Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, Val d'Isere & The Espace Killy 2013/14 (webcams post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
hawkesbaynz, deffo leave them at home. We left Melezes yesterday and you wont be ablee to ski home during your trip. The pistes up high are still great, but getting thin as you enter Le Lac or Valclaret. Odd rock appearing too. My advise is go high and stay there, then sun bath in the afternoon. That is what we did. We skied until 2-3pm each day
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
why on earth would you buy skis and then leave them at home?? I'd take them, don't ski closed runs and look ahead, you'll be fine!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ because ski hire is free! I'd (not intentionally of course) ruin theirs and leave my pristine ones at home until my next trip in better conditions. They're primarily for off-piste anyway and he's said he's not doing any.

Tignes is looking rather green/brown in places!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never mind green & brown - Tignes is looking very white all over today.

More snow forecast this week above 2200-2500m - mustn't grumble ahead of our trip on Friday. Two days skiing at Espace K then Val Thorens on Mon.

Anyone know why the main areas of Tignes are closing a week early this year? Tignes normally stays open a week longer han Val D'Isere. We don't want to stay in Tignes just to ski the glacier on the May Day bank hol Confused.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I took them and glad I did as the snow cover was good. A fat all mountain ski was just the ticket for the new (sticky) snow on an Icey base. Yesterday was phenomenal when the skies cleared and the new powder was to be had under the lifts and between the pistes - and no competition either.

Even ran into Admin on Monday and slowed him down for an hour.

In 30 years of skiing have never skied on such strange snow .....but it was snow, I was not at work, and enjoyed it. Full marks to MountainsunLtd too Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hawkesbaynz wrote:
.... Even ran into Admin on Monday and slowed him down for an hour...

Already looking forward to his return to the UK in order that he can get some buttons up for next seasons' PSB snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Still great conditions to be had around Tignes!

We went off for an adventure:

(there is a skier in there if you look closely...)

... which was most excellent. A long hot skin out got us back to Val Claret for 3, just in time for a great run down the North face of the Motte which is in very good conditions (don't believe the hype, as Chuck D would say), followed by good spring snow down the wall etc. Conditions around the glacier actually look really good at the moment - shame it shuts on Sunday!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was some talk when I left about the creation of some new pistes during the summer or next. Somebody asked me about this yesterday and I cannot remember what Sander from the Alpaka told me about this. Anyone have any info.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No SCGB Leaders in Tignes (or anywhere else in France) next season. Val d'Isere are taking some action the SCGB say. They will have ski ambassadors to provide advice but members it would seem will not be able to ski with them. Interesting to see the impact. I am pondering on what to do. Maybe a season going elsewhere. Maybe the first time for a decade I have not done a few weeks in the EK. If i decide not to go I will write to the resort saying my decision is a direct consequence of the unwarranted action.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Daughter working in Tignes at the Terachu this summer and this is the weather this morning (10th July).

We were hiking in Serre yesterday in light snow from around 2,300 and it was so cold.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just arrived back - mainly to finish works on the pad - now we have a new roof (almost!). Tignes is buzzing at the moment even though the glacier has shut for skiing. The hills are alive with mountain bikes (many more than previous summers - probably thanks to free lifts and the Val and Tignes park runs now linked just like the winter). We also have a wellness fair on the Rosset front with products ranging from the standard jewellery to face cream made out of crushed snails and another of snake venom Shocked Much more to my taste will be the wine festival which starts on Wednesay (hic!). Also a big firework display over the lake on Thu night.

As ever there are a lot of building works - no recession up here, including a spectacular hole on the bank between the Alpaka and Le Mairie. I'll post some photos shortly. I know that there are a few Alpaka diehards on here - the Hotel will be operated by Ski Val next season - but you will still recognise the bar Staff.

Weather warmish with some thundery showers over the last few days - looks like that's going to be the pattern for the next few days
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry for the delay in the photos - been a bit busy with the decorating. I organised 3 tradesmen over a period of3 days - and they all pitched up over a 2 hour period on one afternoon - heh ho!!

Today's weather is great - just as it should be for a summer holiday - sunny and 20 degs in the sun. Has been chilly and a bit wet over the last week, the mountain bikes have been returning in a real muddy state.

This morning was just perfect and there was a Jazz Band outside the Arbina:

Nice!! (That's just a bit of Tigski showing there).

Here's a long range shot of the Sassiere - still snowing up there on Thursday:

This is Lac de Tignes - lots of watersports going on (all free along with a whole range of activities that would put CentreParcs to shame)

And here's a view down the Rosset front with the Wine Festival in full swing - wines from all over France to taste and buy - a brisk trade in the sun - wasn't so busy in the rain:

I mentioned the building works - 3 and a half months ago this was the snowy/grassy bank between the Alpaka and the Marie - in that time they have dug one hell of a hole and built the first 4-5 stories of a serviced apartment block with bar and pool:

And when you dig a big hole - you end up with a big heap - so we now have the World's biggest kicker on the Lavachet Nursery slope!!

Oh and we had an awesome fireworks display on Thursday night - fired from on the lake and the path below the 'Fingers'. Photo doesn't really do it justice!!

Enough of this fun its time to go back to the paintbrush!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 17-08-14 15:04; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway, Probably one of the better photos of me!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To confirm that the weather has finally changed, a couple of photos just taken from the balcony.

The top of Toviere where the Aeroski used to be. Now the Toviere gondola.

Moving to the left we have a view that has changed since the end of last season. What has gone?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 17-08-14 18:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Mickeys ears??
ski holidays
peanuthead,

That was quick!!!
latest report
I got to watch the helicopter lifting them down a few weeks ago, while having lunch at the top of Toviere. Impressive stuff.
latest report
Thieving barstewards - they'll nick anything if its not nailed down!!
ski holidays
Another week passes - resort a little bit quieter after the main French hols have finished - weather still mixed as you would expect but some nice sunny days last week. Her are a few photos of the more odd things I have spotted over the last week.

Firstly, we seem to have a new form of childcare - put the brat in a big clear balloon and float them out onto the lake, then the parents can nip to the pub!

Next we have Fly Board - which was a new one on me - essentially your feet are strapped into a box and the modified jet ski pumps water into the box along a pipe and out it shoots from the jets. Watching from behind the safety of the gym window it seemed there was quite a bit of skill to this, some were getting quite a bit higher than this guy:

And finally - if yu are going to come to resort - you might as well do it in style - spotted behind Lo Terrachu (both members of the Brit Bentley Club)

My favourite (wonder if you can get snow tyres for this baby):

latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Thieving barstewards - they'll nick anything if its not nailed down!!

Any excuse to rewrite the off-piste guidebooks!
snow report
Blooming Hec
Did the 'ears for the first time last winter. Never again it would seem!
Taint nothing sacred!
September always gets the anticipatory juices going!
I know its 31/8.
snow report
Well, as the light draws in the lifts have just closed for the Summer Season and there is a distinct air of packing up before all the locals zip off on their hols.. Not been a bad week weatherwise and the renovations are complete - permission to shout hurrah in an annoyingly loud voice!

But just before the shutters came down we had the social event of the season. The marriage of Rocco and Delphine from the Jam Bar. A complete multinational affair as you would expect with a French bride, Italian groom and a whole bunch of jam Bar Clients.
The weather gods looked down kindly as we all rolled into the Marie at 3 o clock (well some of us cracked a pre-emptory bottle of shampoo in the Alpaka at 2 wink )

A shot 10 min ceremony conducted by Serge from the Gentiana (who is deputy mayor) - mildly humorous before the reading of Les Codes Civiles.

Then off we popped down to the Church at Les Boisses for the blessing which was much more informal than most expected with Rocco translating into Italian for his folks - so a bit like a 2 Ronnies double act:

Music was provide by 'Big Mountain' of Val D'Isere and Jam Bar fame:

As you can see - Andy was in full battle array

And after an hour out popped Mr and Mrs Jam Bar:

Spot the rice!

Back up the hill to Lo Terrachu by the lake - but no happy couple until this was spotted emerging from the far side of the lake:

That's Tom from L'Embu as honorary gondolier - luckily it remained the right way up wink

And then it was all onto the Terrace for Vin D'honneur:

And Yes - there are some suits there that haven't seen the light of day for many a moon!!!!

The family then had a formal meal, whilst the rest of us decamped to the Escale Blanche where TC made everybody wear a silly hat - much to the bemusement of the Fench clientele. After this brief sojourn it was back to the Terrachu for a multinational Jam Session. And then it was late!

But a Barbie for Sunday lunch back on the terrace returned us to an even keel.

That's it for now until the Glacier opens on Oct 4, I'll be back just before the opening of the Espace Killy on 29 Nov

TTFN
snow report
Lovely report!
ski holidays
I think we set up the 2014/15 topic when the glacier opens up again. I think I will come for Christmas/New Year and perhaps a week in April but that it will be it this season. Pastures or pistes new this year.
snow report
Well last year this topic was started Sept 16th so perhaps time to close this and move onto the 2014/15 topic??
snow conditions
Go for it if you want. Suggest title is just Tignes & Espace Killy 2014/15.
snow report
New one started - hopefully Kitenski can add the webcams in post 2. 101000 hits in a season - not bad - must apply for a free lift pass for all the free publicity!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway, trying to work out where the non flash, not wide screens webcams have gone!!
snow report
Looking at the pics of drowned Tignes village early this year I note that the drought up here this summer is now revealing the village of Mardale under Haweswater.........also near a ski area Laughing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-29340840
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy