les Menuires in about 8 hours from Calais if you merely stop for a refuel and nip to the loo.
This summer we drove down through france over 2 days, and stopped in Epernay (about 20 mins off the motorway near Reims). We stayed in a lovely wee apartment in a champagne house on the Avenue de Champagne- I think it was 130 euros and it slept 4 (one bedroom and a sofabed in the living area as I recall). It was a great break from the mindless tedium of driving through northern france-google Champagne Andre Bergere, but I think you have to email them to get the price list as it's not clear on the website. I know it sounds a bit posh, but it was really nice!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All

We are doing the overnight crossing from hull it's only an hour from home and for what it cost worked out around the same as fuel/channel crossing would have cost with with the advantage of not spending 5 hours down to Dover. Also another experience for the kids and also will be well rested for the drive on Saturday hence not minding having a long drive on day one.

Thanks for the help
Steve
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve the snowman, can't help with suggestions but am also heading to Les Menuires for Christmas. Maybe see you there Very Happy
latest report
We are also in les Menuires for Christmas, in Bettaix and also driving down. I allow for 12 hours and take my time. There is a ibis budget hotel in Albertville for your Saturday night stop over, with only an hour and a bit to get up to les Menuires. So you could ski Sunday.
We leave early Friday, travel down through the day to stay in Albertville friday night, so we can ski Saturday, change over day. We also ski the next saturday, The way home we go slightly off route to crash at a motel Saturday night, north of Annecy to drive back on Sunday.
snow conditions
Thank you all great advice
Maybe see some of you on the slopes.
ski holidays
Quote:

johnE
hors Piste
Posts: 756 Can you still get the day ferry from Harwich to Zeebrugge?

Harwich ferry goes throught out the day but sails to Hook of Holland, leaves approx 8am - docks at 4pm ......did last time I caught it about 3 years ago
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Welcome to snowHeads brother snowHead

Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy