Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Starting out with achilles problems.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,
I can ski and have for years but snapped my right achilles in 2006 in the Jungle whilst in the forces and then snapped my left achilles 6 weeks ago playing football, muppet that I am!

Anyway, after years of climbing, mountaineering, skiing etc I'm a bit worried that because i have snapped both of them, I'll be unable to do all of that so I quite fancy taking up snowboarding on the recommendation of my neighbour who is an instructor and he has also had a ruptured achilles.

My right one was a complete snap with an operation and months of rehab and it seems fine although sore at the moment compensating for the left one. The left one was a partial rupture so conservative treatment until fixed in a walking air boot. Should be in normal shoes by mid December.

So I guess in a roundabout way of asking, assuming rehab/physio goes ok, would taking up snowboarding be a good idea? I'm sacking the skiing, climbing and mountaineering for now and will concentrate on getting fit and I'm planning on heading with my neighbour to the slope in Holland for some free lessons.

Has anyone else snapped one or both of their achilles and can snowboard just fine? I'm assuming the answer is of course yes but may take some time. Never really tried snowboarding but looking forweard to trying it as I always need to be doing something.

Any advice, tips or anything that may be of use to me will be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance, Den
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not snapped an achilles but have had problems with them from running. I've always found skiing achilles friendly as the foot is so well supported in the ski boot. Can't you just carry on skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi mate,
thanks for the reply. Should have said, my consultant suggested I didn't ski so taking his advice really.
I thought the same supportive wise in snowboarding boots so thats whay I thought I'd give it a go.
Den
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had an achilles problem that really wasn't giving me range of motion that was suitable for skiing last winter. Dug out my snowboard boots and was able to not waste a holiday. I'd say flexibility and how it feels with a ski boot on are the key determinants rather than specific injury history but I have now snowboarded successfully with both a torn calf and inflamed achilles when I couldn't have skied.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I snapped an Achilles one November and was skiing again next season at about 80% and 100% the next season. I see no reason why snowboarding should be any worse.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi FB and WS,
appreciate the replies, thats what I wanted to hear.
I guess I just need to learn to snowboard now!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Denni, they used my Plantar tendon to stitch mine back together. Rehab and yoga will result in better strength and more files ability. You'll be fine just stop trying to muscle through stuff . . . Bloody daisies always think that the only way to do anything is with brute strength. If you learn to snowboard correctly your Achilles will not be stressed at all.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

more files ability

Puzzled can't work what that is supposed to be.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HutToHut, files ability = flexibility + autocorrect
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi folks,
Many thanks for all the answers, much appreciated.
Having had a word with the physio, the usual caveats apply, proper rehab and slowly slowly catchy monkey when it comes to learning the dark art.
Looking forward to it!
Den
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HutToHut, on a phone with really crappy predictive txt. sorry Embarassed Richard_Sideways, ta for the correction snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways, Masque, thanks. Computes now Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy