Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much for a Courchevel bubble!!

Poster: A snowHead
They are selling off the old Foret lift bubbles for 4000 each.. what!!!.. although I could squeeze a seasonniare bed in wink

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/09/18/courchevel-77-oeufs-a-vendre-mais-le-prix-fait-debat
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnowRetreat, Shocked 4,000 euro !!!!! is a bit steep for a new garden shed me thinks?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
THe 2Alpes ones went for between 700€ and 1500€ at auction.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are probably not expecting them to just sit in people's gardens, the local TV station has an old Chamrousse one in the studio and interviews people in it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This kind of inflationary phenomenon was once known as the South Sea Bubble

http://www.thebubblebubble.com/south-sea-bubble/

[end of historical note]
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
4000!! for what ? A face to face four man (well, 2+2) and a bit of fibreglass.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thirty06, 'a piece of skiing history' will be the sales pitch, I predict.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe there is a market for 'Old times sake' wink wink
Details here

Quote:
This will depend on design of bubble and personnel choice! For the smaller face-to-face bubble, such as those up from Le Praz or the Chenus

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good grief, they look like 80s relics. Surely they were decomissioned years ago?

Does anyone remember those ghastly stand-up metal enclosure lifts from the 80s commonly known as cattle trucks?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, Those style 'eggs' are still being used to access the Glacier in La Plagne, but are being replaced for 2017.
Which is slightly worrying as La Plagne may start to lose it's reputation for old slow lifts and long queues.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's some kind of dealer in Taninges with a yard full of old bubbles from various resorts, often fancied popping in to have a look and see how much they are but never had time when passing through.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia wrote:

Does anyone remember those ghastly stand-up metal enclosure lifts from the 80s commonly known as cattle trucks?

Like those in AdH?

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cacciatore wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

Like those in AdH?

Thought they were lobster pots?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe, but "stand up metal enclosure lifts" seems like a reasonably accurate description, no? Probably more accurately descriptive than a lobster pot, IMVHO.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cacciatore, much more accurate Smile
snow conditions
sarah, got a feeling there also are similar lifts out of Vallandry/Peisey up to Les Arcs (or certainly used to be).
latest report
queen bodecia, I think they've got some of those in Les Menuires, but not entirely sure. Worst of both worlds, particularly when 5 mates decide it would be fun to "share" which means getting crammed against a cold metal bar around the outside with a hangover.
snow report
Cabriolets Puzzled
Feels like a crummy ride at a run down fair.
snow report
I think they do have them in Les Menuires, or at least they did when I was there in January. I was not impressed!!
latest report
Croisette lift in Les Menuires I think, and I've also seen something similar in Flaine, but fortunately very short - Telebenne.
latest report
Holy cr*p! I didn't realise anywhere still actually used them!
ski holidays
queen bodecia, Those little fibreglass bubbles were still in use in Courchevel/Le Praz last season. One of the most shocking lifts I've ever been on (you had to slide the ricketty doors shut yourself, and my skis only just scraped into the narrow metal ski racks). There was also a huge queue as people weren't prepared to cram in 4 to a lift.
snow report
If we're doing ancient gondola willy waving, then I have one thing to say...

Männlichen
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
sarah, got a feeling there also are similar lifts out of Vallandry/Peisey up to Les Arcs (or certainly used to be).

Sometimes called yogurt pots or lobster pots. They run from Peisey (the original village) to Plan Peisey (the ski station).

ski holidays
CathS wrote:
Those little fibreglass bubbles were still in use in Courchevel/Le Praz last season

...and will still be in use this season. Replacement of the Foret bubble isn't planned until next year (though they have already started marking out the line of the new lift).
snow conditions
Permanently scarred from the "6" man Pleney bubble in Morzine. With bikes on the outside they're a frickin sod to get in to / out of. And they were like the red/yellow eggs but a bit bigger. Glad they've demolished it and putting something from this millennium in its place.

Remember the red egg in Les Gets. Take ski poles inside, and my 135's were wedged between floor and ceiling.

Found this one in Maribor. Even Eastern Europe managed to have more spacious cabins! Think it was from the one that fell down a few years ago? Replacement is ace... can get 2 bikes inside Smile

snow report
Seems there are many examples of alternative uses for old bubbles:

snow conditions
well the ad says they are 77 years old and I can well believe it.

Only bubble ive been in where my snowboard is wedged in with me and still sticking out of the top between the "doors"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

La Plagne may start to lose it's reputation for old slow lifts and long queues

Not with me it hasn't, as far as I am concerned it has a reputation for new fast lifts and long queues.
ski holidays
Pretty exciter this has turned into a discussion about lifts Smile
snow report
Saw some old ones from Grimentz for sale yesterday in Sion, I'm going to check tomorrow and see how much they are. Always fancied one....god knows for what!
ski holidays
I have a fully refurbished bubble for sale. We totally renovated it for our wedding and used it as a photobooth. It's listed on ebay at the moment (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Ski-Bubble-Fully-Restored-/321620645771?). Drop me an email if you're interested to charlie_senior@me.com deal to be done on the price if you can collect. Charlie.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy