Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glaciers in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know when Val Senales is open? Going to be in Lake Garda in mid September and would like a days skiing. Or any other glaciers nearby? Cervinia is too far and Tonale won’t be open that early. Can’t think of anywhere else
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh - Stelvio?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Someone posted a photo of Stelvio the other day and it looked grim. Unlikely to improve between now and mid September.

I think Cervinia or one of the Austrian glaciers is likely to be your closest. A long drive though...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think soelden, stubai etc open until end sept/early October so I suspect Stelvio might be best option
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cervinia just too far - eight hour round trip
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The photo is in the weather thread.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I saw that, but I've looked at some videos and photos on IG and it doesn't look that bad (not great, but skiable)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its still a 5 hours roundtrip to Kurzras-Schnalstal (very Germanic there!)....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moseyp wrote:
I don't think soelden, stubai etc open until end sept/early October so I suspect Stelvio might be best option

Stubai *normally* opens mid September, but that's obviously weather dependent and can go back or forward a few weeks depending on snow. Around a 4 hour drive from Garda.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can probably just manage a five hour round trip, eight is too much for an hour or two on a melting glacier
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Val Senales is closer - two hours - but limited opening from 15th of september with much of it closed off for training. Has anyone been there in september/october?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moseyp, Schnalstal=Val Senales...they speak German there, was Austrian until 1918...
It’s 2.20 from Riva, 2.30 from Bardolino, in quiet conditions....east side of the Lake is often busy.
It’s a very tiring ride on top of that.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 24-08-19 11:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It’s 1 hour 50 for me. Which is fine, but I don’t know how limited skiing will be if most of it is closed for allenamenti
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@moseyp, which means you are not at the Lake...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am - Lake Garda. In a sailing club for a few days
snow report
moseyp wrote:
Cervinia just too far - eight hour round trip

More importantly you can’t get up to the glacier from the Cervinia side in mid-September. The Cervinia lifts up to there are open until 8 September and then reopen second half of October. You can still get up to the glacier from the Swiss side (which I appreciate is even less use to you).
ski holidays
@JohnMo, ah thank you - I was actually just thinking I could go straight to cervinia from airport and then drive to Garda that afternoon (still six hours but potentially better skiing) but I was not aware of that. Won’t work at all
snow conditions
I’ve ski toured past val senales staying at the Bella Vista hut with its outdoor hot tub ! The skiing looks very limited. Access is via a cable car to Europe’s highest hotel.

Bet the sailing will be good at Garda. it’s famous for a daily thermal wind and I think there is some great catamaran sailing there. What will you be sailing ? Have fun.
snow report
@Peter S, I won't be sailing unfortunately, going for a moth event but can't take the full week off work and not worth bringing my boat over for three days. was thinking I'd go for a ski while the others are racing. I can throw my skis and stuff into the trailer and fly with just carry-on
snow report
I cant see how any skiing is going to be possible within practical driving distance of Lake Garda (unless you simply want to slide down a patch of snow to tick the "I skied in September" box). The nearest glaciers in the Adamello group only have a ski lift on the fringes at Passo Tonale (no summer skiing). The Stelvio area is open (though whether worthwhile because of conditions?) but is a long drive from Lake Garda, its got to be the best part of 2 hours from Bolzano and Bolzano has to be more than an hour from Lake Garda. Val Senales is not open and only has a tiny amount of glacier skiing anyway. If the Stubai glacier reopens in time it is probably the best option, though how much of it will reopen initially is questionable and again around 3 hours each way from Lake Garda. If you are really determined then perhaps stay overnight at the Stelvio (or Stubaital).
ski holidays
The glaciers in Italy, Austria and France have been totally smashed this boiling European summer.

Unless you can make it to Cervinia / Zermatt or Hintertux, don't bother.

Everything else is toast.
snow report
@moseyp, surely you can squeeze a moth in as "large sports baggage"? Can't believe it weighs much more than the allowance, you'd just have to persuade the check in agent that the dimensions were ok. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@mgrolf, it has been done, checked in as a kayak
latest report
@moseyp, weren't they a little suspicious about the length of the "paddle"? A foiling kayak would be some sight too Laughing
snow report
Don't know about conditions at Stelvio, but if they are anything like Hintertux right now then they are grim! I would give it a miss tbh.
https://www.bergfex.at/hintertux/webcams/c256/
snow conditions
@mgrolf, there's not much to the hull once you strip the wingbars. think the foils were shipped separate, for a lot less than the boat would have been. bizarrely someone else in the line was having trouble getting a baseball bat onto the flight

@Steilhang, seen conflicting pics - looks very very bare but the snow still looks better than plastic

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1p_8Q1FV_J/?igshid=8fxkp5l9hm6c
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
Don't know about conditions at Stelvio, but if they are anything like Hintertux right now then they are grim! I would give it a miss tbh.
https://www.bergfex.at/hintertux/webcams/c256/

TBH that's not as bad as it could be for the time of year! Two good Autumn snowfalls and happy days..?
snow report
@clarky999, yes, I've seen worse, but it doesn't make me want to get my planks out tbh.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steilhang, haha no, that's true!

Looks like Stubai have adjusted the angle of their webcams to show as little of the slopes as possible...
snow conditions
@clarky999, yeah I don't need to decide until the night before anyway, so who knows. If the temp dips and it snows I might ski, if not, I'll hang out on the lake. Both good options
ski holidays
There's snow forecast for next week. Winter is coming Wink
snow conditions
It is currently +6c at 3000m...
snow report
@Ghost Dog, yep, looks like temps are dropping in the next few days!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy