Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-In, Ski-Out Hotel

Poster: A snowHead
Quite fancy the convenience of tying out a proper ski-in, ski-out hotel this season. Preferably some nice cruisey blues to start/finish on.

In terms of resorts, not that bothered but at least within Europe and preferably avoiding Geneva and a long transfer.

Any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Arc 1950. Fantastic ski area and easy to ski in/out of the resort village. I usually travel there via Chambery, Lyon or Grenoble airports. Of course you could also take the train to Bourg St Maurice!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
street arc,

I was in Arc 2000 in March and really liked the look of 1950 (that's whats got me thinking about it), but would prefer to try somewhere else. Good shout though...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try looking for BERGGASTHOF or BERGHOTEL on booking.com and see what turns up - loads of places in the Ski Amadé region which is a 45 minute drive along motorway from Salzburg Airport. But then again I'm constantly told that ski in ski out does not exist outside of France! wink

Some nice self-catering apartments piste side as well in a couple of places I know in Flachau, Schladming, etc. But they book out really fast and are premium proced at high season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val Thorens would suit ski in ski out, you can take the train to Moutiers or fly Grenoble/Chambery. Mind you I personally would rather fly to Geneva... Check out the hotel 3 Vallees and Le Sherpa - they are both nice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski in is available pretty much anywhere.
ski out? at what point does ski out become not ski out? Was going to suggest Tignes which claims ski-in/ski-out, but in reality depending on the hotel you'll have to walk 100m from the boot room cos it goes up hill to a point where you can ski from, and the ski-in bit means poling 100m the other way. Lots of hotels not classified as ski-in/ski-out all across the Alps within 100m of a lift and piste bottom which have essentially the same convenience as one with snow right to the boot room door.
And in any case the ski out bit means slide a little bit down a short slope to the lift. You'll have to still go up a lift to get in the first proper run (in general).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hotel terra nova in La Plagne is right a piste -- out of the boot room and ski down to a chair a few yards away

hotel serena in selva is (unofficially) ski in-out -- out of the boot room, climb over a low wooden fence, ski down to a drag !!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zürserhof in Zürs is perfect for skiing in and out, it's not cheap but it's a beautiful hotel and great ski area with lovely blues. Fly through Zurich and about 2 - 3 hour transfer
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hotel Druzba in Jasna. Very gentle blue to start and finish on, though not so many generally.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hotel Carolina in Belle Plagne, if it was any more ski in/ski out it would be a slalom gate. Loads of cruisey blues and lots of flights to Chambery.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flights in and out of Geneva are a lot more reliable than either Chambery or Grenoble. Not least because they don't get hit by French ATC strikes. But Chambery, in particular, is prone to disruption in bad weather.

Scheduled rather than charter flights in and out of Geneva are usually fine though like any airport it gets badly disrupted by any significant amount of snow.

All the airports are ghastly on Saturdays and only slightly less ghastly on Sundays but Geneva can cope with the numbers better than some of the others.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
hotel terra nova in La Plagne is right a piste -- out of the boot room and ski down to a chair a few yards away

hotel serena in selva is (unofficially) ski in-out -- out of the boot room, climb over a low wooden fence, ski down to a drag !!

Doesn't really count as ski out if you've only got a few yards before needing a lift!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the esprit hotel crystal 2000 in Courchevel is about as ski in/ski out as it gets, you can put you skis on in the boot room, ski down to le praz or to the pralong chair, and you can ski back into the boot room if you wish.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oberlech��
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Chalet des Alpes in Pila is right on the piste. You can't actually ski in or out due to the steps up/down from the book room (at least in your own skis), but once you've negotiated them...

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/italy-ski-holidays/pila/hotel-chalet-des-alpes/
snow report
I've used both of these, they fit the bill.
From Sport hotel ideal, a gentle ski from the back of the hotel to the Hochgurglbahn I gondola, Ski back to the front door.
From Tauerngoeckl a level slide of about 50mtr to Gamsleiten I chair. Ski back to the front door or at very least to the car park.
From Mittagspitz, a short 20mtr talk around the back of the hotel, and join the slope which runs down to the Uga Express car park. Ski back to the front door.
Sport Hotel Ideal in Hochgurglbahn http://www.sporthotelideal.at/
Hotel Tauerngoeckl in Oberetauern http://www.tauerngloeckl.at/EN/index.html
And my favourite.
Hotel Mittagspitz in Damuels http://www.alpenhotel-mittagspitze.at/
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies.

So based on what pam w says, I'm now persuaded that Geneva is the lesser evil.

I'll be going on a package down to convenience and price, so I think some of these suggestions will have to wait until I'm feeling a bit braver.

Dia_FindTransfers, La Sherpa looks perfect, but I do really like skiing in the trees, and from what I've heard about Val Thorens there isn't much of that. Am I wrong?

Something that offers good halfboard food as well would be nice.

Cheers
ski holidays
Some ideas for you :

-Hotel Graciosa through Ski Olympic in La Plagne. Flights from Manchester & Gatwick to Grenoble (not great as too small). 2 hr transfer. Ski Olympic have a couple of others that also fit your brief but haven't stayed at them.
-Hotel Montana through Alpine Elements in La Tania. Flights from Manchester or Gatwick to Geneva. 3 hr transfer.
-Terra Nova mentioned above in La Plagne through Crystal
-Hotel du Golf in Les Arcs through Crystal
snow conditions
At the more budget end of the market, may be work looking the Beausoleil via Rocketski in Alpe d'Huez.

Edge of the piste, 50m from the main lifts, close to easier terrain for the beginning/latter parts of the day, access to some awesome skiing.

I've stayed here in the past and came away quite impressed - good service, decent food and, in spite of it being semi-occupied with school trips, that did not impact at all negatively on the experience. The rooms were basic, but clean and comfortable.

Belle Plagne would also be worth a look - there are several ski in/out options via blue runs - nice and high too, so about as snow-sure as one could wish for.
snow report
landlockedpirate wrote:
Hotel Carolina in Belle Plagne, if it was any more ski in/ski out it would be a slalom gate.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Brilliant Laughing
snow conditions
SnowMonkey69 +1 for Graciosa. Also stayed in La Foret in Valandry with Ski Olympic and that is ski-in/ski out.
latest report
Hotel Kaya Reberty. No trees mind.
ski holidays
Uber Lech but Uber pricy.
snow conditions
we are off here in Feb, counts as ski-in/out as far as I'm concerned. http://www.hotelalpina.com/en-index.html
ski holidays
The Mooserwirt hotel in St Anton is (I presume, the bar is anyway!) ski in/out (only a few hundred metres down to the lift though): http://www.mooserhotel.at/en/dasmooserhotel.html Not cheap though!
ski holidays
The Skilt run by skibound in Les Menuires (between Meribel and Val T in the 3V). Cheap. Used for school holidays but don't let that put you off. Decent bar. Right at bottom of main run into Les Menuires. Not for someone who wants haut cuisine. It is literally ski to about 10 yards from the door. Going out in the morning there are 2 lifts within 50 yards
snow report
SnowMonkey69, thanks for those - Olympic Ski look like a great company. Better than Crystal/Inghams? Looks it.

ansta1, looks good enough for me too. Is that through a package or direct?
latest report
We've booked the obergurgl one direct but I think some of the TO's use the same hotel. google is your friend, I'd be sitting down though I think the price for our room start with a 5 and end in 300 (but we are getting one of the biggest rooms available and going in school holidays.... Blush
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Ski Olympic (far better than Crystal/Inghams) - Grand Planica and Petit Planica in La Rosiere are ski-in/ski-out. You can almost grab the little Poma as it passes your bedroom window. If the back door is open, you can ski straight into the boot room.
snow report
Dibergio, no - you are right, no trees in Val Thorens but you have access to the rest of the 3 Valleys where there are plenty of tree runs. I guess not having trees makes it easier to build ski in ski out? Smile

La Tania could suit you, lovely tree runs back to resort. Out of the TOs mentioned Ski Olympic is probably your best bet!
latest report
Mountain Sun hotel/chalet in San Cassianno is on the piste (where the red and blue runs cross) and at the bottom of a 2.5K toboggan run!, good value and 15 mins skiing/lifts from the Sella Ronda. 2.5/3 hr transfer from Venice or Innsbruck I believe. Worth having a look Very Happy
snow report
Hotel Alpina in Obergurgl/tyrol is perfect for skiing in and out, a beautiful hotel and great ski area http://www.hotelalpina.com
snow conditions
Almost all of the hotels in Oberlech are ski in ski out. Not the cheapest option mind!
Also, try the Club Med in Val D'Isere.
ski holidays
andy, not sure where you are talking about in Tignes, everywhere I've stayed there is more like a 20m walk which is nothing. 100m is actually quite painful, don't know how 100m from boot room could possibly qualify as ski in/out. But Tignes defintely loads of accom that would suit OP
ski holidays
We stayed in Hotel Terra Nova in Plagne Centre at Easter. Good food, clean rooms and truly ski in ski out (it's directly on on a blue run), then there's a whole host of cruisy blues in La Plagne. We flew to Chambery with Thomson / Crystal.
snow conditions
Hotel Vanoise Plan Peisey, Paradiski
Albergo Frohsinn - San Cassiano, Dolomites

both genuinely on the piste.
snow report
peanuthead, any recommendations of chalets?

Dia_FindTransfers, are there any other TO's operating a similar level of service as Ski Olympic?
snow report
supertravel is a smaller TO that tends to do higher end chalets (at a reasonable price) we have used them many times and find their standards pretty high.
snow conditions
ansta1, just how loaded are you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Layne, moderately Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy