Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-In, Ski-Out Hotel

Poster: A snowHead
Dibergio,
Quote:
In terms of resorts, not that bothered but at least within Europe and preferably avoiding Geneva and a long transfer.

Many of the resorts you are being recommended seem to involve both of the above conditions! Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Many of the resorts you are being recommended seem to involve both of the above conditions!

Geneva isn't the only airport in the village
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1, but if Geneva is out, all the others involve a long transfer assuming they have the option to book flights from wherever it is Dibergio wants to fly from. Have I missed where the OP is flying FROM?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't panic! I've reconsidered Geneva as a necessary evil!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm obviously confused (it's easily done with me as I am often on the berry juice or completely without reason due to lack of sleep and work pressure), but Lyon andChambery are both reasonably close to a number of the French resorts suggested, if it was the Austrian resorts then I guess it will depend on which one.

Feel free to call me whatever names or point out my numerous inadequacies as I am quite thick skinned in that respect (unless I have actually had a shandy or two then I tend to get a bit shouty sometimes) Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dibergio, not being funny but this all seems a bit random. As someone said earlier you can get ski/ski out all over the shop.

You mentioned you want somewhere with good tree skiing. You menioned you want good food. That's a given. You've mentioned chalets and hotels. One minute Geneva's in, next minute it's out. There is no mention of budget, dates, ski school requirements.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne, yeah it is a bit random. That's cos I don't know completely what I want - never have that? Embarassed

Changed my mind about Geneva based on the advice of others earlier on. Budget is below what ansta1 deems as reasonable - would like to get the package for under 2k (excluding ski hire / lift pass etc), and am probably thinking after Easter (23rd or 30th). Would probably have a private lesson or two.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dibergio wrote:
am probably thinking after Easter (23rd or 30th).

I think you are a month out. Easter is late April this year, and there's not going to be too many places open after that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is that 2k for 1 or for more people?

Cheap, reasonable, expensive and downright extortionate are all relative along with accepted standards of food, accomodation or service... Very Happy
(in reality I'm just pimping on the back of any thread I can to pump up my personal post count, could probably right a little 'bot' to do it for me, but it's more fun and personal this way) Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
(duplicate deleted)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 19-09-13 14:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dibergio, not much is going to be operating in that period, so your choice will be limited. European resorts start closing down in the week after Easter. As Easter is so late in 2014, I am seeing closing dates for sectors within ski areas from the Tuesday after Easter Sunday (i.e. when many Europeans return to work after the holiday weekend) and many resorts shutting up shop completely as of the Sunday after Easter. Are you tied to those dates?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobW, Samerberg Sue, ansta1, 23rd/30th March! Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ansta1, 2k for me and the fiancé. Supertravel do look good, but want the convenience of flights, transfers and accommodation.

Feel free to pimp away...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How many people is the 2k budget for?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

ansta1, 2k for me and the fiancé.
ski holidays
okay, 2k should be easy to do now or by waiting and getting a late deal where the snow conditions are best.

In your position, no fixed destination. I'd be hanging around and picking up a late deal where the snow is good. As an example some of the Supertravel chalets you see now for £1199 or more come down substantially a week or two before the date, sometimes with lift pass options thrown in. So what is showing now as £2400 plus your flights plus hire, plus passes can quite easily come down to £1600 including lift passes. (plus flights)

Ski total at Chalet Jean Blanc (on the road opposite the Croissette) so while not ski-in/out crossing one road isn't too bad, it's central so plenty to do and see in the evening. With lift passes for the 23rd of March, flying from Birmingham to Chambery (1hr 45 minute transfer max) it comes in just over the 2k budget (£2133). Ski total get lots of good reviews.
ski holidays
Dibergio,
Quote:
Layne, yeah it is a bit random. That's cos I don't know completely what I want - never have that?

For sure. But it's easier if you give all the known information in one dollop in the beginning, so that people don't waste their time providing information on stuff that just won't work. Because taking the "ski in/ski out" for example. Well certain places might only be ski/ski out during the middle of the season, or they may be ski/ski out only for good skiers. Knowing your budget, that's it two of you and the time you are going, etc gives people a much better chance of advising correctly.

As much as it pains me ansta1, is right on this occasion Little Angel . Two people, going that week, with no ski school requirement points very much to getting a late deal.
latest report
Quote:

As much as it pains me ansta1, is right on this occasion

and I bet that really really hurt to type that...... Very Happy
snow report
http://www.carlina-belleplagne.com/?lg=2
ski holidays
redrunmarcus, good shout....if you're well-heeled. They do a decent hot chocolate and rum there...that was about as far as my budget ran to Laughing
snow report
Milk Hotel in Les Carroz might fit the bill (rooms look good, food at lunchtimes is great and the service always good in our experience, though can't vouch for evenings), although it's at the bottom of a fairly short red coming home at night. It us, however, a lovely, straight and very wide red that's an absolute joy to end a day on and, because of its width, it's really easy to do as slowly as you like. In the morning, it's a gentle green roadway straight to the bubble and off you go.

We usually opt for a dedicated transfer to save hanging about, I think it's about €130 each way from memory and takes under an hour from Geneva. They've always been 100% reliable and the drivers are wise locals rather than 20 year old trainee WRC loonies.

http://www.milkhotel.fr/en/welcome-6.html
snow conditions
Hotel Chamois which is at the top of the Nyon lift in Morzine. You ski straight out onto the slopes (no walking at all)and it is a nice blue that takes you straight back to the door. Run by Australians who always have a BBQ going at Lunchtime at the Hotels Bar Inferno. The onl downside is that it is really hard to get down to Morzine in the evening if you like the nightlife but that said the bar is always good fun. Last year e got £50 return flights to Geneva and a £50 transfer organised by the hotel. You then have to get to the hotel via the Nyon lift. If you don't have skis you can hire them direct form the hotel.
ski holidays
+1 for Bertie's Hotel Vanoise in Plan Peisey, Les Arcs - right next to the Vanoise Express cable car. Very French and family owned.

Hotel Eldorador (became a Mercure) in Belle Plagne. Great location, nice sun terrace, dunno about standards though since Mercure took it over and blitzed the single rooms with no supplement I used to use.
snow conditions
Quote:

Oberlech��

+1
latest report
http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/index.php?id=13&L=1

An hour from Innsbruck, great food, fantastic value and on the piste. Well within your budget and a great ski area (including Ischgl). Would return in a heart beat
latest report
The missus has got the urge to book so I'm now starting to think about options for 22/23 March.

This week we've started thinking about Obergurgl especially the Josl, Getthard and Alpine but as we are getting married in the summer that maybe they are a bit too pricey.

Had a look at LeSki's Chalet Michele in Le Tania, and the Le Roserie options via Ski Olympic but we are thinking we might want a hotel not a chalet for once.

So I stumbled across Hotel Montana in Le Tania (and then noticed it was mentioned early on in this thread). It seems to meet most of our criteria, and we can get a superior room with a free lift pass for £800 each. Anybody have any recent experience with the Montana or Alpine Elements? I see from a search that AE get's mostly positive reviews and the hotel is well reviewed on Trip Advisor.
snow report
Dibergio, I highly recommend this place.

http://www.schlosshotel-fiss.com/en/

Check out the Winter Holiday 2012 video. The lift from the ski room up and onto the piste is just unbeatable. Also notice the piste-side Jacuzzi later in the same vid. Not cheap but good value

http://www.schlosshotel-fiss.com/en/hotel/photos-videos/

Best place I've been by a country mile - fantastic ski area too
latest report
I've been away with Alpine Elements a couple of times before and had no major problems. I have actually just booked to go to the montana in La Tania in January, taking advantage of the current 10% off offer on all holidays which ends tomorrow. Reviews had previously been mixed on alpine elements but the ones on the montana are very good so I am optimistic!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a look at Obertauern also. 1 Hour from Salzburg airport. Nearly all Hotels, ski in ski out. Money goes further than Obergurgl. Pretty much the same size of resort.Hotels possibly cheaper.
snow conditions
laura1182, well I've booked with AE at Montana too. Annoyingly the free lift pass deal ended on wednesday but I did get the 10% discount.

Roll on 23rd March!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy