Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

off-piste courses - where are they on all winter?

Poster: A snowHead
I had a recent fantastic experience in St Anton with Piste to Powder, doing 5-days of off-piste with them.

What I would like to know is where else and what other companies offer off-piste groups, throughout the year.

I am aware of Snoworks which does periodic courses in various resorts, which seems well recommended, and Mountain tracks though I don't know much about these. Also I am aware of Alpine Experience in Val d'Isere

There is also ESF classe 4, although despite advertisement, when you arrive in resort this class is rarely being offered (it is always on offer in Tignes, maybe someone could tell where else it is reliably offered throughout the year).

I believe UCPA /Club Med are other options but not options for me (OH will not do UCPA, and I dont have means to do Club Med)

What would be great would be a list of companies / resorts which are reliably offering group classes throughout the year, and do SH's vouch for expertise, local knowledge, and above all prioritization of safety on the part of the guides ? (I will start by giving P2P 5 stars in all of the above)[/url][/list]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-05-13 22:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did Le Grand Ski with ESF in Les Coches in March. £153 for a weeks guiding with some instruction (I was only non-Francophone on the course). It was all off-piste five mornings. Great value and fun.....though may have been better with English speakers.

Will be looking for some more instruction next year too. Piste to Powder may be an idea as always fancied St Anton.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
peanuthead,

I've done an off-piste courses with sH's poster, Offpisteskiing who works with Mountain Tracks and also a course with Snoworks. I found both excellent with not a lot between them. Both put a particularly heavy emphasis on safety and control. I was initially suprised at how much! But it's hugely reassuring and confidence building. I felt safe at all times (well, 80% of it - we all need a few thrills now and then).

Snoworks alternate between a day with an instructor and a day with a guide which is extremely complementary. The guide I had spent a lot of time passing on mountain knowledge (i.e. snow types, slope aspects and how weather conditions have affected them with regard to avalanche risk) and reinforcing that each day we had him. I already have a certain amount of that knowledge gained in practice over the years and continue to read endless books about it but there is nothing like having it pointed out in the field and repeated time and time again by an expert. (A bit like sex really, for maximum enjoyment and an injury-free time, approach every slope like it's the first one!).

Both organisations have taken my skiing forward in different ways with a few game changing tips and making me put them into practice. I would use either again.

I don't think they do summer courses but I could be wrong. If you're really, really desperate during the summer, I guess you could always try local guides in Europe and be prepared for a big, big walk or two. I've only had local guides who are on the ball and safety concious but I've seen others who supply their clients with a transceiver tied on with string and no shovel or probe - not a place I ever want to be in.

Or move to NZ/Argentina/Australia.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

A bit like sex really, for maximum enjoyment and an injury-free time,

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I shudder to think what injuries you've had during your sexual encounters..........
How tight were your bindings set............? Ha ha ha... Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi peanuthead,

I work with Mountain Tracks who sponsor the off piste forum. If you click on the link at the top right of this page it will direct you to our off piste performance courses.
All of our courses are run by BASI level 4 instructors and UIAGM guides.

As a brief synopsis, the courses normally run for 6 days with a warm up day followed by 5 full days of instruction and guiding. We focus on safety and in particular training clients in avalanche awareness and involving them in our decision making throughout. That and bringing your skiing up to scratch and making you as versatile as possible to deal with the ever changing conditions you are likely to find. The courses run at 2 levels, Intro and Plus, I think from your experience the Plus is best for you. The courses run throughout the season and in various areas that we have chosen for their off piste terrain.

Sorry for the pitch - hope this is helpful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
peanuthead, there are many snowHeads who can testify to Diverskify's great teaching skills! Very Happy Very Happy (And he's got an exceptionally lovely dog, too!)

Diverskify, is 'Intro' really, really intro? Although I've skied quite a bit of variable terrain, I've done little in powder, except just to the side of the piste, and am interested in finding an 'on piste to off piste' course which is genuinely for off piste beginners. Probably won't happen this season, as I have too much booked already (including, notionally, the EoSB!) but maybe next year.
PS Hope you and Talisker are both well!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
peanuthead, The Ski Club of Great Britain organise a wide range of courses under their Freshtracks brand. The best ones (imo) by far are the ones they organise in Flaine due to the quality of the resident instructors Yann and Diane
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the rocks, I've done an introductory off-piste course with SCGB in Klosters: the instruction was confined to 'follow me' and 'bounce'. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done a few weeks with Snoworks and rate them very highly. As other people have said, they have an over-arching philosophy pioneered by Phil Smith, so all the instructors are on the same (effective) message. Also the last time I was in St Foy I shared accommodation with a group who were doing a Mountain Tracks course, and they were all very happy with the quality of the instruction. I don't think you'd go far wrong with either.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Diverskify, is 'Intro' really, really intro?

From both first hand and second hand experience of Mountain Tracks, their groups have been of the advertised standard. The one discrepancy being the avalanche course where the skiing standard was high bordering on genuine expert. That didn't matter that much, though.

Chamex are also very good. As is Richard Mansfield, who is currently operating as Mountain Guide Adventures.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pedantica, Yes I don't doubt there is a range of quality in SCGB's offering and I've had mixed experiences myself. Coming into skiing from climbing a few years ago I've got really stuck into off piste and really pleased with my progress, I do a fair bit off off piste and ski tours unguided with friends around Chamonix as well as guided / instruction trips with SCGB, a Snowhead bash and others. The two trips I had on SCGB's Flaine weeks brought me on more than anything else, and I also had a lot of fun - hence my specific recommendation. The instructional sessions and guiding I enjoyed on the Pre Season Bash were very good but with the pick n mix format I did not get as much out of it as I did with a full 6 days' instruction and guiding.

I enjoy skiing with a wide range of people, climbing and skiing mates, SCGB members and Snowheads. I find it sad that some Snowheads (not you Pedantica Little Angel ) are all to ready to dis all aspects of the SCGB due to a spat on an internet chat forum several years ago rolling eyes .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the rocks, no, indeed, I've actually done two Freshtracks holidays in Klosters, the first (without instruction) was superb in every respect, the leader in particular was outstandingly effective. The second one was pretty terrible though, not only in terms of instruction, but the leader too was a dead loss. As you say, it's the individuals who can make or break the offering and I agree, having done several courses with Inspired to Ski - are they still in existence? - and with Inside Out Skiing, that an intensive week pays greater dividends than odd lessons (which are, however, better than nowt.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big Paua wrote:
A bit like sex really, for maximum enjoyment and an injury-free time, approach every slope like it's the first one!.

To quote Manu Lestien

"Why is skiing with a guide like using a condom?

Cos it's safer with but more fun without"

On that topic, La Grave bureau des guides have a scratch group every day I understand or Skier's Lodge run week long guided parties.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^^^ Skier's Lodge sometimes do things other than week long trips if you contact them directly. They used to advertise long weekend trips - haven't checked the website to see if they still do

Anyway, they are a good outfit. Not really a structured course but you will probably be a better skier for doing one of their trips
snow conditions
Quote:

I've done a few weeks with Snoworks and rate them very highly

I think snoworks pinched my Snowheads screen name, so I dont Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

^^^ Skier's Lodge sometimes do things other than week long trips if you contact them directly. They used to advertise long weekend trips - haven't checked the website to see if they still do

I would suggest being at a good standard before going with them. You want to either aspire to ski couloirs or already be at that level. I was in the lowest ability level of the groups they run and we went down the Rama on day three.

We had a lower level group of theirs drop gear and the odd client on Swirly in Voute earlier this year but I think that was an abberation. Mind you we were having a bit of a muppet-fest ourselves at that point.
snow conditions
livetoski, Laughing

Has anyone tried Powder Extreme in Verbier? They seem to have some seriously good personnel. No connection, just wondering.
ski holidays
evski, Steve Sparks is a regular poster here, and a regular client of theirs...send him a PM
ski holidays
peanuthead, why does the OH refuse to do UCPA? They do have double rooms in some centres and they are by far the cheapest way of doing off piste, as far as I can see. Good food, highly qualified instructions, top resorts, all inclusive. The reason I would have concerns (apart from being far too old) is that I would be worried about being in a group of very fit, good, skiers and not being able to keep up.
snow report
Not skied with Powder Extreme but skied a little with Gherado outside work hours. Highly recommended. He also took a friend through L2. Her skiing is a little Basoid but very solid.
ski holidays
peanuthead, I have skied many weeks with Piste to Powder in St Anton - they have been really excellent and I wish I could guarantee such quality guiding in all the resorts I go to. One of the criteria for my ski trips is the availability of off-piste guided group skiing, I have tried a good few and I will share my experiences.

EVO 2 Tignes Le Lac, Val Claret. Some really superb skiing with Eric Lafargue and a Dutch guide, some indifferent skiing with a young French guide. Really amazing private sessions.
ESF Tignes Le Lac, Val Claret. The standard of the morning groups can be highly variable. I have been in excellent groups and had wonderful skiing. I have experienced some really great skiing and some massive slow groups. I have experienced some really brilliant skiing in private sessions with a range of guides.
Oxygene 'Steep and Deep' La Plagne. Superb guide Christophe Monet, great quick small group, incredible snow and terrain - an incredible week.
Zermatt - SCGB organised groups, with local guides - really excellent.
P2P St Anton - consistently Excellent. I went there for at least a week for 7 years (or so) because of the guiding.
Rock and Snow, Zillervalley - An excellent week of fresh tracks.
The Freeride Centre, Solden - Excellent guiding and skiing with Lorraine Huber and Marcus.
UCPA off piste courses in, Chamonix, Argentierre, Tignes, La Plagne, Les Arcs, VDI. I have skied off-piste, Freeriding, Pente Forte, and Evasion courses. Consistently excellent - the guides often start here. The last one I did was Evasion Tarentaise from Les Arcs, an excellent group and brilliant super hard working guide, early starts, quick lunches and late finishes. Bluebird days in St Foy and Les Arcs were the highlights of the week. The UCPAs are excellent and you can get twin rooms in La Plagne, Chamonix and some others. As long as you are fit enough and good enough the age thing is not an issue on the UCPA off-piste courses - I am well over age.

I think it is always a bit of a gamble with off-piste groups. It is good if the operation has different levels so people can fit in with their own standard, that is why P2P and UCPAs are so consistent. To guarantee a great time splash the cash and hire your own guide!

I hope this helps.
ski holidays
I think EVO2 (Evolution2) do other resorts too.
At Val d'Isere I like Topski (though Alpine Experience is very good) because their top guided groups tend to be better skiers.
I used to go on lots of Ski Club of GB off-piste holidays (a few do instruction but most are with guides) but I've got enough like-minded ski friends now to organise my own groups and hire a guide I like. 6 is generally the best group size (the largest that most guides are happy to take so the cheapest per person) and this is cheaper than going with a public group - unless your group is 4 or fewer. Obviously it is important that all on the group are about the same standard - not so much because of keeping the speed up as so that you get taken on routes to challenge the better skiers.
I agree that Piste to Powder are good but they are very expensive - and all the Verbier guides are expensive but Adrenaline are OK though I'm not certain that they do public groups - you'd have to check.
snow report
offpisteskiing.com run their own courses, for various levels of skill and experience (Introduction, Improvers, Perfection..). Simon is better known on here as a extreme skier and a guide, but he is also a terrific instructor who will dedicate all available time to help you improve. I couldn't recommend him highly enough.
latest report
peanuthead, ditto Arno ---- Skierslodge La Grave.
latest report
evski, I've been skiing with Powder Extreme for 8 seasons now. I obviously like them! A combination of the stunning Verbier terrain, top notch coaching and some seriously good guys makes for a great time. I tend to do their week long camps. 5 days of 9-5 serious off piste skiing. All lift accessed, no skins, but some impressive hikes at times. I'm told it's improved my skiing, certainly improved my knowledge of the mountain and I've made some great mates doing it.

It's a great formula and I'll be back for more this winter. www.powder-extreme.com
snow report
On this topic - anyone know of / recommend long weekend (3-4 days ) courses ? Sorry but can't manage a whole week due to other skiing committments snowHead
snow report
Steve Sparks, is that 790Chuffs just for the camp Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are just too many great courses, that's the problem!
snow report
dsoutar, I've found long weekend touring courses with Mountain Tracks that I'm looking at. http://mountaintracks.co.uk/activity/ski-touring-skills

Unfortunately their non-touring off-piste courses are all 5/6 days.

I'd be interested in any long weekend off-piste courses in Chamonix too...
snow conditions
peanuthead, another +1 for Offpisteskiing. Truly excellent and inspiring snowHead
snow report
any recommendations for Montafon?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy