Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2013/2014: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
Skiing in VT. Day 1.
Avi risk 3 off-piste. Factor 30 suncream. Sunny with occasional high cloud.
21000" vertical of skiing - we weren't hanging around Toofy Grin
Piste conditions are very good but the south-facing slopes got a little snotty underfoot later in the day. (Not quite elephant snot, but not far off).
Heard three detonations (don't know where).

We sort-of followed the sun today (Clockwise lifts, starting with Cascades) and probably hit (most of) the pistes at their best.
Good contact/grip but lumps developed quite quickly and most runs became mogul fields (terrain features?) over the course of the day .

Looked at the zip-wire in Orelle but pretty fierce head-wind rather buggered that idea - tomorrow...? IT WILL BE DONE!!

Went off to explore various 'beside-the-piste' options and everything is crusted or double-crusted and skied out. On occasions my skis were going in various directions APART from the one I was thinking of.
Still skied them though. "Challenging" would be the most complimentary adjective I can come up with, but 'bl00dy awful' and 'knackering' would probably be more accurate.
There is simply no powder to be found/had.

Best run of the day?
Turn right and double back off the top of 'Col', traverse left as far as you can. It is all tracked out so you can't go too wrong, but off-piste-wise it was the best of the day.
And for the first time ever I didn't even get cold on Col!

Now off to bed!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HossDoc, these kind of conditions you need to find some nice spring snow that has melted during the day, to smooth out any tracks, the. Refrozen overnight, then you hit it as the first few cms have melted/softened....

But from what I read it's not been freezing overnight
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers HossDoc, today could be the warmest day of the week. Keep us updated Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
HossDoc, these kind of conditions you need to find some nice spring snow that has melted during the day, to smooth out any tracks, the. Refrozen overnight, then you hit it as the first few cms have melted/softened....

But from what I read it's not been freezing overnight

It has been freezing overnight, and there is some good spring snow, but not lift-served ... that's all tracked out
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Variable conditions off piste around the 3 Valleys today:

Nice chalky snow + softness up high in Mottaret:

Plane missing the runway and getting stuck off piste in Val T ! :

Firm spring snow in the Epaule Bouchet couloir

And perfectly cooked underneath:

Almost impossible to sum up conditions, but true North and North-East seem to be holding on to cold snow quite well, sunnier aspects extremely variable, Val T and Orelle look like they had a lot of wind last week and generally the Sahara snow layer is putting in a re-appearance almost everywhere...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another good day in the 3V today - my favourite tour (possibly?) from Courchevel via Rocher de Plassa and Les Glacerets and over (through) the Breche Portetta down to Pralognan.

In the halls of the mountain kings:

The Breche has become a victim of the 'skitour effect' and sadly the top part of the couloir had had so many people side-slipping down it that a side-slip was the only reasonable option for the top 45º+ section as a trench was well formed that would have made turning a game of russian roulette.

Vadim below the first steep section:

Vadim and Amanda partway down the main couloir:

Vadim again in the more open 2nd half:

Happy team below the North East couloir.

Some great slush cruising eventually dropped us down to Pralognan and a well-earned beer!

For anyone interested I really wouldn't bother heading this way until we get some more snow... it is certainly skiable in one sense of the word, but when you can make turns all the way from the top in good conditions it just isn't quite the same when you are forced to side-slip the steep bits. The Glacerets descent on the other hand still had some soft old powder on the shadier aspects and would have held some more good turns down to Le Biol. Similarly the East face of the Aiguille du Fruit is looking good, with very few wet snow slides in it, but would definitely need an early early start with current temperatures...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice pics!

Will be heading out to VT on Saturday. Anyone currently there who can give an update on current conditions after the warm spell?

What is the local opinion about the weather situation over the next 3-4 days. A number of sites predicting a return to much colder temps, and snow Sat-Mon.

Hope so Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yep, snow is on the way
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saturday, 15:40 :
And the snow is falling since a couple of hours!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow all night, eased a little this morning, before starting again. Much colder today, with very poor visibility. About 30cm of fresh snow at 2500m, and currently snowing down to about 600m
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Finally stopped snowing at lunchtime today. Fresh powder to about half metre off piste, on piste very heavy going. Glorious weather Late this afternoon and hoping it now continues for the rest of the week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beautiful afternoon of sun - next few days are looking a bit varied, but hopefully we'll see a few hours of sun Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi guys. A group of us are driving over to the 3-valleys from La Plagne tomorrow. The plan was to drive to Courchevel Le Praz (1300) coz shortest distance according to Google Maps. We hoped to leave early and have breakfast there (coffee and croissants), but can't seem to find a suitable place: the bars/restaurants don't open for breakfast and the boulangerie/patisserie don't do coffee.
Any suggestions?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take the bubble up to 1850, walk across the piste, down the road then up the road a bit (more obvious than it sounds) and go in to the Forum building on your left. Boulangerie in there does coffees too (at a price).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
offpisteskiing, thank you, but we intend to avoid 1850 if at all possible.
Instead of Le Praz we might try La Saucisse Savoyarde in La Tania.
The bacon butties are inviting Very Happy
snow report
Jonpim, yes they do good things. We self cater in La Tania and use them for dinner each night
snow conditions
Thank you chrisb - we're off in 20 minutes snowHead
snow conditions
Anyone been in the 3 valleys recently, how are the conditions holding up? Off to VT on Sat....
snow report
#RCD, I'm off again this Sat too! Smile I was out there last week and conditions were good. They had a lot of snow on 22/23rd March, which meant conditions were fine for that week - although (while the pistes were fine) you could visibly see the snow melting from the start of the week to the end.

That said, snow on the pistes were fine and will be fine next week for sure. However, warm temperatures next week will probably mean sugary snow by lunchtime, which will mean choppy pistes potentially. And if the weather continues to be warm, then the following few weeks will be interesting!

Sorry, that's a long winded way of saying you'll be fine! If you still concerned you can always check out the webcams.

Oh, and welcome to Snowheads!!!!
snow report
Lower slopes were sugary by 9am this morning, and boilerplate higher. Still some good skiing to be had though, and very quiet. 80kph winds on the summits this morning.
ski holidays
Hi,

Do you think the 12th April - 19th April will be skiable? I have dreams of doing the 3 valleys escapade (most of the 3 valleys lift system) in a single day... Happy
snow report
mnbv wrote:
Hi,

Do you think the 12th April - 19th April will be skiable? I have dreams of doing the 3 valleys escapade (most of the 3 valleys lift system) in a single day... Happy

yes
ski holidays
mnbv, yes, and there's a few snowheads knocking round the area then too.
ski holidays
Just back Smile Great conditions, especially venturon, combe saulire, combe du vallon, orelle and la masse slopes which were better than when we were there mid-feb. After about 11am Suisses and pylons also great. Rosael route to orelle is very doable, snow great and it's not a particularly tricky black. Only notable 'to avoid' runs were maduit into meribel valley (still scraped hardpack at 2pm take aigle/niverolle instead) ditto Rocher in C1650, (belair lovely - do that instead) and the last bit heading into pas du lac from the VT/LM side (monster slush bumps post lunchtime everyday). The bottom of doron gets very slushy too. And don't do tetras in C1650 - nasty shaped weird and icy bumps, harder than the blacks! Everywhere else was holding up really well albeit the blacks are mostly a bit hard before about 11:30 and many blues/reds rather slushy from around 2:30 Smile We even made it down to le praz 1300 without too much rock dodging Wink

Enjoy those who are out this week!

aj xx
latest report
chrisb, La Saucisse Savoyarde in La Tania: the bacon butties were yummy, but the coffee was awful. We'll go elsewhere next time.

As for conditions: a.j. and others are quite right. Conditions on the 3-valleys, especially Val Thorens, are good.
Indeed, rather better than my beloved La Plagne (said goodbye today, until next season Sad ).
snow report
Quote:

said goodbye today, until next season

You don't do the Alps in summer, Jonpim? Just as good as the winter. wink
latest report
Jonpim, glad you had a good bacon buttie. Sorry to hear about the coffee, I dont drink coffee most of the time anyway.
ski holidays
Popped down to Meribel this morning, but it started pouring down with rain - not much fun! So we went back to Val Thorens where that rain was nice fluffy white snow Smile it's been bucketing down with snow for the past few hours. Lots of lovely fresh snow to play in Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New chair lift next year for Meribel Motteret:

http://youtube.com/v/vMoIUGQlJTM
snow report
Seems like I can not embed this video.........
ski holidays
I think if you replace the https with http in your link it will just automatically embed it for you.
latest report
Since we arrived in Meribel Village yesterday morning we've skied across the 3Vs and generally piste conditions are better than expected. Yes it's soft and slushy particularly after midday but stay above 1800m and things are pretty good.

Also a major bonus is that it seems to be very quiet Very Happy Worse queue so far was waiting for 4 people to get a chair before us heading back from C1850 this pm.
snow conditions
Hi Roger - you're clearly better then me Happy

As an intermediate skier of average fitness I'd say the conditions are working for me above maybe 2700m. Below that yes it slushy but also bumpy, which is a problem endurance wise. Right hand side of meribel is all slush. Left hand side and end of val thoren seem ok (col was good) at altitude. Peclet was the only busy lift and also not great conditions but I didn't try the glacier. I would try the high short lifts - glacier, col, thorens, 3 valleys, tappes red run (can't read the lift name).

Orelles / 4 th valley was bumpy and slushy to the top of Bouchet.

I'll probably try courcheval and left side of meribel tomorrow for completeness.

Like I say this report is from an intermediates perspective so probably doesn't apply to most on here Happy
snow conditions
Oh and low altitude traversing is best avoided - ours and cumin were a bit of a slog
latest report
mnbv, good summary. We were in VT last week and had a 3 Vallees pass - after a couple of trips to Meribel we decided to stick with VT as it was either too slushy or we got poured on with rain!

As long as you got there in the morning, we actually thought that Orelle was some of the best skiing in the resort. Those red runs were in perfect nick and the pistes were uncrowded.
ski holidays
Best run today? roc de 3 marches. Still in good condition at 3pm, lovely and soft but not at all lumpy

Proud dad moment this morning. Took 6yr old daughter for a blast from Meribel village to Courchevel 1850 and back via Saulire and she did really well Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi mnbv, ours and cumin are always best avoided wink
snow report
Thanks for the tips Roger! Happy

I ventured into courcheval valley this morning for an explore. The blue run creux was hardened snow with quarter inch of slush/powder - I could start carving turns but needed to resort to sliding into parallel turns just to get the turns in. It was ok but just short of 'nice'. So I cancelled my plans to explore the courcheval red runs in the area and headed back to the left side of meribel. (in hindsight I should have persisted lower in courcheval where I guess there was a bit more slush/powder to bite into?).

Anyway... the high side of left of meribel (blanchot) was unforgiving compacted snow (horrible scraping parallel turns). Further down though was good fun - blanchot and lapin had enough slush for carving although obviously slow runs. There was some compacted snow in the shade of the occasional trees but no one had a problem. There were some runs with compacted snow (rhodos?) but it was obvious and everyone was avoiding them.

Then I tried right side of meribel on the way to Roger's teppes recomendation. The first third of faon was compacted snow (north facing) but then it turns into the sun and it was great for carving. Combe Tougnete was fantastic.

Popping over the top of the mountain (maybe roughly 11:30) to the runs left of les menuires was great - all the runs from gross tougne up to becca were fantastic, plenty of fast carving and pretty much deserted. On some of the runs the powder was in clumps but it was easy to spot them and turn on them. And as Roger mentioned conditions were still great at 3pm.

The second half of the day was fantastic - thank you Roger! (and congratulations to your daughter!)

Does anyone know if courcheval and the high altitude runs left of meribel softened enough for carving in the afternoon?

mnbv
ski holidays
Handy Turnip - thanks for the morning orelles tip, unfortunately I'm slumming it in brides les bains so frustratingly out of reach in he morning! Happy
ski holidays
mnbv, Can't help with conditions but Chamois is my favorite piste in Meribel to carve turns on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy