Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your favorite large resort in France? Please help :).

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I am in the beginning stages of planning our annual girls-week-out ski trip to Europe, and I would really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction in terms of a resort. What I am looking for is a large resort that would be good for all skill levels (we will have both beginners and advanced skiers in our group) AND would have a good apres-ski scene- a very important feature for at least a couple of my friends, although none of us are fans of techno-music clubs. Last year we went to St. Anton, so I realize that would be hard to top in terms of apres-ski, but surely, surely there must be places in France that would keep my party-loving friends satisfied... It would be nice if the village was aesthetically pleasing. Off-piste is not a priority, as few of us are good enough to really take advantage of it, but I definitely want a place with an extensive on-piste advanced terrain. I have already skied in Chamonix and Deux Alpes, so would like to try something new. And there are so many options in France, it's really hard to narrow it down...

Thank you Smile.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morzine. The End.

*edit* as long as you arent going before xmas or after April...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and preferably not between mid February and mid March when it will be very busy. Good place for apres ski but I wouldn't call it aesthetically pleasing - albeit not as aesthetically displeasing as some.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, its definitely not Avoriaz! Laughing I like it because its consistent across the whole village pretty much, and its above average I think in appeal. Les Gets is definately nicer, but less Apres for alenchic and her group to enjoy. What I dont like is places like Kitz, which I found stunning in a 500m radius, and very mediocre outside the old village...

I cant comment on any other parts of Europe as I havent been rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dennisp, I was going to suggest Morzine, too. One or two other contenders (e.g. Val Thorens?) are even less aesthetically pleasing. But a lot depends on when the OP wants to travel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Val Thorens would be my top choice! Ski in ski out, great skiing, fab après ski!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Val D'Isere would tick all your boxes. It's not my personal favourite resort, but it's attractive, has great skiing and a great nightlife. The only negative is that it's not the best for beginners. You could also look at Meribel- again it's attractive, loads of great skiing (3 valleys), great nightlife and it has some really good areas for beginners, but you would need to chose the location of your accommodation carefully. If your beginner friends liked St Anton then maybe that is not such a problem.
I echo any comments re timing of your trip. Avoid school holidays if you possibly can so this year don't go between 15th Feb to 16th March-especially the week of 15th Feb.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dia_FindTransfers wrote:
Val Thorens would be my top choice! Ski in ski out, great skiing, fab après ski!

+1 Another vote for Val Thorens.
Great terrain, ski in/out, snow guaranteed, access to other 3V resorts with the amazing variety of pistes, very nice vibe and apres scene.
OK it is purpose build with all those apartment blocks but I rather liked it anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Meribel, nice village, best location to explore the 3 valleys, decent après ski. Would always be my number one for a "lads" ski trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

best location to explore the 3 valleys

Hmm...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.lafoliedouce-valthorens.com/

That is all...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PdS.... cos you can escape in to Switzerland, and look the other way when Avoriaz comes in to view.
And it's the only one I've been to. Well I've been to Tignes too, but at that point in the season it wasn't really practical to go very far afield.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

best location to explore the 3 valleys

Hmm...

All about opinions, mottaret is probably the best location ski wise' but overall package I'd favour Meribel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My favourite resort is actually Tignes, Though I spend most of my time in Les Arcs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val T for everything except 'pretty' resort. If I was organising a mixed level group trip I would head here - massive terrain and great on-slope apres bars.
Morzine as second as is a nice resort, would tick all your boxes.
Val D third.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
and preferably not between mid February and mid March when it will be very busy. .

What? everywhere is busy during that period as it is (other than HT, NY, XMAS) the best time to go skiing.

Morzine is good - but if you want lively apres i'd go to Meribel or Val D'Isere.
snow report
It's a long time since I have skied in France, but I can rate the resorts I have been to there in order of preference; Val D'Isère, Méribel, Avoriaz, Tignes, Val Thorens, La Plagne. I really liked Val D'Isère other than the second mortgage needed. I had a great season in Méribel but it is too British, I realise that appeals to some people. I didn't like La Plagne at all and certainly won't be hurrying back...
snow report
My favourite has to be Serre Chevalier - vastly underrated by the UK Tour Operators as well - masses of on piste skiing with an excellent lift system, limitless off-piste and a real town just down the road. Monetier les Bains has oodles of character while the Apres action takes place down in Villeneuve (not quite so pretty) and Chantmerle.
I liked the skiing in Les Arcs and Val d'Isere but did not like the artificiality of the "villages". Loathed the 3 Valleys with a vengence as I did La Plagne - boring, boring boring with pretentious architecture! wink The less said about the squat in the quarry call Avoriaz the better - Chatel was a better base if forced but Les Gets beats them all hands down. The only good thing going for Avoriaz was the lift leaving for the Swiss side! Laughing Laughing
Les Carroz was super before they started letting the Lyonnais and other outsiders develop it - village nursery slopes and night tobogganing fun gone in an instant. We could ski over to all of the Grand Massif villages and to the monstrosity called Flaine. We even went there a couple of times in the evening because people were raving about some bar that did "good beer and food" - turned out to be called The White Heather serving Watney's Red Barrel, Double Diamond and other such muck! The food was of the same rank (in every sense) Toofy Grin
snow report
was that in the 70's? Watneys?
snow conditions
Does it have to be France? Ischgl has better piste skiing than St Anton with very similar apres, and a reasonably nice village. Same for Saalbach.
snow conditions
blahblahblah, Yep it was - late 70s and early 80s! Laughing
ski holidays
All the replies just show how subjective these things are. Of all the places mentioned that I've actually been to, I think Morzine ticks the most boxes: Morzine itself is not unattractive, it's a gateway to loads of interesting skiing and the nightlife is fine too.

But, of the big areas in which to ski, I personally like the 3V the best. I don't do much off-piste, so can't comment on that, but there is literally endless interesting piste skiing and it all joins up brilliantly. For preference, I would stay in Mottaret, simply because it's bang in the middle of the domain, but it's not pretty and I wouldn't have said the après was that interesting.
snow report
Pedantica, Morzine wins on airport transfer too. Morrillon (for access to Flaine) might win just about win on time, but Les Gets and Morzine win on number of transfer companies going that way (all year round), with a ca. 1hr transfer. Chamonix might match that, but I think the area is spread out and not so convenient?

Can't wait to go back to PdS (again). Probably aim more Chatel way next time.
latest report
andy,
Quote:

Morzine wins on airport transfer too
Excellent point!
snow report
andy,
Quote:

Chamonix might match that, but I think the area is spread out and not so convenient?

Also correct on all counts. Although I love it, for all sorts of reasons, it's going to suit best the really gnarly skiers who also have wheels at their disposal.
snow report
I'm sure someone will say that Grenoble or Chambery to somewhere big is also ca. 1 hr, but GVA has many more flight options and in bad weather, will close after them. So GVA with 1hr transfer still wins Wink
snow report
Thank you all so much for your advice! I truly appreciate it.
As it happens we will most likely go during the first week of March, and based on the recommendations above that might not be the best time to be in France. That week is our only option, as one of my friends teaches, and this is when their spring break falls... So how bad will it really be? Does it get that much more crowded during the French half term in the French resorts?

As for Ischgl, we actually did strongly consider it... I heard great things about piste skiing there, and I like the size of the resort. We do have some concerns about their apres, even though it's quite famous for it. We saw a few reviews stating that as the resort is a bit more pricey than others (not a concern in and of itself), it does attract older, wealthier, very German demographic. We don't really fall under that category and we don't speak the language. I personally like meeting other skiers when I travel, but unfortunately do not speak German, so the language barrier might pose some problems. That and the fact (mentioned in some reviews) that apres in Ischgl means singing along to German pop tunes... Is that true or somewhat exaggerated?

So after we ruled Ischgl out I started thinking France, as I haven't skied there in a while and remember loving Chamonix, and would love to try out some other resorts.
snow conditions
alenchic,
Quote:

I personally like meeting other skiers when I travel, but unfortunately do not speak German, so the language barrier might pose some problems. That and the fact (mentioned in some reviews) that apres in Ischgl means singing along to German pop tunes...
Are we related? wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mottaret would be horrible for beginners. I remember being one and loathed the slopes back down into the village from either side with a passion. Skied out, hard, often icy crowded, moguls. Yuck!
The best place for beginners in the 3v is probably Courchevel 1850, but it's getting harder and harder to find good value accommodation there. Am sure the nightlife is good if you can afford it, or if you fancy picking up a rich Russian, Smile
My own personal fave Ski resort in the world and 3v is St Martin de Belleville-the village that is the antithesis of French high mountain ugliness. But, there are only about 2 bars that even claim to offer nightlife, so I guess you would have to knock that off the list. Val Thorens is indeed really good for beginner skiing but not very high on the pretty stakes either.
First week in March...hmmmm.....France will be busy but perhaps not as bad as some weeks in that block. It's outside the UK half term. Accommodation wise, what are you looking for? thinking laterally for a moment, if you booked through a UK chalet operator you could probably get a good deal on a catered chalet that week.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 17-09-13 14:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Think I'm gonna have to drag up that thread with the cheesy Austrian* apres playlist Wink Oh... someone did a Spotify play list too (trying to remember who) Twisted Evil

*I do believe much of it is actually German, but Austria takes the rap for it Wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 17-09-13 14:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Pedantica wrote:

But, of the big areas in which to ski, I personally like the 3V the best. I don't do much off-piste, so can't comment on that, but there is literally endless interesting piste skiing and it all joins up brilliantly. For preference, I would stay in Mottaret, simply because it's bang in the middle of the domain, but it's not pretty and I wouldn't have said the après was that interesting.

+1 Saved me typing exactly what I was thinking. The bus system into Meribel works well for a "noisier" night out.
snow conditions
OK, I need to go read up on the main contenders- 3V, Morzine, Val d'Isere and others... In terms of transfers, it would be easier for us to fly into a big city (Geneva) vs Grenoble or Chambery, as we'll be flying in from the States, but it's not a top consideration, as I am more than willing to travel further for good skiing.
ski holidays
This should give you a clue:
http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1345470285_Guide_Station_BAT4-optimise.pdf
latest report
alenchic, Geneva or Lyon airport will be your easiest option then. If you decide for Morzine then definitely try to fly to Geneva. Otherwise either airport is good.
latest report
We did a season in Morzine and despite the various horror stories you will see in relation to 'french holidays' we had zero problems with holiday times. Yes you might have to wait maybe 5-10 minutes for the big Pleney lift but that was literally it. Its a fab village - plenty for all abilities - GO!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 17-09-13 16:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Perty, I must admit to not knowing much about UK chalet operators. Such a concept does not exist in US, so I don't really know what it means, what are the benefits or even how to look for one. In the past we would stay at a half-board or breakfast-only hotels. Do you like staying at chalets?

Pedantica, - you never know Smile. It's a small world after all. All I know is I don't want to listen to German pop for 7 nights in the row without being able to talk to anyone Smile. And I do love your 3V and Morzine suggestions!

altis, - thank you, that actually really helps to figure out the layout of the area and which resorts belong to which ski zones.
ski holidays
alenchic,Chalet Holidays are run by either large tour operators or smaller independently run ones (The latter offer a better service in my opinion) Good ones for Morzine include Rude Chalets, Reach 4 The Alps, Treeline Chalets, Freedom Ski and More Mountain.

Basically its more like a house guest environment - depending on your numbers you may share the chalet with other guests. You are normally looked after by 1-2 members of staff who do the cooking and cleaning - Breakfast, Afternoon Tea and Dinner with wine is normally included within the price.
ski holidays
Another vote for Val Thorens here.
I dont think it's ugly...its not choccy box gorgeous but is ok and kind of sweet being so high up - the nearest we will get to staying on the moon.
Also you will be very unlucky if it rains in VT, unlike Morzine - but like everywhere that had massive snow last year and the year before.
It's got good pubs, better in happy hours as it is the 3V and not as cheap as other regions.
But may I say, that whilst I'd choose VT I have friends that would choose Morzine and go every year and another group of mates that think Val D'Isere is valhallah but then again they're loaded and stay in some posh hotel that is way off my radar.
It's all about personal choice and no one is wrong.
Picking a ski hol is a million times harder than a summer jaunt.
latest report
alenchic wrote:

As for Ischgl, we actually did strongly consider it... I heard great things about piste skiing there, and I like the size of the resort. We do have some concerns about their apres, even though it's quite famous for it. We saw a few reviews stating that as the resort is a bit more pricey than others (not a concern in and of itself), it does attract older, wealthier, very German demographic. We don't really fall under that category and we don't speak the language. I personally like meeting other skiers when I travel, but unfortunately do not speak German, so the language barrier might pose some problems. That and the fact (mentioned in some reviews) that apres in Ischgl means singing along to German pop tunes... Is that true or somewhat exaggerated?

It's very like St Anton; plenty of cheesy apres music, plenty of places with 'normal' music. If you like the apres in Anton you'll like it in Ischgl. Less Brits than St Anton (though still plenty), more Germans and Russians (actually probably not, there are plenty in St Anton too), plenty of Dutch and Skandis, but you'll find establishments to cater for everyone, not just rich Russians wink Plenty of young people about too. I find Ischgl and Anton alike in many ways, but Ischgl is better for piste skiers.

BTW there is no language barrier, speaking English is no problem with 99% of Europeans.

Personally I prefer it to Morzine, though Morzine is also a cool place with plenty of good skiing. If you want to go to France it's a very good option, though I haven't been to any other French resorts so can't compare.
ski holidays
Both VT and Morzine are good choices. I would vote for small chalet operators as well as they look after you a lot better. For Morzine I'd throw in skiology.co.uk as well - they really care about customer service and their food is amazing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy