Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Val Disere in April or February which is better?

Poster: A snowHead
We skied last year during April holiday and lost two days to flat light. Im wondering if it we would have better luck in February? Any thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ELLENESK, flat light has nothing to do with the time of year. They are equally likely any time. But the last two weeks of February will be peak holiday time - very busy. Why were the days "lost"? The right goggles can help a lot. So can skiing in the trees - not that there are many of them in Val D'Isere!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well if you go in February and don't have flat light it would be just that, luck. Just as likely to have flat light in February as in April, or not. Its the vagaries of the weather, impossible to predict.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The snow will be softer in February. In April it will be rock hard ice in the morning, and slushy wet snow in the afternoon. In February, it will be soft groomed snow, tons of it, with lots of powder off piste. This is a major factor if you are a seasoned skier, who has been through many mogul fields.

Try March as a compromise! Weather is usually warm and sunny, and no so much clouds in the sky!

Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ELLENESK, You get flat light whenever ..... In Feb (if you mean half term) you get mostly too many people !

April you will get powder, but also spring snow, and (providing you remember not to ski them first thing ....) soft bumps. I don't know what Bigtipper, means by
Quote:

This is a major factor if you are a seasoned skier, who has been through many mogul fields.

? If you are a seasoned skier you'll like all snow ? (I know I do)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The snow will be softer in February. In April it will be rock hard ice in the morning, and slushy wet snow in the afternoon. In February, it will be soft groomed snow, tons of it, with lots of powder off piste. This is a major factor if you are a seasoned skier, who has been through many mogul fields.

Try March as a compromise! Weather is usually warm and sunny, and no so much clouds in the sky!

Hmm. Quite a lot of generalisations there. To suggest that there are fewer clouds in March than in February or April is a bit odd. And you'll only get "fresh powder" for a few days after new snowfall; it can go weeks without snowing.

In Val D'Isere, most Aprils, I'd expect conditions to be pretty good the first half of the month especially if you are canny about the aspect of the slopes you choose, morning and afternoon.

The first half of March it will still be very busy - French school holidays. Second half of March would be good, though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The snow will be softer in February. In April it will be rock hard ice in the morning, and slushy wet snow in the afternoon.

This is a ridiculous generalisation. I've skied rock hard piste in February because it hasn't snowed for weeks on end, and I spent most of last April in powder over my knees. The significant difference between the two dates is that Feb will be crowded and expensive, and April won't.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, +1
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
constrained by school holidays, but luckily February break is an "off week" april wont be until mid month, so I know the afternoon wont be great. It was just to grey to see variations in the snow, really bad light two days. Which goggles do you suggest to combat that?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

luckily February break is an "off week"

sorry, don't know what you mean by that?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Quote:

The snow will be softer in February. In April it will be rock hard ice in the morning, and slushy wet snow in the afternoon.

This is a ridiculous generalisation. I've skied rock hard piste in February because it hasn't snowed for weeks on end, and I spent most of last April in powder over my knees. The significant difference between the two dates is that Feb will be crowded and expensive, and April won't.

A generalisation, yes, but there is some truth in it, April is very likely to thaw through the day and freeze overnight, its years since I skied later than February but bulletproof mornings followed by slushy afternoons is certainly my memory of late season skiing but there are always exceptions. In February, it generally stays soft & light all day, but if it hasn't snowed for some time and it has been windy, then sometimes it can be bulletproof all day!.
Personally I prefer January
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The significant difference between the two dates is that Feb will be crowded and expensive, and April won't.

Might be a bit different for next season with Easter being in mid April wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway, Easter isn't really a big issue in France, I find. Most of the locals are dusting off the mountain bikes by then. Nothing like as busy as the four winter holiday weeks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway, +1 pam. Easter doesn't seem to make any difference to our bookings, especially as the UK is moving towards an Easter-free term schedule. The French aren't interested either.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
The significant difference between the two dates is that Feb will be crowded and expensive, and April won't.

That's precisely the opposite of my experience. I don't go in half terms though.

What nobody has mentioned is that February can be cold. Really cold. I'm not particularly bothered by the cold but I've retreated off the hill in Val d'Isere in -20C and strong wind.
latest report
ELLENESK, We skied in Val D'isere last April after Easter. The snow was great, far better than in Les Arcs - we drove over. The weather was wonderful and there was nobody there. I'd always go April not February- we have our own place and haven't been in Feb half term for years even though I have school age child, because of the 7 hour queue from Lyon airport to Les Arcs, expensive flights, lift queues Shocked A bit of flat light is a small price to pay but as above we have had bad light in all months. Bad light and warm is fine. Bad light and minus 20 you can keep. I also have gone home in minus 20...
Yellow lenses help with vision in bad light. Some goggles have interchangeable lenses. They are not cheap.
snow report
I have been generalising this is true. It is also true that sometimes generalisations are proved false, but in the main generalisations are made because the majority of times they are true.

I would say that a seasoned skier, who has been through too many mogul fields, will like softer snow because ice hard packed compacted pistes are really quite damaging to the joints. (particularly the knees) Especially if you fall. This may not be the opinion of all the young supple females who post here, who only ski a week a year, and so consequently they should choose the busiest time when they can sit in the coffee shops and top up their facial wrinkles.

Laughing
latest report
Quote:

all the young supple females who post here, who only ski a week a year

yep, that does sound like me. Laughing
ski holidays
ELLENESK, I have sunglasses and goggles with interchangeable lenses. I use the sunglasses when it isn't snowing and the goggles when it is. I switch both of them (Oakleys) between black and persimmon. Here is a chart of the lens options http://www.companybe.com/SportsVisionBend/webcontent.cfm?PageID=40&TimeOut=0
You need something for low light and increased contrast. Be aware though that these are not magic lenses. They do help quite a bit but visibility will still be relatively poor. Skiing in flat light is a great way to improve your skiing because you have to feel the terrain through your feet. However, in really poor visibility (fog or whiteout) I personally get the point where I think it's barely worthwhile. Especially now I have young children. I very rarely stop at a mountain restaurant or go home early but it does happen. But having the right eyewear, being less ambitious with what you are skiing and a positive mental attitude can all help to keep you on the mountain longer Smile And also tree level skiing - that can be a big help.

For me, there are plusses and minuses to going at all times of the year. I don't recall having ever lost a minutes skiing in late season - post mid-March - so eitehr you were very unlucky or wussed out Toofy Grin . I could be wrong, memory is not what it was but I certainly remember some very challenging visibility in Dec-Feb.

Oh and another thing to be careful of is that it can be very flat light at valley/resort level but much better at altitude or in a different sector. On more than one occasion I have spent a whole day skiing in sunshine looking down on a blanket of cloud sitting down below.
latest report
ELLENESK wrote:
We skied last year during April holiday and lost two days to flat light. Im wondering if it we would have better luck in February? Any thoughts?

I would say flat light is less likely in Aprll, as the sun is more vertical and so much more likely to burn through the clouds that tend to disperse it, and give sharper shadows or penumbras when it does break through. Flat light would not be my major worry for April
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy