Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in early April

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to take my daughter away this season but the only holidays that we can get together are from the 4th April, argh, is this too late? Anybody have experience of such late skiing? We are both intermediate skiers, this will be our 4th trip together. much appreciated.

Mark
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You should be fine. This isn't that late if you choose wisely. Look for somewhere high and with a good proportion of Northish facing slopes. In a normal season there'll be some Spring conditions but some lovely skiing under warmer temeratures. If you want something different, look at Sweden, Finland or Norway. They're often still in winter mode at this time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Anybody have experience of such late skiing?

Relax! I have skied past mid april for every one of the last 11 seasons in a resort at 1600m with a highest altitude of just under 2000m, always able to ski home which is at 1550m on a south facing slope (in the northern French Alps). Only had a problem with snow once in that time.

Best to choose a resort, as stated above, with plenty of north facing slopes. Aspect is more important than altitude, late season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mrs A; 14 April 2008; Combe de Saulire, Courchevel - and barely a soul in sight (well we couldn't see very far)!

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It'll be good, don't worry. Go to some highish resorts or a ones with glacier skiing if you're worried, but April is a great time to ski...nice and warm and often sunny. I've been a few times in the second half of April (mainly to Chamonix) and had a great time and lots of snow. Provided you're not after biting cold and icy pistes you'll have a great time!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't panic! The first week of April is NOT late for the loads of high resorts that are open until the end of April or into May- eg:
Espace Killy (Tignes/Val D'Isere)
3 Vallees (Val Thorens, Meribel, Courchevel etc)
St Anton
Lech/Zuers
Obergurgl
Soelden
Paradiski (La Plagne/Les Arcs)
Cervinia
Chamonix
Zermatt

I've skied most of the above in late season without any problems - there really is nothing to worry about!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
April can be the best time to ski. Longer days, empty pistes and usually pretty decent snow. For peace of mind you can go for guaranteed snow in Tignes, Val Thorens etc but most resorts will be fine! Pack plenty of sunblock though! Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No, no, its rubbish, go at half term please and keep the slopes empty in April Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
phew, thanks for the replies folks. Looks like I wont be missing out on my ski fix after all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Easter is late next year. Easter Sunday is 20 April. So, mark8500, if you are going on 4th April things should be pretty quiet. I have not checked but I assume many resorts will be trying to last until Easter weekend if not the weekend after.
If things work out for me I attend to be out until 12/13th April
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mark8500, there may some of the UK schools on holiday as well as some of the German states and parts of places like the Netherlands, but in general it should be quiet compared to the main school holiday period in February and at New year.

Been skiing in April since God knows when and to be honest, anecdotely-speaking, my impression is that the seasons are starting later and ending later. Time was we were worried about skiing from mid-March onwards, now I am hacked off that my season pass ends at the end of April! Happily most mainland Europeans pack their skis away in mid-March so we can enjoy the fluffy white stuff without it being skied out before 10.30am! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Anecdotely-speaking, my impression is that the seasons are starting later and ending later
I'll second that wink.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, mountainaddict, hmmm, my perception based on Northern French alps (your Austrian MMV) is that they're doing in 2013 exactly what they did in 1988...and more or less each year in between (annual variation allowed for).

In the 1930s Kitzbuhel town council voted against marketing it for winter sports before January as there was unlikely to be enough snow...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are loads of great places at that time of year! I've heard that Meribel is particularly nice!

A few friends of mine went to Val d'Isere about this time last year and said that it was fantastic, haven't been myself yet but have been meaning to!
Give it a google search, I'm sure there'll be some sites with some great deals Smile

Hope this helps,

SK Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mark8500, just to get back to your original question, we generally (although not the last two years as the weather's been rubbish at the weekend in April) finish skiing last weekend in April, first weekend in May. Usually barbeques and sunbathing become too attractive at the beginning of May to tempt us out much.

So early April should be glorious.
snow conditions
Skied this year last weekend in March in Lofer and Waidring and it was fab. Managed to get sun burnt, it was Easter and best thing is crowd levels relatively compared to mid term and didn't have all the Dutch and Germans who head to Austria for mid term and traffic can be chaos getting to the Alps.
ski holidays
Quote:

There are loads of great places at that time of year! I've heard that Meribel is particularly nice!

It probably was, last year, but most years Meribel wouldn't be my choice for a late-season holiday in the 3V.
ski holidays
We've skied the 6th / 7th April (for a week) for the last 2 seasons and had brilliant holidays, great snow, lovely sunshine etc etc.
April 2012 we went to Montgenevre, and in April 2013 Val Thorens, both were excellent.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy