Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should my bindings release like this?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just got my cheapo park ski setup ready and used them for the first time at Cas yesterday.

After a couple of jumps Id noticed the bindings releasing a bit too easily, then at the top I just leaned forward as if to touch the tips of the skis and both of them released. I tried this a couple of times and they did the same every time but sometimes the breaks would snap on and sometimes they wouldnt, abit like it was the heel plate of the boot slipping out rather than the binding releasing. On my other skis I can lean forward to the point where I can touch the tips of the skis without them releasing.

Should they release like this just under forward pressure? I always thought it was just twisting force that they released under.

Is this just the DIN setting or could they do with looking at and adjusting the mount a little?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Normal bindings release sideways in front and upwards in the back. How hard it is is the DIN setting. Dinssetting.com if you want to find your own setting. Remember if you have to ask how to adjust, and what forward pressure is, leave it to a pro.
Best The Dane
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks,

They were set on 5 but Id upped them to 6, after reading the page they should be around 8 - 9 so that's most likely the answer.

DINs one thing Ive never really known how to calculate so that page is very useful.

I know how to adjust but forward pressure? thats just what pressure is required to release the binding isnt it? or is there another adjustment other than the front screw?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There'll be a mark (arrow) on the side of the heel piece that lines up within a range on the rail. This indicates the correct forward pressure setting with the boot in the ski. It's not difficult but you should really take them to a shop if you're in any doubt and get them to check it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some bindings have two screws. One will adjust the spring tension, and you'll see the marker line on the binding move with the setting. The other might be to adjust the toe piece height. If that's been set for your boots, then leave it alone.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
medlingtonA forward pressure adjustment is on every binding with the exception of some low end demo shoite, however the method of adjustment/indication varies between the various make/models. Some bindings also have a manual toe height & toe wings adjustment as well - & some of those are notorious for going out of adjustment so need regular checking. It's not rocket science & IMO every skier should know how to check their own kit properly. What make/model are they?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forward Pressure is how tightly the heel piece is pressing forwards into the boot when the boot is engaged. You will have noticed that when you push you heel in the binding, the heal-piece moves back and as the heel enters and then pushes not just down on the boot but forward too. If the sole-length is not quite adjusted corrected, then the forward pressure will be wrong and the binding will not release at the set DIN value.

Most commonly the sole length is set a little too long, so the forward pressure is too low, resulting in a pre-release. When this happens, it's very common for the skier to think their DIN is too low, and the increase iit. Of course, the forward pressure is still incorrect, so the higher DIN setting has little or no effect, and so they up it more.... Eventually someone does adjust the sole length correctly and the forward pressure is then within spec. But often they then don't realise that the skier is on too high a DIN setting and the binding will probably not release when they want it to.

Whenever one of our club skiers complains about bindings releasing when they shouldn't (usually after getting new boots or skis), checking the sole-length and forward pressure is correct is the _first_ thing I do. Then, and only then, move onto the DIN setting.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the info,

I'll take them back into Elise Bringam in Cas and get them to look at them for me and hopefully tell me what they do to them as they only fitted them a couple of weeks ago.

They're Salomon C610 bindings on Line 1260 skis.

It does feel to me that they have been fitted with slightly too big of a gap and that the heel could be moved inwards more.

They never really asked how good a skier I was or how tall and heavy I was when they fitted them, I just dropped them in and collected a few weeks later.

I guess if they dont know then they will make them quite lose as its better for someones ski to come off then not come off.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy