Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tirol/Innsbruck Area Snow 13/14

Poster: A snowHead
looking sweet, nice looking terrain.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like Stubai was all-time today when the sun came out!

Unfortunately I had to work in bloody Telfs 'cos someone was sick - standing behind the till for 8 hours serving approximately one person per hour was not fun. Amazed that shop can stay open...

Still, game on tomorrow, time to get the skins out!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Matt,

I am going to be in innsbruck 14th-25th april - i know the area of stubai/neustift/schlick really well been going there since 7 yrs old but what do you think of conditions on stubai glacier at the moment - any powder?
Thinking of getting skibus to stubai from innsbruck every day if its good as i missed this season and desperate for skiing. I see snow reports for little snow on saturday and 17cm on thursday 17th.... does that look promising?

should i look at hintertux as an option, havent been there before.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Windskisurf, Hey dude, not too sure tbh.

I skied at Axamer the other day and it was pretty miserable... The kalkkögel looked to have pretty nice snow but loads of recent avalanches so gave it a miss and went for a play at Axamer Kögel instead - ice sastrugi, not pleasant. There was very light snowfall Tuesday night, and a bit more last night. Stubai reporting only 2cms fresh today though looks a little more on webcams. I'm working today and tomorrow but will probably be at Stubai on Sunday, so will let you know. If you tour you should be able to find some nice snow, and I'd expect the pistes to be in good condition. Powder... Possible, but we'll have to wait and see. The weather has been fluctuating from 22 degrees and sun to 10 degrees and rain (in the city) over the last few days.

Kuhtai was ok last week too, and they have a big super pipe which is pretty fun if you want to brush up on your park skills, and pistes were still in decent shape.

In general, there's FAR less snow than at this point in the last few seasons and a few places are shutting early (most lifts at Axamer are already shut) so the Stubai, Kuhtai or Obergurgl will be your best options, and it's probably worth a day trip to Ischgl or St Anton too (St Anton is a direct train, Ischgl requires a train to Landeck then bus from there, unless you have a car).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arrived innsbruck, 8 cm snow forecast tomorrow for stubai, gonna head there tomorrow see what it's like.
Did you go on Sunday, any good?
Worth getting a 7 day ski pass or take it day by day?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow conditions really good yesterday on stubai glacier. Scored powder under the rotadl chair couple of turns even had to spit out the snow.
Heading there now on bus again and prob rest of this week, looks like a lot of cloud. On piste conditions are as good as it gets.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowing it down on stubai glacier, visibility is poor but should be really good tomorrow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Windskisurf, I didn't in the end.

Yesterday was great though. Woke up to 10cms of snow in the garden (800m), with 45cms reported at mid-mountain on Nordkette (which means an easy 60cms up top as they re usually quite conservative)... Unfortunately no lifts open for skiing Evil or Very Mad Still looks great today, but still no skiing...

So we went to the Arlberg instead. Less snow than around here (about 20cms though), and the wind had blow it around a lot. Eastern aspects were skiing real really well, North facing stuff (like Albona) was nasty wind-scoured ice with small pockets of fresh. Scored some goods off Schindlerkar (careful 'cos there's some serious wind loading!!), then headed over to Zürs... Lapped the Muggengrat chair sky times, scoring fresh tracks in fun little couloir type features every run, pushing further and further over (and higher) with every run as the visibility improved... With no-one but ourselves and the lift in sight. Went to ski the Zürser Tali at the end, yet right at the top found another nice little powder-filled couloir with no tracks in it. Traversed high skiers left after that, all the way around the Hasenfluh mountain 'til we were directly above Zurs, which yielded another nice untracked couloir and further fresh tracks right the way down to the village.

Free the next two days too, but where to go...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some images from gondola going up to panorama yesterday morning lots of fresh all from above panorama down between piste to middle station.
Should be same today.

[img]http://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/0/AACufmjyHv93SrUrox2v1gLdfWa76VclQyo2ghDvPrQF6w/12/19002651/jpeg/1024x768/3/1397764800/0/2/20140416_092313.jpg/fowvXqqbk_bnDEZyUxqan7b29WkLAtPJqtFnPtk6miU[/img]

I'm prob stick to stubai glacier next 5 days till easter Monday, friend from innsbruck is free on Monday so may do some touring up stubai wilde grub or somewhere Monday. Looks like more snow over easter weekend so after Monday if conditions good keen to head alberg or wherever.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 17-04-14 19:38; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On a whim I am heading out to Stubai tomorrow morning for the weekend as looks like some of the best conditions around at the moment.
Looking forward to it! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
View from the top of the last run down to Zürs the other day at 5:30:

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Blue skies sunshine today = crowds
Most of the pow has been skied out, great conditions for touring, saw a few groups touring the 3 different untracked areas.
Not sure my images are showing up in the thread, I uploaded them to Dropbox and put the link in img tags, any ideas?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nordkette finally decided to re-open the top lifts for skiers, so that provided todays activities. Pretty sunbaked by the time I realised they were open, but not many other people had so the top section was still pretty damn nice.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Windskisurf, you have to copy the image address (right click on it) NOT the URL, and put that in the image tags. Not sure if it works with Dropbox (maybe if it's a public folder?), but works from Facebook and Flickr, or from Snowheads' own Snow Media Zone photo hosting service.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've only got my note3 with me didn't bring a laptop so right clicking not working, image address/url same thing no? Anyhow tried messing with dropbox url address but no luck. Have some video and used gopro yesterday and today for first time on chest mount so will see how they turn out and link to youtube later when on wifi.
Back to today, cloudy, stuck to the pistes today which are in top condition for some high speed carving fun, most off piste is skied out or crusty.
Started snowing again at lunch getting heavier to the end afternoon pretty heavy all way down to bottom station so hopefully keeps going overnight, tomorrow should be really good, may have to get an earlier bus than the free one.
snow conditions
On bus to stubai Gletscher. It has dumped all over, neustift valley is covered in snow looks like white winter wonderland again so should be amazing up the glacier and other places too. Blue sky showing through cloud so hopefully get above cloud cover and have fresh blue sky pow pow. Anyone else on stubai glacier today?
snow report
First half hour was great, waist high powder more than enough to get stuck in, lots of spitting then cloud set in and zero visibility now so taking a coffee break save the legs for when/if it cleats a bit, off piste no good in white out.
snow report
Windskisurf, sounds excellent, hope the cloud lifts for you.
latest report
Didn't clear yesterday so bit disappointing in the end but the first hour of the day was superb. Still the amount of powder was waist high stopping u in ir tracks if piste wasn't steep enough. Had a look at some gopro footage which shows how much there is, just not had time to sort out uploading linking here, transferred some to my phone via gopro app to make space for more, what's the best way to get it on here, transfer to phone via app, upload to youtube, link to youtube here?
Today it is blue sky sunny, heading up now, hopefully lots of pow left from yesterday, we'll see...
ski holidays
Quote:

image address/url same thing no?

Nope, has to be the image address.

We went back to Serles Nordrinne on Friday. Trip report from last time here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109871 and photos:

(Photo from Tracy Anderson)

Snow wasn't quite so good this time, but it didn't suck either:

Token:

(photo from Tracy Anderson)

Definitely need short touring skis though (think there's a pair of Down CD4's in my future). I gave up on kick turns and booted most of the couloir; much harder work but less frustrating.

There was some more fresh snow down to 800m Saturday, but I'm now in Vienna for Easter weekend.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 21-04-14 8:50; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Life's a beeatch eh? Great photos Matt, hope to catch up next season Happy
snow report
Markymark29, Definitely will! As long as St Anton has snow anyway wink
ski holidays
Quick edit from a relaxed powder day at Axamer Lizum late March. Nothing spectacular, but good snow, no avalanche concerns, and no competition for fresh tracks. Good times!

Mellow Powder Skiing at Axamer Lizum from theADVENTURESofCLARKLEBERRYfinn
http://vimeo.com/93421561

Now to bed as it's been snowing at Stubait he last few days and apparently the clouds are gonna break tomorrow...
snow report
Looked great, Axamer Lizum is now my favourite small resort in the world and the Dohlennest is my favourite mountain hut in the world Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !

There I've said now, I can handle it . . . .
ski holidays
Thursday was pretty damn good up at Stubai, though our tour ended up being a little more epic than planned... Partly due to me driving halfway to the glacier before remembering I had to pick the others up first; partly 'cos the heel piece of Katti's binding ripped out on her third turn. Still, we skied some great powder and some great spring snow, drank some delicious water straight from the glacier, and had a bit of an adventure. Can't complain too much when you get to ski powder on May 1st!!

This is (roughly) the route:

Red lines show descents, blue lines ascents, green line descent without snow, black lines are my approximation of the ski lifts, yellow line is the border with Italy. The dashed lines show where we'd planned to skin/ski back into the resort to take the lift down. We had to abandon this plan due to avalanche danger, as we got there too late.

Rough totals (according to a Google Earth path): 15.2km, 850 vertical metres ascended, topped out at 3441m, 2300 vertical metres descended.

All photos by my mate Dave, who insisted on taking my camera.

From the top station we traversed far skiers' right, and skied great powder down past the park. From there we put skins on and ascended to the first 'Joch.'

Yes, I forgot my sunglasses.

From there we continued upwards, past the Sonklarspitz and Zuckerhütl.

And on towards the top of the Wilder Pfaff (3441m)

Great views into Italy from the top (the border is at the summit), but I don't have any photos.

From there we skied some really nice powder, though I don't have many photos of that either.

As we continued down the snow became a bit more spring-like, but it was still great almost all the way.

This is the point where we should have skinned and skied back into the resort, down one of the couloirs lookers left of the Eisgrat middle station. Unfortunately given it was fairly steep and warm, and after witnessing several small rock falls from a similar aspect, we had to conclude this would have been just too sketchy. So we carried on skiing down the valley towards the Sulzenauhütte (there's one at the base of the glacier, and one down in the valley below, but I think they are run together and share the same name).

From just after the first hut we ran out of snow, so we followed a summer hiking trail down towards the second hut. Near the bottom of the slope we were able to put skis on again, then slide down the valley.

At the end of the valley it was back to hiking along a footpath down to the Stubai access road, near the Grawa Alm, where I caught a bus back up to get the car. At one point we put skis back on the traverse along a narrow section of path over a pretty steep slope with some small drops and a few trees, but most of it looked more like this:

Crossing the bridge at the bottom revealed that the Ruetzbach almost has enough water to kayak...

Yesterday (Sunday) would have been a great day up there too; 20cms of snow fell overnight on top of 10cms from the day before. My feet needed a break though, so I enjoyed a bbq in the sun by the river instead wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 6-05-14 21:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
That looks like an excellent wee adventure, clarky999. Spending a bit of time in and around Innsbruck before I'm too old and decrepit to enjoy it is on the bucket list.
snow conditions
Fantastic.

Hoping to hit Stubai in early June.
ski holidays
Let me know if you do Mike Pow and moffatross!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 18-05-14 21:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quite a bit of new snow - Stubai got 40cms Wednesday night, on top of an accumulated 30 or so cmd form the two days prior. Snowline is quite low, a little over 1000m where I live.

However with terrible visibility, where to ski today was a pretty difficult choice... After much um-ing and aah-ing, I decided to check out the Kalkkögel mountains by Axamer Lizum. As I was solo and couldn't see poo-poo, I didn't go to the top, merely lapping a section with some bushed a few times. Snow was pretty good, not blower obviously, but it's mid-May and I was below 2000m so can't complain! Had it all to myself too!

I managed to time my first two descents with breaks in the cloud, but after waiting for 45 minutes at the top of my third, I gave up and tiptoed down in the murk. Snow was mostly pretty nice, but after leaving my skis standing up in the cold wind I had a few issues with it sticking to my bases... Makes them almost unskiable.

Weather looks to be the same again tomorrow, but the weekend might open up a few more interesting options for playtime...
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Let me know if you do Mike Pow!

Will do.

Delivering furniture from Wales to northern Italy with my girlfriend Nerys.

Driving back empty and hoping to get a couple of days at Stubai, weather permitting.

This will be Nerys' first taste of European skiing.

The terrain available on the glacier looks similar vert and length of run that's she's used to on Hokkaido.

That about right?

This deal looks too good to miss

99 euros

http://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/eng/Winter/Search-Book/Packages/Sunshine-skiing-special
snow report
What's likely to be open at that time would be similar to Hokkaido, but without the trees wink
snow report
So yesterday's fun and games at Axamer Lizum/the Kalkkögel:

Last Turns of the Season? from theADVENTURESofCLARKLEBERRYfinn
http://vimeo.com/95663922

Unfortunately Bernie's binding broke (wouldn't lock) about halfway to our intended line, so we had to skip the colour and settle for the leftovers.

Not bad for mid May though!!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 18-05-14 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Looks amazing!
ski holidays
Rocking, amazing late conditions!
snow conditions
Great conditions for mid may, could well be the last tracks of the season. Looks like summer is coming (+9 Deg C @ 3000m forecast for thursday) up to 30 Deg C in the lowlands.
snow conditions
So Stubai Glacier opens on Saturday, and it looks like it's gonna be a pow day!! Very Happy Very Happy Cool NehNeh Very Happy
snow report
clarky999, Dont rub it in! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Markymark29, haha can't promise that I'm afraid! wink

When are you out this season?
ski holidays
clarky999, send you a FB PM
ski holidays
clarky999, you can go off people you know - doc reviewed my shoulder today. Pleased with the progress made in the first week of intensive rehab but added another 4 weeks to my rehab programme which will take me into November before I can get out to ski. Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy