Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Climb/Ski 'le vrai' Mont Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seems like you have the right attitude to the mountains buddy1664.

Rab Carrington told a mate of mine before our first alpine trip to always remember the golden rule...

Better a postponement than a postmortem.

In the winter alpinism game I always call it the conditions karma, where you have to take the rubbish conditions and weather that you often get with the fact that they offer the opportunity to go for a ski or just enjoy being away from the hassle and noise of everyday life. I think that if you let the moutains be and dont moan you will get rewarded with the perfect combination of weather, conditions and partners in time to meet any ambitions you have.

Good luck for next year, maybe see you in cham.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah, fair play on the guide calling it off. Clearly was 100% on the money. A small minority of people were still taking the Royal route but I think someone adapted the route slightly as it didn't follow the course we'd researched.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mont Blanc related ........

http://youtube.com/v/nfUfcklxWRg

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/28/us-mountaineer-condemned-filming-children-mont-blanc-avalanche
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
He's the CEO of a social media marketing company, therefore there is a strong chance this was a publicity stunt and this is adding to the SPAM sandwich.

I commend Sweeney's attempt to get his children to be contrarian in their attempt to shrug off generation Y, or wherever they are in the alphabet BUT………. what a dumb C you next tombsday!!!!! I bet he's a devout evangelical as well. Probably makes his kids recite Anselme Baud's 'Book of Death' like they are islamic extremists wrongly declaiming the Quran, whilst kneeling on thermorests, pointing at Mont Blanc!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Whilst we're talking of Monsieur Baud. Perhaps Pat should go and chat to him about losing one's child to the mountain. Let him capture the moment on his Gopro when he is looking into the eyes of a father that has lived too far beyond his son, due to a passion/addiction/habit that he introduced him to. That said, I would wager that Monsieur Baud did not take his son down Le Tour Ronde as soon as he graduated from the Panda Club!!!

Grand Couloir aside, what would have happened if HE had fallen on the Bosses Ridge??? I doubt his 9 year old would have jumped the other way in time and I very much doubt that his daughter would have held both of them.

I'd like to see them carryout a slick crevasse rescue of there unconscious father and then give him adequate basic life support if needed.

This is how that bastion of British bullsh*t, the daily mail reported it - "Father Patrick Sweeney SAVES daughter 11 and son 9"

"I heard P.J. scream first, and then Shannon scream and all I could think of was I have to bury my ice axe and I have to create a good anchor," Patrick Sweeney told Good Morning America.

Doesn't sound like his kids are reacting like experienced mountaineers who will have to make split second decisions to avert dyer consequences. No, it sounds like they are reacting like they should….. children.

We have seen too many children lead/dragged to their deaths in this region by fathers that are obsessed with there own machismo. They are so focused on a flawed belief that they are baptising their young children at such a young age with this exposure to a clear and real danger.

To kick off I would have normally mentioned a certain English naturalist if it wasn't so sad that children were involved. Evil or Very Mad So I'll just call him a F'ing Cockrel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes quite, it's no place for children

http://youtube.com/v/v1TJUTc3JCw

http://youtube.com/v/uIH8-WPAxag

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294699/Alps-deaths-First-pictures-Peter-Charlie-Saunders-killed-hiking-Alps.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:

They are making hard work of that.

There is normally a member of the PGHM stationed at the start of the route via the Gouter to advise climbers, I wonder if he saw this family? Maybe he was busy smoking a gaullois and didn't notice?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
DB wrote:

They are making hard work of that.

There is normally a member of the PGHM stationed at the start of the route via the Gouter to advise climbers, I wonder if he saw this family? Maybe he was busy smoking a gaullois and didn't notice?

I have to disagree with you there - unless you are realy high altitude fit - this is as fast as I would expect most people to be going, especially given the wind...then again it's always bloody windy up there
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is the Bosses Ridge between the Vallot Hut (4362m) and the summit (4808m)?

http://www.summitpost.org/mont-blanc-why-so-many-deaths/808297
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, not technical at all but a trip and slide would take you for a long long fall into Italy. If you're a confident mountaineer then some may not even rope up. It's all about the current conditions though.

There are lots of fairly inexperienced groups that summit, they rely souly on the strength/supiour acclimatisation/skills of their Guide. I personally think it's pretty dim to take young kids up there and put them in a position where they might have to orchestrate a rescue etc.

I've got two young boys, I'm conscious of them wanting to emulate their parents. It is one of our most basic of instincts. Therefore it's simply dumb to offer the argument "it's their choice, they want to do it." I'm not sure if their father was a ballerina they'd be begging to climb MB.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
The mayor of a French Alpine town lodged a complaint Monday against a man whose attempt to climb Mont Blanc with his young children to set a world record almost proved fatal.

http://news.malaysia.msn.com/top-stories/french-mayor-lodges-complaint-against-us-mont-blanc-father-2
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'ere you go, it is not that bad, although the surface there is very very hard snow, you couldn't really ski it say, off to the right.

and the Daupine has dug up the story of 7 year old Valerie Schwartz who summited in August 1991

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very different story with the skill ratio (three adults:one child) above but still fool hardy IMO. I've only been up there twice so by no means an expert. I have to agree with Idris though, didn't see many teams going much faster than the people in the video above and that includes a 4 man rando/lycra clad skimo team.

Yeah the Bosses Ridge isn't 'that bad' but I don't think a photo illustrates how most peeps are feeling when they are on it, never mind an under 10. The photo of the ridge above is probably the flattest and widest section though.

I really think Pat Sweeney was pretty dim to attempt this with two young children.

So davidof, whats your view, or is your opinion clear from the angle above?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Buddy1664 wrote:

So davidof, whats your view, or is your opinion clear from the angle above?

My view is that the weather has not really been stable enough this summer to risk climbing Mont Blanc. Period.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is little skill involved in the grand couloir, it's a lottery. Taking a 7 year old across it was reckless with someone's else's life.
What age you should encourage adventure at this level I wouldn't like to answer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy