Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort and hotel needed - 16th Dec onwards

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know that similar questions seem to of been asked several times over the last few weeks but I have a couple of points that some of the more knowledgeable people may be able to help with..

I have four days off in December (16 / 17 / 18 / 19) and am hoping to plan a last minute ski trip away. I normally book flights, car hire and hotels independently and drive the wife and myself to our resort for some fun on the snow.

My questions are below, I hope people can provide some help…….

As it is going to be booked a week or so before I can review snow conditions before I go. What I don't know is what 'snow-sure' (if that’s possible in mid Dec) resorts are fairly close to some of the main airports (2 hour drive) so that I don't have to spend to long in the hire car. I'm not bothered where I fly to (Geneva etc). Can anyone help?
Any advice on good hotels in resorts named above? Just want something clean with breakfast as an option (hotels only, no chalets)?
I don't have to do this Independently. If anyone knows any good websites that might do weekend packages that suit me then please list them

Thanks for your help….
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rooney, LDA is just the ticket. 100% snowsure (we have summer ski-ing). 1½ hours from Grenoble and Chambery and 2½ max from Lyon. Alittle bit further from Geneva, but still no more than 3. Hotel Les Lutins where all the PSBers stayed is excellent, central and reasonably priced. No website, but phone Catherine (don't pronounce the th) Clery on 0033 476 79 21 52 to see about booking. Good brekkie on offer too. You're looking at coming just before the rush! You can PM me or email me via my website for up to date snow info (although I try to keep the Snow Reports up to date).

For more info, my website contains a lot of general stuff and the Tourist Office site is www.les2alpes.com The lift company is www.2alpes.com (very confusing I know).
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, might need a couple of nights there ourselves, possibility the apartment might not be ready until after Christmas, and if the snows crap in SC, may as well go to LDA.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can you elaborate on the 100% snow sure……?

Is that because there is a glacier - and if so then how much skiing does that actually provide and of what quality? I think I have skiied LDA before and remember that the runs down to the bottom of the resort, even in February, were lacking snow (isn't there a green thin moutain track that slowly winds down as well as a black run right to the bottom?).

Looking at flights it seems that I will only be able to manage two days skiing regardless Sad

The earliest flight from a London airport on Friday is 09:50 (can't go on Thursday night), getting in to Grenoble at 12:30. After getting our bags and driving I can't see us being at the resort until at best 15:00. Might get an hour or two in v lucky.

On Monday the latest flight to a London airport is 13:00 - so no time to ski in the morning either !!!

Who flies to Chambery from a London airport ? Anyone know ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rooney, IIRC, from my searching around for flights recently, Chambery is only served on Saturday or Sunday. Have you looked at Lyon from London?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rooney, Yes - the glacier itself is 57 hectares I believe, so there's plenty of ski-ing anyway - checkout the PSB threads ('cos I'm biased of course). It looks as if it would be possible to ski down to 2600 at the moment, but I haven't walked up to see! Shock it depends every year whether there's good snow low down or not. You remember poor snow low down, that was unfortunate, but it's not normal. We now have cannons on the main black run down and on all the nursery slopes. also on the lower part of the Diable black run at the Venosc end of town. Yes - there is a horrid green path, The Chemin des Desmoiselles - I really don't recommend it! Shock better to do the last bit by lift (plenty of options if you're not a lemming). Very Happy

flights: I only know Flybe from Southampton to chambery, but it was a very early flight when I took it. Grenoble luggage collection is about 10 mins (yes really), and drive time about 1½ hours if you don't know the road. Easyjet, Luton and BA from Gatwick I think. Everyone goes to Lyon though. Easy journey either way but presumably a bit more expensive.

Helen Beaumont, Oh no! I can't believe it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad You need to put a bomb under those people or something drastic! Here's a thought though, you could stay at the funny little hotel at the dam on Lac Chambon and then easy peesy either way!! Alternatively give Cathy a ring! 0033 476 79 21 52 Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, Sorry to hear that your new place in SC may be delayed. I mentioned to you here (apartment swap) much earlier in the year about my place in L2A. It's currently un-occupied through until 3rd Jan 06. If of interest to you, or any other snowhead please PM me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy