Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski juddering

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:
fatbob, if a common cause of juddering comes from too much pressure which ski is likely to be more of a handful in this respect: a really sharp/grippy/narrow ski, or a fat ski with blunt edges?

Yeah I thought about this as I was writing it and decided I'd still go with suspicion. It seems to make sense that a sharp grippy narrow ski would develop more pressure but they are also easier to get on edge earlier in the turn at the right angle and therefore it is easier to manage the pressure. With a fat blunt ski chances are you are taking longer to get it on edge and more likely to be going in late with a high angle (to compensate for the dullness of the edge).

Of course at racing speeds in the hands of an amateur the GS would still be a handful but the fat blunt ski wouldn't still be on the course.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, I don't know for certain, but the only times I experience judder is high speed GS type turns on skis which are much closer to a GS ski than a fat ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, You probably aren't being perverse as you have a tool appropriate for the job though. How often are you skiing hard steep hard pack with fast GS turns on fat skis?

It's all a bit of a sideshow issue as I agree with you and DB on the root cause and solution and from the previous thread I can vouch that it works - don't be late, get the right edge set for the job, be smoov. Any bit of "oh sh** these aren't coming round enough I'll stomp harder or chuck on a load more edge" with sudden application is likely to generate judder.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob wrote:
rob@rar, You probably aren't being perverse as you have a tool appropriate for the job though. How often are you skiing hard steep hard pack with fast GS turns on fat skis?
Never, if I can help it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not even as a spring warm up while stuff softens up? Your ski caddy takes care of your needs?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personal experience (cf zammo posts passim) I get this due to overloading and lack of dynamism when I get tired. For whatever reason, if I'm not feeling full of beans, I become inflexible in my stance and experimentation tells me that if I remember to relax and flex properly the judder goes away (as does the thigh burn).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
Not even as a spring warm up while stuff softens up? Your ski caddy takes care of your needs?
Laughing I can't do fast GS turns on fat skis, so even if I wanted to do I wouldn't be able to manage it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
fatbob wrote:
Laughing I can't do fast GS turns on fat skis, so even if I wanted to do I wouldn't be able to manage it.

Pah dissapointed now! can I cancel my pre-season warm up sesh???? Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ansta1 wrote:
I won't be on fat skis for our Pre-Season trip wink

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
I won't be on fat skis for our Pre-Season trip wink

But I will mostly be fat on skis and anyway it looks to me like you are falling over in that image. I may well be taking my still cameras as well as gopro's, if I do will try to grab a couple of goodies if time and conditions permit.
wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1, Laughing

Always good to have some nice photos as well as a bit of video.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It always amazes me in these discussions when people appear to express the idea that skiing is a static and equipment based recreational non-activity . . . FFS!!!!

Everything about sliding down a mountain at more than walking speed has everything to do with your own, personal ability to cope with it! Every part of a turn is different every bloody time . . . from a driving dive on inception to a skiddy brake before initiation!

It all begins with our own tuning. The most important part of any ski related preparation is to do summat about the fat, lazy, unfit lump of lard on top of them rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque wrote:
It always amazes me in these discussions when people appear to express the idea that skiing is a static and equipment based recreational non-activity . . . FFS!!!!

Who on this thread has expressed that idea? Sounds like you're raging against something that hasn't been said.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, These threads always first address equipment . . . condition/type/suitability, then technique . . . experience/lessons/on-line vids . . . But the reality is ALWAYS . . . the fitness of the numpty on top that determines the acquisition of skills and the ability to differentiate equipment foibles.

The best PSB admin could run is two weeks at a high altitude fat farm/gym.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque wrote:
These threads always first address equipment
Not always.
Masque wrote:
But the reality is ALWAYS . . . the fitness of the numpty on top that determines the acquisition of skills and the ability to differentiate equipment foibles..
Not really.
snow conditions
rob@rar, really? . . . elucidate.

I should add that I include mental fitness (the willingness to learn rather than the desire to slaughter) in the general term "fitness" wink
latest report
Masque,

There's a guy in our office who to look at him you wouldn't think he could ski 200 metres without stopping to catch his breath. He's got such a beer belly on him.

He'd ski the pants off you and me in a race. He's an ex area-champion from some mountaineous part of Austria. He still does very well on the company ski race day (large Austrian Company with entrants from all over Austria). Yes he would be faster if he got back in shape but his skill takes him a lost further than my fitness does, and to qoute someone else "my Fitness is better than most people'S fitness 15 years my junior".
snow report
DB, there are always unique individuals who fall outside the bell curve. You can't hold them up as a 'standard' or use them to rebut an argument. As for me . . . the further I fall from my perch the harder the climb to see the ladder to it. You as a young whipper-snapper will have a similar POV in the not too far future wink
latest report
Masque wrote:
rob@rar, really? . . . elucidate.

I should add that I include mental fitness (the willingness to learn rather than the desire to slaughter) in the general term "fitness" wink

I will almost never start with a contribution about kit (this thread is an example) and many people talk about technique so I don't think you can say discussion like this always starts by talking about equipment.

As for fitness, I don't believe it is as essential as you stated. It was only when I started working on L3 instructor exams that I felt I needed to work specifically on ski-related strength and conditioning, and I've worked hard this summer to reach a level I'm happy with going in to the winter. Not saying that fitness is a bad thing, but a lack of fitness won't hold you back from acquiring efficient technique until you get to a pretty high level of performance (for a recreational skier).

I won't disagree about a willingness to learn being important, and would add that humility about your ability is not a bad thing either.
snow report
Masque wrote:
The best PSB admin could run is two weeks at a high altitude fat farm/gym.

Well there is a good gym in Tignes.
snow report
forget the drills, lets do circuit training up and down the hill at hh... now seriously there is a thought...... doesnt exercising at lower temps have some effect on metabolism?
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
DB, there are always unique individuals who fall outside the bell curve. You can't hold them up as a 'standard' or use them to rebut an argument. As for me . . . the further I fall from my perch the harder the climb to see the ladder to it. You as a young whipper-snapper will have a similar POV in the not too far future wink

OK he's an extreme case but he's not the only one by a long way. Quite a few Austrians are unfit but once you get a group of them on the piste it's their skill and not their fitness that sets them apart.
ski holidays
DB, when did they acquire those skills? When they were young and fit within a society peer group that sees skiing as a national pastime(in relative terms) or as a late learner from a country that sees skiing as some sort of hoity-toity richman's aberration?

rob@rar illustrates my point, he spends an inordinate amount of time sliding around, his strength and balance responses are tuned to his sport yet even he admits to needing to up his game to progress. He has to recognise the disconnect between his continual skills reinforcement and that of the once or twice a year recreational skier.
latest report
Masque wrote:
He has to recognise the disconnect between his continual skills reinforcement and that of the once or twice a year recreational skier.
i do recognise it. You think it should be addressed by strength and conditiong as the only way to progress. I think that strength and conditioning is not very important compared to improving technical finesse, until you get to a pretty high standard (for a recreational skier). I think I'm a pretty good example to illustrate my point.

IMO the biggest improvements in skiing once you have acquired the foundation skills are to be found in timing, subtle changes, feel for what is happening beneath your skis,. Significant improvement is not not going to come from just becoming very strong and trying to dominate your equipment and the bit of the mountain you're on at the time. Obviously the higher the level you ski at the larger are the forces which are generated. You need to be strong enough to work with those forces. You're also likely to want to access good snow, and if that involves walking for it it will fairly demanding in terms of strength and conditioning. But those are secondary compared to using your equipment effectively.
snow conditions
Masque,

I'm with rob@rar on this one.

This bloke started at 43 .........

http://youtube.com/v/KoQ5IEUpKEA
snow report
Regarding fitness and technique haven't I read on SH's, in fact I'm sure it's actually been said to me, that better technique will make me ski more efficiently and could compensate somewhat for a lack of fitness. Though of course I do concur that to have both technique and fitness would be better still. I'm sure I've also heard people say that a good skier should be able to ski any ski, so that sounds like it is down to technique again. Perhaps that all means that the order of desirability should be technique, fitness and lastly new sparkly kit!!
snow conditions
Megamum, spot on, IMO.
ski holidays
Quote:

a good skier should be able to ski any ski

my younger son is a good example - he's a very good skier and a pretty good snowboarder. He has a terrible old snowboard bought 8 years ago ex-hire from a shop in Brighton for about £40, and some skis given away by a snowhead leaving Morzine at the end of the season. He never complains about his equipment though when a family member (a weaker snowboarder, but one who likes to have all the gear) lent Nick his second-best snowboard he did comment that it was far easier to ride!

He wouldn't claim to be very fit these days, though he's young and pretty strong. He does say that a hard day's boarding is far more physically demanding - he skis for relaxation, especially if the snow is hard and off-piste not up to much. My OH loved skiing because although his physical capacity was greatly weakened by heart disease he could use lifts to get up the slopes and gravity to get down, and not have to exert much energy at all. He did struggle in bad conditions though, because if he fell, especially in deeper snow, climbing out again exhausted him.

Skiing is a great sport for older people who have a decent basic technique but are not super-jocks and want to keep doing it till they are old, as DB's video illustrates.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Good grief! I'm not talking about becoming a gym bunny or body building . . . but building general fitness, aerobic stamina and maintenance of that as we age. Legacy skills gained in our youth (relative) can compensate for declining health and/or fitness.

It's certainly true that skills acquired in our youth can compensate for fading physical prowess (there's the ghost of Franky Howard but there come a time when the paths cross and this no longer holds true.

There will come a time in everyone's life when we will have to make a decision . . . Am I content to just stay at this level or even admit that I no longer want to feel challenged 'or' do I want to keep pushing to improve my skills and progress in my sport?

Sliding on snow is a systemic activity with three 'primary' (let's not get hung-up in minutiae) factors . . . snow condition, equipment, user

Can we agree that snow/surface conditions influence the type of tool you'd prefer to use? . . . Apocrypha says yes and even given all the marketing bullѕhіt; Personal, empirical evidence says I will inflate your lungs with an ABS cartridge before letting you deflower a powder field with planks afore I can caress it with my board Shocked Dropping back into reality for a moment . . . we seem to be defined by those of us who yearn for a quiver (and mine would require a Pantechnicon to transport) and the rest who will persevere and manage on whatever we have to hand (which is where I inevitably end up rolling eyes )

And we come to the 'user'. Us muppets on top. Since we're the only part of this trinity with any sort of cognitive ability or dynamic input . . . can we say that we are the most important part of the system?

Whatever our age or condition, when we first begin to learn we have two major issues to deal with . . . the first is 'FEAR!' (that's a different part of this argument) The second is 'the Physical Challenge'. Those first few weeks are Hell!!! Stretching muscles and joint movement far beyond daily norms; Repetitive movements building Lactic Acid levels to incredible cramp and residual pain; The fatigue on day three or four.

Skills acquisition not only needs a positive mental approach but the physical ability to cope with, absorb and respond to both external instructor input but also to recover and adapt to the new and very aberrant external forces experienced.

All this tells us is that if you want to progress or at least maintain competence as the OP desires . . . The first part of the system to tune is yourself and that becomes more important as we age and assume a more sedentary lifestyle.

Quote:
Skiing is a great sport for older people who have a decent basic technique but are not super-jocks and want to keep doing it till they are old, as DB's video illustrates.
It's also very easy to remember a skill and not have the physical ability to perform it adequately.

The title of this section says it all "Bend ze Knees" That's what it's all about. Your physical ability to learn, apply and progress . . . whatever with and wherever you slide down the hill. You can't learn a new trick if you can't perform it. rolling eyes
snow report
Masque, I'll try and boil it down to a shorter post. You wrote
Quote:
But the reality is ALWAYS . . . fitness of the numpty on top that determines the acquisition of skills
(my italics).

I fundamentally disagree with the italicised points. Even couch potatoes can become good recreational skiers.

I have hardly ever seen a recreational skier being held back in their skills development by a lack of fitness. I've seen plenty of skiers whose potential contribution of their high fitness levels to their skiing is held back by their lack of skills development.

My point is not an argument to say that improving fitness is a bad thing, just that it is not a necessary thing for people who go on ski holidays one or more times per year.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 6-10-13 21:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rob@rar, So . . . what you're saying is the OP just needs to get some instruction . . . ignoring his own admission that his physical abilities are restricted.

That would also imply that you had no need to raise your own physical ability to progress . . . pick which side of the fence you want to lean on wink
snow report
Quote:

Not saying that fitness is a bad thing, but a lack of fitness won't hold you back from acquiring efficient technique until you get to a pretty high level of performance (for a recreational skier).

Hm. This is surely only true beyond the point where you're fit enough to ski effectively all day, purely from the point of view of it limiting the amount of practice you can get.
snow report
Masque, you seem especially incapable of comprehension in this thread!

I'm saying that making improvements to his skills (which doesn't have to come from instruction) will make him a better skier and will probably cure his judder problem which I believe (without having seen him ski) is purely a technical issue. I am also saying that it will not be necessary for him to work on strength and conditioning in order to fix this problem. Please consider the italicised point.

As for my experience, I got to L2 instructor qualification without doing much in the way of specific strength and conditioning and I'm by no means imaginable a natural athlete and at that point had a typical office-based job. Beyond L2 the physical demands are much higher, so your overall development as a skier needs to take that into account. However, I have repeatedly said my comments are with reference to holiday skiers, the majority of whom will be skiing below that level
snow report
finestgreen wrote:
Quote:

Not saying that fitness is a bad thing, but a lack of fitness won't hold you back from acquiring efficient technique until you get to a pretty high level of performance (for a recreational skier).

Hm. This is surely only true beyond the point where you're fit enough to ski effectively all day, purely from the point of view of it limiting the amount of practice you can get.
I don't think it is necessary to practice all day, every day to improve your skills. If it was, skiing wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun as it is, and only the dedicated few would do it.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I'll be out of touch for 2-3 days I'll come back to this Blush
latest report
Masque wrote:
rob@rar, I'll be out of touch for 2-3 days I'll come back to this Blush
You can if you want, but we'll both keep repeating the same point as I won't change my mind and you're wrong. So perhaps time to move on...?

wink
latest report
Quote:
I won't change my mind and you're wrong.

nothing like an open mind eh? (couldn't resist wink ) gotta go, have fun.
latest report
Masque, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy