Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia -Where to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there- looking at going to Cervinia this Feb half term -(last half term before I retire thank god!) going with 2 nervous intermediates, so from info on here looked a good choice. But am still not sure which part to rent an apartment in. The bit by the gondola or the bit by the Cretaz lift? Wonder if anyone who has been there could shed a bit more light. Not sure where ski schools start from. If at Plan Maison then how long does it take to go up the 2 chairs and ski down and could the 2 nervous friends do the little red part of the piste that leads to the blue. But like the fact that the Cretaz lift area is near to main town area and flat walk to it. Secondly the accommodation near the gondola - is it true there are lots of steps up to the station and how difficult is the red down from Plan Maison to that area. I know people have said the reds are more like blues but thought it was worth asking. OH said it may be quicker to get over to Zermatt this way. Looks a bit of a trek down to town from here for evening -but probably ok without ski boots on. Also wondered which would have the most queues as it is half term . Usually ski in France but as Paris is off the same time this year thought we would try Italy - So looking forward to it! Just wish more Italian apartments would have 2 bathrooms. A bit of a ramble I know but any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks snowHead . Kay
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Kay, I think the ski schools meet at the top of Plan Maison, so being based near the gondola/cable car would probably be better. Hotels like the Astoria and Petit Palais are very close and there's only the stairs in the lift building to negotiate. If you are staying in the town centre it is an uphill walk with lots of steps up to the Plan Maison lifts, I wouldn't want to do that in ski boots and carrying skis! You can get to Plan Maison using very easy blue runs from the town centre. Take chairlift up to Plan Torrette then the next chairlift up and blue 26 down to Plan Maison.

The red down to the bottom station of the gondola/cable car is fine for good intermediates but not for the nervous. When I was in Cervinia in Feb 2012 the temperatures were high and the snow had suffered a lot so most of the runs were porridgey and hard work, that one in particular, it's also narrow in places. A lot of the reds are flatteringly easy, that's the only one that really seemed like a true red. Be wary of red piste 16 too, it does not finish up quite where the piste map suggests it finishes, it's quite an uphill trek along a road to get back to the lift (in 18 degree heat in ski gear that was not pleasant!).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks so much for your reply - very helpful - I have messaged one of the ski schools to see where they meet but don't think they are around yet but need to book accommodation - The Cretaz area looks good and it would be nice for my friends to ski down at the end of the day. Have you any idea how long it would take to go up the 2 chairs and ski down to Plan Maison for lesson in the morning for 10am. Will also look at apartments near to the hotels you mentioned - Thanks so much for the information much appreciated. Kay.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kay, depends on the speed of skier. Up the two chairlifts would take around 10-15 minutes assuming no queues at either. A quick skier could bomb it down blue 26 in a few minutes, but it might take a nervous skier more like 15 minutes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for such a quick reply will have a think and a chat to friends and look at apartments available again. Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy