Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your favorite large resort in France? Please help :).

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks, clarky999, ! I agree that most Europeans speak English, but found that many Germans in St Anton last year did not... So we mostly hung out with the British and Scandinavians there. I actually speak French as well, but there weren't a lot of them in Austria. OK, so maybe we should put Ischgl back on the contenders list.

But in France it looks like VT/Meribel and Morzine are our best options. And I do vastly prefer French cuisine to Austrian one Wink.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alenchic wrote:
Thanks, clarky999, ! I agree that most Europeans speak English, but found that many Germans in St Anton last year did not... So we mostly hung out with the British and Scandinavians there. I actually speak French as well, but there weren't a lot of them in Austria. OK, so maybe we should put Ischgl back on the contenders list.

But in France it looks like VT/Meribel and Morzine are our best options. And I do vastly prefer French cuisine to Austrian one Wink.

For that reason I do like Tignes (great skiing) and a nice traditional local resto that makes its own cheese (it is actualy a farm and a resto). Love the food and I am into food a bit Smile Not sure how good apres ski is in Tignes, as we are ussualy too tired for that after a day of skiing ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alenchic,
Quote:

I do vastly prefer French cuisine to Austrian one
Again, me too. When it comes to puddings, though, that's a disadvantage: I can resist most Austrian and Italian sweet concoctions, but put a gorgeous tarte aux myrtilles in front of me...and my resolve not to eat naughty things dissolves!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
French desserts! Yes, unresistable Smile. But then why resist? I'll diet when I am at home.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why France if I may ask? What about Zermatt? Lovely village, large ski area, the Matterhorn, great food, some jolly apres ski bars etc. Well worth a consideration if you're going to make the effort to fly across? Just to add a bit of controversy ... Whistler?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alenchic wrote:
French desserts! Yes, unresistable Smile. But then why resist? I'll diet when I am at home.

All these extra calories are easily burned on slopes, and with a colder weather people do need more calories anyway - a win-win Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franga - I have actually skied Zermatt for a couple of days, and would LOVE to go back there Smile. I am concerned that it might be quite pricey, though, and while I could probably pull that off myself, I know for sure that at least one of my friends is on a somewhat tight budget. Whistler I would definitely want to visit one day, but we are pretty set on Europe for this trip. It's more exotic, you see wink .

mooney058 - I like the way you think! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Meribel for me, amazing place! would fully recommend checking it out Smile

Give it a search, I stayed in a great little chalet from 'Ski Chalets Meribel', give them a search Neh Neh

SK
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you, skiking, will do!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alenchic, if you want to go to France and meet French people and eat French food you really don't want to be in a British catered chalet. Rather be in a French hotel but preferably on a bed and breakfast basis so you can explore the local restaurants. But that's a busy time - when you decide to go, don't delay to book. And you might find only half board options. Plenty of advice here on snowheads (though not from me) as to which hotels have good food. St Martin de Belleville, as suggested above, is worth a look - a lot more traditional. I scarcely know it, but plenty do. Personally I dislike Meribel - too many Brits, for a start. wink I don't know the 3V well but my favourite corner is Courchevel 1650.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alenchic, I haven't skied VT although my far better half has. Her take on it (I'd note that we have done really quite a lot of skiing) was that it's great for super early skiing but not worth going back otherwise. We've been together 13 years and not once has the request to visit been mooted.

Morzine /PDS however is a completely different bag of fish. As is Chamonix. For a really mixed, sociable group, I'd tend to err on the Morzine side even though we rent apartments in Chamonix. The PDS pretty much offers everything you ask for and Morzine apres isn't the crazy let's get off our head and ski down from the Kangaroo, but there are lots of good bars of most descriptions and some very good restaurants. I believe there may still be two nightclubs...

No-brainer for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oh yes and while it's worth avoiding the vacances scolaires if you can, the last few seasons - I think down to great snowfall and a serious upping of the game on installing high capacity lifts - it really hasn't been a great deal of a problem.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica wrote:
but there is literally endless interesting piste skiing

Oy, I thought you were meant to be Pedantic a not an illiterate Impostica.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alenchic wrote:

Sounds like Morzine would be the better bet then, there are some really good restaurants around the hill. If you're in need of a snack, the little hut (no idea what it's called) just above the Super Morzine lift is great for a croque monsieur (however you spell that!!), creme caramel and brandy stop. For a proper meal Le Vaffieu at the top of the Pleney area is excellent.
ski holidays
Hi alenchic, my vote goes to Val d`Isere. For me it ticks the aesthetic, apres and terrain boxes. I like VT and Courchevel 1850 too but the former isn't as pleasing on the eye and the latter, as has been mentioned, has become overrun by Russians and is getting very expensive. Skiing in the big French resorts is generally expensive anyway, although St Anton would be in the same bracket.
I`m a big fan of the chalet holiday too as you can generally take your own booze in and get complimentary wine with your dinner which helps keep the bar bill down.
latest report
My vote would be for the Espace Killy, followed by Zermatt with the 3V coming in third. Not going into too much detail as we can all argue various points. EK to me has the better variety of run, off piste and some areas of charm. Zermatt - has enough variety and more charm. 3V - just vast, cannot get bored but lacks the charm. Never really take account of the architecture of a place as most of the time when I can see a resort (during the day) I am skiing. Just because a village is ugly would not stop me staying there.
ski holidays
alenchic, I would not worry too much about first week of March, if that's the only time you can go just do it.
No point to compromise on the resort, it might be crowded on some pistes and lifts, but you will find your way around to get to less busy areas.
On a plus side, apres and nightlife will be rocking with so many people in town Wink
I don't think you can go much wrong with Val Thorens, Val d'Isere or Morzine, although first two are safer bet for good snow.
ski holidays
Tom W, if we're struggling for snow first week in March, we're in trouble...
snow report
As an aside I find that chatting to people on lifts in resorts is really very easy - and I do not speak French, German, Russian or Italian. The British appear to be the most reticent to enter into any conversation. I just start trying to ask questions in English and see where it goes from there.

So alenchic, do not let not speaking German prevent you from Skiing in Austria, Switzerland, the Dolomites or even Germany. You will get by fine in English. As indeed I do in France
ski holidays
T Bar, oops wink
snow report
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your help- it's been invaluable.
ski holidays
A big vote for Val d'Isere from me! It has it all IMO.

Or if you fancy giving another Austrian resort a try; Saalbach - although I'm not sure how suitable it is for beginners.
latest report
alenchic, If it came down to Morzine, Val T and Meribel, personally I'd opt for Meribel... Nice looking village, access into the biggest lift linked terrain in the World, and being in Meribel puts you slap bang in the middle of it... Plus there are shed loads of bars.. which should suit your mates...

I do like Morzine and the PdS, however, my experiences of lift queues at Pleney (Yes it was half term, and yes I know they have installed a new lift) would make me think long and hard about staying in Morzine...

Good luck anyhow Smile
latest report
alenchic, I think Val D ticks your boxes. Especially the 'extensive on-piste advanced terrain' and lively après ski. Meribel would be my second choice. I don't think Morzine is really in the same league ski terrain and snow condition wise, although it is a pleasant enough place to stay. As for chalet holiday style, I think some of the larger 'chalethotels' might be worth thinking about. The agents website Alpine Answers has lots of useful information and filtering options that may help.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think some of the larger 'chalethotels' might be worth thinking about.

but they'd still be full of Brits! cosmopolitan they ain't.
ski holidays
Quote:

but they'd still be full of Brits! cosmopolitan they ain't.

True..but does alenchic express any preference for avoiding Brits? My speed-reading skills have already let me down once tonight, so happy to be corrected.
latest report
intermediate, she found herself hobnobbing with the Brits and Scandies in St anton because the Germans she met there didn't speak English. she speaks French and looks forward to being able to meet and talk to people, and she likes French cuisine. All of which made me think that a holiday in a corner of a foreign field which was forever England wasn't exactly what she was looking for. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
intermediate, imo the PDS is generally more entertaining than the EK...
snow report
Quote:

imo the PDS is generally more entertaining than the EK...

under a new name, PDS or EK? Nice problem to choose between those two. I love both though not so fond of Avoriaz. Les Gets is my favourite town to stay in PDS. I'm out of date with après ski there, so it may well be more entertaining than EK now. Val D generally much livelier than Tignes in EK. Skiing wise I always find PDS more fragmented and the lift system under strain in high season. imo EK wins easily on the 'extensive on-piste advanced terrain' criterion, though PDS certainly has a few interesting challenges. Good thing we don't all like the same place!
ski holidays
Quote:

intermediate, she found herself hobnobbing with the Brits and Scandies in St anton because the Germans she met there didn't speak English. she speaks French and looks forward to being able to meet and talk to people, and she likes French cuisine. All of which made me think that a holiday in a corner of a foreign field which was forever England wasn't exactly what she was looking for

I like to think it promotes the special relationship we have with our cousins across the pond.
latest report
Quote:

I like to think it promotes the special relationship we have with our cousins across the pond.

Laughing you mean like not mixing with them any more than is strictly necessary?
snow conditions
alenchic, Honfleur! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
The Skiing Hippo wrote:
................. Val d`Isere.............ticks the aesthetic............terrain box................like VT and Courchevel 1850, the former isn't as pleasing on the eye and the latte has become overrun by Russians and is stupidly very expensive. Skiing in the big French resorts is generally expensive.
I`m a big fan of the chalet holiday too as you can generally take your own booze in and get complimentary wine with your dinner which helps keep the bar bill down.

Toofy Grin edited for a tad of realism........................
ski holidays
Quote:

you mean like not mixing with them any more than is strictly necessary?

pam w, I've always found chalethotels very friendly and sociable, even though a mostly British institution. I have noticed different nationalities taking advantage of British operated chalets in recent years, eg Belgians, Netherlanders, Swedish people. I must say proper French hotels I've stayed in usually offer better cuisine, smarter clothing and sharper elbows. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy