Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"I have a five year plan"....

Poster: A snowHead
Also, have you actually taught at all? Or are you just going through the instructor route to improve your skiing?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would never be able to achieve what Touchguru has, however much time and money I were to throw at the endeavour, He has youth and exceptional athleticism on his side. But it says such a lot for Rob and Scott that they can not only help someone like Touchguru to achieve his goals, but also contribute so much to the skiing of more, er, mature women, even when, as in my case, they were riddled with bad habits. The IOS system definitely works wonders! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

contribute so much to the skiing of more, er, mature women, even when, as in my case, they were riddled with bad habits.

wink +1
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another thumbs up for IOS here. Had a morning with Rob in Hemel yesterday and went from feeling that I was probably going to chicken out of next year's planned trip to Les Arcs with a large gang of mixed ability skiers and boarders to now actually thinking about finding some webcams to look at! A light bulb moment for me when I started to flex the ankles rather than bend ze knees - I don't think my ankles had played any part in this activity before yesterday!! Thanks again Rob! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zellamsee2301, welcome to snowHeads snowHead and nice 1st post Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zellamsee2301, welcome to snowHeads and to the merry band of IOS admirers! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks once again for all the positive comments guys Smile

clarky999, focusing on the ISIA Tech first and foremost and then micro-planning the various L4 modules although I have already decided on the subject matter for my written project and have done some race training, as the earlier you start in the process with this the better I think.
Yes I think it is achievable with correct application and training. It is certainly no fait accompli and will require a serious investment of time to get there. At your age, with time on your side and proper planning, I see no reason why you shouldn't at least aim for it.

reded78, no problem at all mate Smile As rob@rar says, L2 is achievable with the situation as you describe, but L3 requires another level of investment of time and money, never mind a very understanding partner/family.

Megamum, thank you Blush I am not really all that good at taking praise, but thank you for your kind words.

abd, Great stuff and best of luck with all that lies ahead. Just remember to enjoy the journey and not take things too seriously Smile (I have along the way sometimes forgotten why I originally started skiing, which was to enjoy myself as much as possible doing something I love)

jimmer, Thanks. Just the last few seconds were in Zermatt this past August where I was principally bumps training.
Teaching people comes fairly easily to me due to my coaching background (as opposed to actual skiing which I have had to work really hard at in comparison!) and I always wanted to teach skiing as soon as I got a lot better at it.
I have done at least 400 hours of teaching, but the most rewarding teaching I have done (and which was new to me) was on my Adaptive Instructor qualification where I taught children with special needs to ski or at least enjoy skiing. The most rewarding teaching I have done in ANY sport! Very Happy

Pedantica exceptional athleticism!!?? My body, after many years of sport, would vehemently disagree with you!! Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Touchguru, Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zellamsee2301, welcome to snowHeads. I really enjoyed yesterday's Building Confidence clinic with you, and I'm delighted to see your anticipation for your next ski trip. I pretty sure you're a better skier than you think you are!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just so people know; the person flowa refers to is a semi pro footballer, fitness instructor and very motivated. He worked his guts out at Hemel before he went and had a weeks alpine training before his L2. BUT; IMO he was ready without the mountain.

He passed his L1 a few months after he started skiing; he learns very quickly!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just a little bump to congratulate Touchguru on passing his Level 3 Technical exam today in Zermatt.. Awesome achievement in a short space of time, roll on Level 4 !!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can I book him for a lesson yet? snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Touchguru, many congratulations. snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Touchguru, many congratulations.

great effort, all those hours training have paid off!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Touchguru, Congratulations! snowHead
snow report
Just watched this video ,and what can i say. Very inspirational . Now all i need to do is tell my kids that i am stopping their allowance so that i can go skiing more often Toofy Grin
snow report
Touchguru, well done! It seems like 5 minutes ago that you were a virtual beginner. Brilliant. Very Happy
latest report
Well done Mike Cool
ski holidays
Well done indeed snowHead
latest report
I'd like to know how much the jump was, in terms of technique, from level 1 to 2.
snow conditions
ALQ, in what terms??

Longs have to be clean edge to edge on a blue run, for L1 it was only bottom 2/3s of the turn (from memory)
Shorts, lots more dynamic and earlier grip

THen L2 adds in bumps and variables, neither of which is in the L1!
ski holidays
Touchguru, congratulations, sounds like there is no stopping you Very Happy
latest report
Megamum wrote:
kitenski stopped him once, or rather, they stopped each other wink
ski holidays
kitenski, thanks. Just curious and found utube vids for L2.
snow report
I missed this first time around. Impressive - well done to all involved. Very Happy
snow report
Touchguru, Well done Smile
ski holidays
Thanks for all the congrats everyone Smile

Spent two fantastic weeks in Tignes on an ISIA training course and then had a great two weeks in Zermatt, with the first week being a BASI L3 Performance training course (a bit like the 1st week of the previous 2 week L3 Tech) and the 2nd week being the actual ISIA/L3 Tech.

8 out of 21 people passed with a couple of near misses.

Really pleased with how things went and we had some excellent BASI trainers in the 2 weeks who were really knowledgable and very supportive.

Next steps....relax for a while before starting proper planning for the ISTD/L4 pathway next year! Very Happy
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Megamum wrote:
kitenski stopped him once, or rather, they stopped each other wink

Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Touchguru, could you share what training you've done since passing your l2??
latest report
kitenski, Besides any Hemel stuff on my own, I think it was the following:(I have skied more obviously but these are just the specific training blocks)
I think it is very important to NOT solely undertake training, but also to ski as much as you can in all sorts of terrain to develop your skills outside the controlled environment of a training camp/session.

2011 - 2 weeks of race training in Tignes in July, 10 days of general instructor training in Tignes in November

2012 - 2 days of ISIA training in Chamonix 2 days of ISIA training in Morzine in March, 1 week of ISIA training in Verbier in March, 2 week ISIA Tech exam in Verbier in March - FAILED
1 week of bumps training in Tignes in December although this was mainly powder skiing due to the amount of snow.

2013 - 2 1/2 weeks of ISIA training (mainly bumps) in Cervina in August.
1 day at Chill Factore for bumps training in September.
2 weeks of ISIA training in Tignes and the one week BASI performance course in Zermatt before the Tech as above.

2014 and 2015....TBA Very Happy
snow conditions
Touchguru,
Quote:

Besides any Hemel stuff on my own

...which was inspirational to watch. FranzClammer would do well to emulate your discipline. (I couldn't! Embarassed )
snow conditions
Touchguru, Del was saying nice things about you today. Who was your Tech Trainer?
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
Touchguru,
Quote:

Besides any Hemel stuff on my own

...which was inspirational to watch. FranzClammer would do well to emulate your discipline. (I couldn't! Embarassed )

Actually, Pedantica I think you of all people probably could if you really wanted to!
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Touchguru, Del was saying nice things about you today. Who was your Tech Trainer?

Really!!?? I am surprised he is saying that after the pro callout I gave him from the chairlift.... Smile

Del was really good in the training week. Set a relaxed environment and there was some great progress made by all the group in some challenging conditions.
After the Performance week with Del, I had Izzy Milne for the Tech week with Paul Garner overseeing things.
latest report
Touchguru, Laughing
snow report
Touchguru, cheers Mike, good to see all that effort paid off then!! Need to sort out my L2 resit in 2014 then take stock of what/if I go on ...
snow conditions
Very inspiring, and good to see how the path paves out for others. I'm looking to get started on specific training and level 1 towards the end of this season, by which time I should have five-six weeks in the Alps under my belt. Hopefully I won't have too many horrific bad habits to get rid of, but we'll see. Ideally once level 2 has been passed I'd like to try and get some work with that so as to put money away for the level 3 - any thoughts from anyone on the realism of that? The coaching side of things at least should be fine for me as I'm getting plenty of experience of that through my Uni degree.

@Touchguru - Where would you ideally like to work, if you don't mind me asking? Are you decently fluent in another language/were you before you started training?
ski holidays
kitenski, good luck with the L2. Sure with all the effort you are putting in that you will get there this time.

rasmanisar, Ideally in France, as I have a place there but I would have no problem working in Switzerland, Austria or Italy either if the right thing came along.

I could speak a number of languages before I started training however I couldn't speak French, which I can now.
snow report
Quote:

I could speak a number of languages before I started training however I couldn't speak French, which I can now.

I used to like you before hearing that snowHead Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

I used to like you before hearing that snowHead Toofy Grin

Happy Doesn't mean they are all useful though!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy