Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Its getting to that time of year to think a bit more seriously about next years trip. I am a boarder and would class myself as an ok to slightly above average intermediate. I don’t tend to go into the park and am happy cruising about the groomers, will pop into some pow now and then but tend not to venture too far away from lifts/pistes. My other half is a skier who would fall into the good category, ie better than me (but she has been doing it a lot longer). For us a trip is primarily about the ski area and the snow. A typical day sees us on lifts about 10am, relatively brief stop for something to eat and then finish up about 3pm for a couple of beers. We will tackle most stuff but do love a cruisey blue/red, blacks don’t feature too high up, not that we can’t do them its just we can’t be bothered (too much like hard work sometimes). Wild après is not our thing although we do like a bit of entertainment and an occasional beer or two after dinner, usually before retiring well before midnight. We prefer big ski areas (eg espace killy or 3Vs) where you can travel from one end of the piste map to the other quite easily via the slopes. Having said all of that we kinda now have the Austrian bug as we love the better transfers and the generally nicer villages. St Anton would be our top pick as we were there a couple of years ago and would love to go back. Last year we did Mayrhofen and whilst we liked the town itself we found the ski area not exactly to our liking as it felt a bit disjointed, getting a bus everywhere was a pain and the runs seemed shortish at times. Other half has been to Kaprun and Bad Hofgastien but wouldn’t rush back. Someone has suggested Solden might be a possibility and I would be interested in any views, primarily in relation to the ski area as opposed to the town itself. It might be we are missing a trick for other resorts so all views welcome.

Cheers

A Scottish Snowhead.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest IMHO once your skiing/boarding has reached a certain level, of all the Austria resorts St Anton can't be beat. Many people try other Austrian resorts but return back to St Anton time and time again. I once had a two week ski holiday skiing St Anton the first week and Sölden the second. Sölden is much more exposed and less steep - the wind had blown the fresh snow away so it went from a week of St Anton powder skiing to skiing cruisy reds in Sölden Sad But if cruisy reds are what you are after it might suit you along with the other resorts in this list.

http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/resorts/austria/bestplacestosnowboard.cfm

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 17-09-13 9:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The obvious resort that you've not mentioned is Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

200+ km of mainly blues and reds; a linked circuit that you can ski clockwise or anti-clockwise plus the link over to Leogang; very few drag-lifts (the Rosswald-lift has been replaced this summer with a 6-seat chair, leaving only one T-bar on the main circuit), good après for those who want it. etc. See the long thread for other Snowheads' opinions... http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2164969
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers

I should have said the plan (at the moment) is to go 8 March for a week. Last time in St Anton it was a week later and the slushy moguls were a real pain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I you like the 'Austrian' type of resort / general feel of the resort, don't rule out the very Northern bit of Italy. The Südtirol was part of Austria until less than 100 years ago. It is very 'Tirol' in a similar way to Austria. The further South you go, the more 'Italian' it gets. But worth looking at
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Would have also suggested Dolomites. Certainly fits the cruisy red an blue and going from one side of the piste map to the other (and feeling like you've achieved something, rather than doing that in 3-4 lifts/runs). Pretty reasonable prices too. And cheap transfer buses from Innsbruck or Venice, depending on which corner you go to.

Never been to Saalbach or St.Anotn , so can't comment there, but I get the impression they're rather sizeable. Mayrhofen? did you visit Zell am Ziller and Gerlos? Prefer that sector personally, since it's not rammed with Brits and Dutch nursing hangovers from the Ice Bar, and you feel like you've accomplished something going from one end of the map to the other, and back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saalbach or Ischgl
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ischgl.
This is what the Ski Club of GB resort summaries says:

"Justly rated by Europeans as Austria’s best resort after St Anton but still overlooked by Brits.
Ischgl is a compact, traditional farming village dating back to the 10th century. It's largely pedestrianised, with a walkway cut through part of the mountain to facilitate access to lifts and bars, and successfully combines the old-fashioned luxury of resorts like Kitzbühel and St Moritz with the modern party scene of St Anton (with a touch of Moscow)."
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Schladming has a good vibe and excellent skiing across 4 mountains. There are many, many places besides St Anton to be honest, even though I keep going back there myself because I like the skiing. I find the "gnarly" attitude of many there irritating though, as there are not many who can truly put their money where their mouth is! rolling eyes Loads of posers with all the gear and absolutely no idea as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As andy, mentioned, Zell am Ziller and Gerlos (Zillertal Arena) might be suitable. Most of the town of Zell am Ziller is a short bus ride away from the gondola station though so if you don't like buses you would be better looking at staying in Gerlos or Königsleiten, at the other end of the ski area.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:
Loads of posers with all the gear and absolutely no idea
This. Doesn't stop me going there either, but I usually stay outside St.A in Pettneu.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tom W wrote:
Saalbach or Ischgl

+1

For large linked area with cruisy pistes also check out the SkiWelt (look to base yourselves in Westendorf IMO), presumably Ski Amade too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitzbuhel, good and varied linked skiing across the whole area. Good uplift facilities. Apres ski as hectic or quiet as you want it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Schladming has a good vibe and excellent skiing across 4 mountains. There are many, many places besides St Anton to be honest, even though I keep going back there myself because I like the skiing. I find the "gnarly" attitude of many there irritating though, as there are not many who can truly put their money where their mouth is! rolling eyes Loads of posers with all the gear and absolutely no idea as well.

Take what anyone says about their skiing ability in the Apres ski bar or on the internet with a fist of salt. The proof of the pudding is in the skiing.
I'm not going to let gnarly impersonators stop me from skiing one of the best ski resorts in the world. (don't see myself as anywhere near gnarly and have put up videos of me skiing to prove it but do like the challenge of skiing offpiste.) Have skied with other snowheads and even posters from TGR at St Anton - happy days.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kb36,

Saalbach all the way snowHead
latest report
thanks for all the advice etc. Heart is saying St Anton but bank manager might not necessarily agree. Half the trouble is being up in Scotland - its great for the "home" slopes but rotten for anything else, especially packages which is what we tend to go for.
ski holidays
kb36, as others have said, Saalbach Cool

Great sense of travel (one end of ski map to the other), good apres (OK, awesome apres if you want it), plenty of cruisey blues and reds, reasonable mountainside restaurants from price perspective - outstanding from quality, charming town, loads of eating options if you need it, some excellent hotels and many are ski-in. Oh, and plastic cows...Toofy Grin

Check out the Saalbach Hinterglemm thread for more info
latest report
quinton wrote:
The obvious resort that you've not mentioned is Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

+1
But lots of others too. Another idea, maybe a little cheaper, could be a base in the Schneewinkel area, e.g. St. Johann, with the chance of more variety with 20-30 min bus rides to other resorts e.g. Fieberbrunn, Steinplatte (or even Kitzbühel and more with the KitzAlps or Salzburg Super Ski Card).

With regard to access from Scotland, I and friends visiting have found the easyJet flight Edinburgh-Munich good. There are also flights Edinburgh-Salzburg with Jet2Com (I think) but only on Saturdays. Transfer is maybe a bit of a bind but possible, by train or transfer company.
ski holidays
kb36 wrote:
thanks for all the advice etc. Heart is saying St Anton but bank manager might not necessarily agree. Half the trouble is being up in Scotland - its great for the "home" slopes but rotten for anything else, especially packages which is what we tend to go for.

OK so I don't think that the ferry from Rosyth runs any more. But think about driving to Hull and taking the overnight boat to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge (I think the Rotterdam one allows a slightly earlier start next morning) which does make it practical to drive to the Alps or Austria
snow report
That rosyth ferry doesn't run, and even if it did, i'd be reluctant to book it, since the few times it did come back in to operation it was so brief it wasn't even worth the effort or risk. Newcastle-Amsterdam possibly more convenient than Hull? (extortionate and a half in summer, but "reasonable" price in Winter, apparently, except the £16.95 fish-n-chips meal).
ski holidays
andy, I have done Newcastle - Amsterdam (and driven to Austria) and Hull - Zeebrugge / Rotterdam (and driven to various French resorts) and all are OK up to a point. I am just trying to highlight that it is viable to drive from the North. The one big problem with all of those ferries is the arrival time in mainland Europe is not very early so you don't get off to an early start and beat the traffic. But even at the prices they charge, it does save fuel and one night's B & B.
And you can sometimes get a cheaper deal
latest report
I regularly use the Hull-Rotterdam crossing when driving to Austria (I live about a 2 hr drive from Hull) Never had any trouble with traffic when leaving the port (usually off the ferry and underway by 9am, same time as when I got the Zeebrugge ferry which arrives about the same time but sails earlier than the Rotterdam one). Usually in the Arlberg by about 7pm which includes two or three stops for petrol, toilet and food. Might be marginally more expensive than driving to the south coast and crossing there, but for me the convenience is more than worth it. Not sure how the timings and cost compare to the Newcastle sailing, but when driving from the north, well worth considering.
ski holidays
Saalbach is a great resort, going back this year, can't wait!
snow report
Rhumage,
Snap...........when are you there?
snow report
snowball, really like the look of Ischgl. Will give that a whirl sometime for sure. Between Saalbach and Solden, there isn't much in it tbh. Perhaps Solden is marginally better for boarders due to it being steeper. I loved both resorts and would recommend them. Off to St Anton in Jan for the first time so looking forward to the mayhem...
latest report
DB wrote:
To be honest IMHO once your skiing/boarding has reached a certain level, of all the Austria resorts St Anton can't be beat. Many people try other Austrian resorts but return back to St Anton time and time again. I once had a two week ski holiday skiing St Anton the first week and Sölden the second. Sölden is much more exposed and less steep - the wind had blown the fresh snow away so it went from a week of St Anton powder skiing to skiing cruisy reds in Sölden Sad But if cruisy reds are what you are after it might suit you along with the other resorts in this list.

Hmm. So I have been to St Anton. Not impressed by pistes (I was impressed with off-piste). I am not interested in cruisey blues and reds, I like a resort with plenty of challenging and varied slopes.

So going by above quote should I not bother with Austria again (unless specifically going for off-piste guided week in St Anton)?
snow report
I live in Scotland and regularly go to Ischgl one of the mentioned resorts. It really is not difficult to arrange DIY.

It is a great resort with a wide variety of pistes and off piste. The main caveat I would point out is that you will not find many other boarders there compared with other resorts I have been to. Most of the boarders that I have seen there are beginners, if fellow boarders are important it may not be ideal. Otherwise it has an extensive network of great slopes and a fun park.
ski holidays
peanuthead wrote:
DB wrote:

Hmm. So I have been to St Anton. Not impressed by pistes (I was impressed with off-piste). I am not interested in cruisey blues and reds, I like a resort with plenty of challenging and varied slopes.

So going by above quote should I not bother with Austria again (unless specifically going for off-piste guided week in St Anton)?

If harder piste skiing is your thing than places such as Ischgl and Serfaus might fit the bill better than St Anton. Serfaus had a few steep blacks and as it is mainly a family resort the more difficult pistes were mostly deserted. This meant it was possible to put in large GS type turns without putting others at risk.

Most skiers / boarders I know who can ski challenging pisted blacks normally prefer to ski offpiste where the slopes are steeper and challenging than your typical resort black run (30 - 35 Deg).

e.g. 2 hours drive from here is Schneeberg in East Austria
The fun starts @ 1:22

http://youtube.com/v/EpX2PCuWiY8

Where did you have better / more challenging piste skiing than St Anton?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, I have got really into off-piste but only go with guide or in guided group which costs moolah. Plus that often ends up being an all-day affair which doesn't go down well with OH. So while I do hope to get back to St Anton soon and do more P2P, it's not going to be happening immediately.

If I'm not sure how much if any off-piste I'm going to do, I like a resort with plenty of challenging and varied runs to get a fix from before meeting OH for lunch. Les Arcs and EK in particular fit this bill.
ski holidays
peanuthead,

Some guides in St Anton offer half days.

Serfaus sounds like it would be a good option for you but it's not the easiest place in the world to get to and it's expensive. Les Arcs Looks to have significantly less black pistes than than Serfaus. Serfaus also has circa 20km of freeride runs (which as far as I am aware are avalanche controlled off piste runs).

http://www.bergfex.com/serfaus-fiss-ladis/

... but yes once you are into advanced / offpiste skiing (and your OH lets you get out for a full day) within Austria St Anton IMHO is unbeatable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy