Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The difference between BASI levels......

Poster: A snowHead
^ I think we can agree to disagree about pressure being a steering element.
Although you cant make an entire turn using just pressure you can clearly change turn radius (so long as there is Edge and Rotation present)

Apart from that we are almost on the same page.
Good debate jimmer, mike pow et al., it got me thinking which is good.
Enjoy the snow Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 21-09-13 7:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think obe thing that would be common at all levels..... A lot less talking about Pressure, Edge and Rotation.......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scooby_simon, Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Good debate jimmer, mike pow et al., it got me thinking which is good.
Enjoy the snow Very Happy

Indeed. Very illuminating to read other instructors' views and interpretations.

Quote:
^ I think we can agree to disagree about pressure being a steering element.
Although you cant make an entire turn using just pressure you can clearly change turn radius (so long as there is Edge and Rotation present)

Apart from that we are almost on the same page.

Based on the interpretations in this thread and the 'pole planting' thread I'd say that you and I are in the same section of the library.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ on both occasions we were furiously disagreeing.
however..... much of the argument wasn't about the basic points.
rather the disagreement was about the more subtle details and interpretation of the definitions & jargon's used.

i.e
is pressure a "steering element" or is it "a resultant effect which must be managed"?

actually it doesn't matter how you describe it.....
people get hung up on national associations having different techniques.
i.e BASI vs France vs NZ vs Austria.

in reality the outcomes and styles of skiing are almost identical.
it is the model, and terms used, to describe the turn that differs (not the actual way of skiing).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, Is your d*ck bigger than Jimmer's................... or your carved/edged/pressured turns that much tighter????????????????? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimastaaah wrote:
Haggis_Trap, Is your d*ck bigger than Jimmer's................... or your carved/edged/pressured turns that much tighter????????????????? Toofy Grin

^ seriously : is that really the best you can contribute ?
try harder wee baw's....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, kitenski is your question answered now? wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ha ha Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Indeed Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Not totally off topic though.... Right or wrong the entire 'BASI-oid' manual is basically based up on the 3 steering elements and how they relate to the Central Theme (teaching Snow Plough -> Parallel) and also the 5 strands of higher level performance (bumps, steep, variable, high speed, freestyle)

For any that gives a hoot the technical assessment criteria is listed here.

L2
http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/BASI%20Level%203%20Tech%20More%20About%20Course_30Jan13_Web_25Feb13.pdf
L3
http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Level_2_Instructor_More_About_the_Course_July_2011.pdf

BASI is (IMHO) very 'piste performance' biased.
Pass or fail is based being able to demonstrate that you can perform a list of tasks to a defined standard.
For L3 the following summary for piste performance comes directly from a trainer....

Quote:
piste criteria is grippy (from the fallline) steered short turns and long carved turns where you influence the turn shape by applying pressure on the ski and making angles.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abd wrote:
So, kitenski is your question answered now? wink

I lost the will to follow this thread days ago Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ clearly still here having a peek though wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Really?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Surely use of pressure to the front or tail will create a turn too. (This out of my Level 1 course)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, You wrote : "For me the difference between a good instructor and great instructor is the quality of what they "see"." I agree and that's the main problem. A "normal" ski instructor is looking at the style, how in general the skier is moving, how is the balance, ... but if you are not looking at the skis, how the skis are working on the snow you wouldn't be a good or a great ski instructor. First look at the skis how they are going on the snow and you'll have all the information you need. Then have a look at the rest of the body just to confirm why the skis are not going well ; that's my opinion!
snow conditions
snow area wrote:
... that's my opinion!
I agree Claude, start looking from the skis upwards.
snow report
Very interested to read through this topic and especially rob@rar's comment about the quality of what instructors see. I'll now throw another comment into the pot...
I was a Ski Leader (Snowsport Scotland basic qualification) for over 20 years and also did ASSI so taught my pupils on dry slope and lead them on snow on school trips. Now retired from teaching so not kept up the ski qualification. However I judge world cup mogul skiing so I can look at skiing and comment about body position/movements, ski edging, carving etc. We all spend several days each autumn at a seminar analysing skiing to make sure we are judging to the same standards. We have to write down a summary of what we are seeing to justify the scores we give at competitions. So I can see what is happening but I'm not an instructor or coach so can't say how to correct faults and I certainly don't ski at world cup level!
Discuss...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy