Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings for jr

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So after this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101917, I chose together with jr the following skis: http://www.ski-review.com/ski_reviews/review/scott_rook_2013/. They seem to tick all the boxes...maybe a tad too wide at 92mm in a 172 but he'll appreciate the ease of use offpiste more than the fraction of a second lost onpiste. Most importantly, he's stoked!

Now to the bindings to put on them. I have three options:

- re-use bindings from some of my old skis - I have a pair of Salomon 900S and Marker Free 1200 Titanium, both DIN 4-12. I guess the main question is one of whether release values are still reliable.
- get him a new pair of bindings - but which ones?
- cut to the chase and put him on Marker Barons so he can start a bit of touring - ok it's also a used pair but they're much newer.

Based on this list http://www.playitagainsportslatham.com/users/pias-10966/documents/2013_Indemnification_List.pdf, it looks like the Markers Titanium 1200 Free are still on the "indemnified" list, while the Sallies aren't.

Just to clarify, in case someone thinks I'm risking my son's injury for a few quid. The whole point in asking is to understand if they're safe or not, and possibly better than some new but lower-quality bindings. I personally would have zero problems in skiing on either of those two older bindings myself (well if I had an alpine boot - using touring boots in an alpine binding, although I've done it before, is more risky). I'm taking extra care for him.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep the 900's went off the Indemnified List last season but your Markers are still on. I've a pair of 900S's that I use on my tech lessons for teaching mounting as they have manual toe height/wing adjustment so they've been regularly torque tested - & in the last couple of weeks one of the toe springs broke & one the heel bases cracked - so there's a reason they're now off the list.

The biometric toes on the Markers suck but with your son's light weight you shouldn't get the pre-releases associated with it.

Your Barons would be fine with their walk mode being handy & their touring rails acting as a riser plate which will help in edging the wider ski, especially on harder pistes. However they're pretty heavy for someone of his build so I'd say save them & get him some F10's.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks spyderjon. I'll have a look for the F10s. Still wondering about using the Barons though. (EDIT: hmmmm, F10s at 187 Euros)

In the meantime the skis arrived, he's going to be one stoked minihorizon!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy