Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

~ snowHeads Ski Test Milton Keynes SnowZone 28th Sept ~ CLOSED

Poster: A snowHead
I was definitely emotionally in from around last Thursday to when the numbers crept well north of 40, but accepted on another Gaper activity in Gaperville tomorrow pm now.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
little ms spock wrote:
Any chance of a veggie option (for the fussy eaters)? Oh, and I don't drink beer, is wine or cider on the menu? Toofy Grin rolling eyes Toofy Grin

I have not been there before but I have it on fairly good advice there is a local pond full of water and surrounded by lush green grass. Might not be as simple as ordering existing veggie stuff from the menu but hey ho Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin wrote:
SnowZone have made the offer to do Chicken Curry or Beef Chili + a Corona Beer during the Pisting break for £6, which seems very reasonable.

I've added a food option to the OP - you're not committing to it and I'm not collecting the money or anything, it's just to give them a guide for the level of demand.

andyman wrote:
little ms spock wrote:
Any chance of a veggie option (for the fussy eaters)? Oh, and I don't drink beer, is wine or cider on the menu? Toofy Grin rolling eyes Toofy Grin

I have not been there before but I have it on fairly good advice there is a local pond full of water and surrounded by lush green grass. Might not be as simple as ordering existing veggie stuff from the menu but hey ho Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I only asked in case this excluded me from the collective. Seeing as only a few people have signed up so far that doesn't look like it's a problem and, as you say, there is always the cafe menu which will probably have something. Although I have been there before and I can't remember being particularly inspired by the offerings in Xscape so may well wander over towards MK1 instead.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
admin,
do we have to book the skiing separately, or is the skiiing included in the price???????????????/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No it's OK pozza, the price covers slope time and access to the Ski Test.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's a pretty definitive list of what will be on offer this afternoon:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowbase_list_ski_data.php?TestSkis
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin,
As I expected, not much of a selection Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blimey, that's a whole lotta skis Shocked

Is it wrong that I actually LOL'd at the VJJs? Brilliantly bad naming by Armada Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You might have an eye for the VJJ's little ms spock, but I'm curious to know what the Nordica Badmind is about.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a great day out everyone.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ooh this is just like normal bash excitement!

Check into hotel. Check

Book table for lunch. Check

Ski kit ready. Check

Let's rock and roll Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
enjoy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That was a great evening. Thanks dadmin for organising + family members and other elves for their assistance oh and of course the ski providers!

I am very fortunate in that my quiver contains only skis that I know and love and cover most eventualities. I therefore was not looking for n+1 tonight, simply wanted to have a blast on some different kit Smile

It worked.

I tried some good and some not so good but I had a blast. And so to did the new family sH's thejojo, thehasa and theloulou no testing for them but they loved the evening and the post event natter.

And an added bonus, I feel my summer legs are now better prepared for the next bash. Roll on PSB Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another 'Thank you' from me to admin, and everyone else involved in organizing the evening snowHead

All the ski reps were really friendly and helpful and I also got to chat to a few people. Very Happy

However, the skis I enjoyed most were not any of the demo ones but a pair belonging to another snowHead! Laughing (Thank you little ms spock,)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyman, I look forward to you spearheading the "Making Britain great again through international dialling codes" campaign.

A good afternoon/evening with quite a few surprises. My thoughts:

Rossi 83mm (Experience?) - perfectly good, no real life in it but very similar to another model I'd used in April with similar results.

Armada ArvTi - surprisingly good edge for a 98mm ski, and length wasn't noticeable despite being 5cm longer than my "long" skis. Enjoyed these, would quite happily trade for my day to day allrounder, the Legend Sultan 85.

Whitedot Preacher not as good as expected. It was perfectly capable on the piste, but wasn't fun and poppy like my Icelantics, which I kind of expected them to be. I'd quite happily own a pair, but the hype on here didn't come true for me.

Rossignol Squad 7 - it looked like it was going to be good, it felt like it was going to be good, Andy loved the Super 7 so I was hoping it would be good, but didn't set me on fire.

Line Sick Day 95 - perfectly good ski, not different enough to the skis I've got to merit any change, and probably not enough sidecut to be an allrounder for me.

Finished the day on some Nordica Steadfast, which were, as the name suggests, fairly steadfast. Decent ski, similar to most of the other 85-90mm waist allrounders, felt very narrow after all the above skis, but I'd quite happily have a pair of these.

I think that was everything I got my hands on today, a good day that changed my perception of the width of some skis - I would probably go wider than before with some of these skis for all mountain, assume this is due to the stiffness and sidecut giving them good edge.

Mrs P was largely delighted with the Armada VJJ and the Head Cyclic. Two skis that if you put in front of her on any ski trip in the past she wouldn't have even imagined skiing. The Heads particularly were long (181) and wide (113mm) but seemed to get the thumbs up - we'd have never considered either as an offpiste ski for her, so the ski test achieves its objective.

Plus while I was out Saracens beat Quins, so a good afternoon all round Very Happy
snow report
I was fondling some Squad 7s earlier. They did look nice, but a bit fat for me.
snow report
Iski wrote:
Another 'Thank you' from me to admin, and everyone else involved in organizing the evening snowHead

All the ski reps were really friendly and helpful and I also got to chat to a few people. Very Happy

+ 1

Iski wrote:
However, the skis I enjoyed most were not any of the demo ones but a pair belonging to another snowHead! Laughing (Thank you little ms spock,)

You're welcome. I'm pleased to say that they stood up to the competition (where's the 'phew, that's a relief' smiley?).
For anyone who's interested the skis Iski borrowed were available on the ski test, just in a longer length.

I really enjoyed trying out a few different skis as I (finally) trust my judgement enough to commit to buying a pair (or two). There were certainly a few that I enjoyed playing with and I may be popping back to the Snozone to try the Wild Belles in the shorter length at some point. I didn't get to try the VJJs in the end, but I did try their sister, the TSTW, which were quite good fun.
snow conditions
Mistress Panda wrote:

Plus while I was out Saracens beat Quins, so a good afternoon all round Very Happy

Mistress Panda
, I see you have the right priorities. Very Happy

I got onto the slope at 8pm and there were still some snowheads testing skis. I spoke to one gentlemen with a lovely Scottish accent who were testing some Armada skis. Seem though thhat most people were havign fun,

On a different note, did anyhow find the snow a tad slow in the evening session?
latest report
ysb33r, yes, after pisting it was a bit mushy - I think that is fairly normal. Personally I didn't think it needed treatment, but I guess the alternative is doing it at 11pm when everyone has cleared off.
ski holidays
Did anyone test the Head Mya 8? If so please can you say how they were? Thanks Smile
ski holidays
musher wrote:
I was fondling some Squad 7s earlier. They did look nice, but a bit fat for me.

I take the Squad 7s are skis and not members of the Snowdome staff. Toofy Grin
snow report
Yes thanks to Admin & everyone who helped out , great event testing all the skis
a case of too many skis not enough time ! could have spent a whole day & nite there
snow report
DB,

Unless you have video evidence it wasn't me Toofy Grin
latest report
That was most excellent fun - many thanks to all involved in making it happen, great effort Smile

Random thoughts...

Tried all sorts of different skis, took photos of them all as an aid memoire and the ones that really stand out were the Armada wide thingies and Head's Rev3.

Not sure which variety the Armada's were - red lettering on white/grey graphics, 16m turn radius - chose them on the grounds they were totally unsuited to xscape and as no-one else was using them... well, you have too - and had an absolute blast - incredibly easy to ski, got air without trying, was challenged to do tiny little turns in them (after being called a silly boy for picking them) and did 1/2dozen straight off never having skied on anything even close to that wide before. Could play on those all day, superb fun, skied like a carver, loved it Laughing
Blizzard Magnum 8.0 - great fun, quick ski, nice and responsive - liked that - more flexible than the Magnum 7.7 which apparently has a titanium rod vs carbon fibre in the 8.0. Didnt like the 7.7 at all, hrrible thing, couldnt turn or get any real response from it and spent quite a while trying - the 8.0 much more fun, one of the top skis of the evening for me.
Head I Titan - didnt live up to the hype, found them disappointing. If Blizzard 8.0s were an Audi A6, these were definitely a Mondeo Estate.
Rossignol Pursuit 16 - as good as the Blizzards, possibly better, or maybe I was more into thes swing of it by then...
Head Rev3, the most agile and quickest of the piste skis for me by some distance, despite it providing me with the biggest and most spectaular crash I've yet manged at xscape ! Going back to the car simile, compared to the other two this was some kind of insane Lotus Very Happy This one I would buy. Well, it was a classic wipeout...... never had that much air in xscape without the aid of a ramp ! pity about the landing..... Embarassed
Also tried the Armada Norwalk, 21m turn radius - loopy choice for xscape but they ski light, get air.... and were ludicrously fast yet very easy to turn - and stop Smile

Didnt get to try any of the white dot offerings unfortunately, mainly as grrr@ my sister K who had them when I went looking Laughing

Again - many thanks to Admin especially, great to meet you again after so long, and looking forward to next year's test - I want to try those preacher's everyone was on about Smile

Oh - and a gentle hat-tip to Xcsape staff - there were quite a few of us on-piste but the queues were well-managed and quick moving, there was scarcely any wait with the only delays of note being when people fell off the lift Embarassed Good effort

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 29-09-13 20:14; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Mistress Panda wrote:
ysb33r, yes, after pisting it was a bit mushy - I think that is fairly normal. Personally I didn't think it needed treatment, but I guess the alternative is doing it at 11pm when everyone has cleared off.

Ski'd over the tracks left by the tubing and sledging as they took the fences down, they were surprisingly deep. It was definitely better there after the break.
latest report
Thanks Admin and crew for organising and managing the night. M01R and I enjoyed our evening of trying different skis and meeting some more Snowheads. As Parkyparcours exclaimed, it makes you want to be on the slopes now, sadly I have until the S10BB to wait.
snow conditions
Really sorry I did not make it, and more sorry I did not reply to the chasing e-mail.

It all went a bit manic, I am in the middle of selling a house and we exchanged and I suddenly found myself having to clear the property over the weekend, last weekend.

I hope it was an excellent day and keep me posted about any other ones that come up.

G
ski holidays
It did seem to go very well actually.

We recorded 181 tests with the new system and given there were a few glitches that prevented some tests being recorded (plus a few naughty snowHeads who were without their cards) I'd say it's fair to claim there were a massive 200 tests during the 4 hours skiing we had Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since this has proved so popular and well received, swept up on a wave of gratitude and flattery, I've had a little discussion with Ellis Brigham re. the idea of a 'mini-tour' of snowHeads ski tests in November, between the ski shows and the PSB.
The dates would be.... drum roll..... (while holidayloverxx makes conflicting plans)

Milton Keynes - Sat 9th November.
Tamworth - Wed 13th November.
Castleford - Sat 16th November.

Now afore ye scottyHeads make a fuss...
EB are scheduled to do a test at Braehead on 23rd Nov but I can't be there unless we can persuade Ronald and Wigan to shift their wedding North of the border to the snowSlope... which, knowing them, might just be worth a shot Wink
Seriously though, if there's a) demand and b) the will amongst us to get it sorted, I'm happy to make sure the infrastructure-minus-myself is available for the Braehead test too.

There are a few details yet to sort out, but after last weekend, MK are enthusiastic enough to have virtually confirmed already snowHead
ski holidays
admin is there any chance of of a similar skitest at Hemel Hempstead Snow Centre ?
ski holidays
Quote:

Didnt get to try any of the white dot offerings unfortunately, mainly as grrr@ my sister K who had them when I went looking

you snooze....you loose...they were great

Quote:

The dates would be.... drum roll..... (while holidayloverxx makes conflicting plans)

Milton Keynes - Sat 9th November.
Tamworth - Wed 13th November.
Castleford - Sat 16th November.

Can you not persuade EB to stage a subtle invasion of snow and rock's territory in manchester for those of us up north.....
snow conditions
Isn't Castleford in the North somewhere?
ski holidays
it's the wrong side of north....typical southerner thinking everywhere north of watford gap is the same Laughing
snow conditions
No,no I know Scotland's a different place from the North. It's where the Wildlings and the White Walkers come from.
ski holidays
snowxxx, +1 - Early January?
snow report
admin wrote:
Isn't Castleford in the North somewhere?

This might help ..... (Set search for open indoor snow)

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/slopes
snow report
I'd definitely be up for another one at MK or Hemel.

Couldn't make this one through injury, but should be sufficiently healed in time for November. I want to get some skis for the coming season and something from the Head Rev series is looking appealing. Be great to have a try of a few in their range.
snow conditions
Would definitely be interested in Castleford as its the only one within a reasonable distance of me!
snow conditions
Count me in for another at MK - or Hemel if it went there, tho prefer MK.
latest report
admin, count me in for the Castleford event - thanks for thinking of us Northerners Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy