Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New BD BATTERY & FAN powered airbag!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.wildsnow.com/10794/jetforce-black-diamond-airbag-backpack/

Sounds VEEEERRY interesting. I'm guessing the auto-deflation thing would leave an airpocket if you do still end up buried in a slide... If they combine this with the avalung, could be onto a real winner!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No need to worry about filling canisters if you trigger it accidentally on a multi-day trip, no flying concerns...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The question is when ?
Autumn 2014 ? Or later?

Seems strange to leak your product to a science mag.
Could be huge *if* it works....
However seems this idea has still to be proven much beyond concept or perhaps a proto-type ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From TGR, I gather maybe 'soft launch' this season, full release next. Supposedly everything works, they're just fine-tuning the battery (*apparently* to make sure it can last 3 days at -30ºC).

No personal knowledge of it though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm. An interesting idea but I have a doubt. The basic concept is sound, but a fan running at 60000rpm for 3 minutes, in an enclosed space is going to generate a lot of internal heat which it can't dump. Heat leads to failure. Also unsure about the whole deflation thing, Yes you've got an airpocket thanks to the bag, but what are the chances it'll be stable after only 3 minutes to settle? For all its PITAness gas cans are very simple tech with very little to go wrong - once you trigger it the only thing it can do is empty.

Watch with interest...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Its an interesting development I heard about it last year from an industry insider but was not given much detail other than it was being worked on.

As mentioned it will have to go through very vigorous testing to be brought to market successfully and also as its electrical it will be interesting to see what the airlines make of it Shocked its taken the IATA a long time to get lithium batteries listed on their regulations.

All the talk of flying with avi airbags and cylinders is from a US point of view where internally it is not allowed so its perceived as a big problem for the US market, who are late to the show as usual , where as in Europe it is not a problem these days and I am sure will get even easier and more convenient from a cylinder point of view.

The other areas they will have to address are the ability to suck the air into the bag, after all this is a 200L bag which is the biggest airbag of any of the brands, thats a lot of air to drag in from inside the bag essentially and this presents problems with snow and other contaminants being dragged into the fan.

And wow a fan at 60,000 rpm, would that give you enough lift to just hover out of the way Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

At the end of the day, I would love to test one for the 2014 2015 season and see if there will be an advantage over the other systems on the market.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap wrote:
The question is when ?
Autumn 2014 ? Or later?

Seems strange to leak your product to a science mag.
Could be huge *if* it works....
However seems this idea has still to be proven much beyond concept or perhaps a proto-type ?

Lou Dawson seems to imply he knows a lot more about it than he is saying but is embargoed at the moment. I think the idea is great and a real solution to the single major (non direct ) issue that current airbags face that is ease of refills when travelling. Obvious caveats would be challenges over use/reliability of rechargeable batteries, fan durability etc etc. Also not sure where the air goes assuming total burial when fan goes into reverse - it is assumed it goes into external airpocket between user and snow but if the fan "exhaust" is blocked?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, The whole ease of use when traveling will be down to the issue of, if you can actually take one of these new bags on a flight, the current regulations are written for airbags with cylinders, the cylinder is only part of the problem when it comes to the IATA regs, the fact that there is an airbag in the backpack is one of the issues and the current regs are written for these bags. Its taken 4 years for the IATA to update the regs for cylinder size!

I would love to be more on the inside track on the bags features and how its put together, what size the battery is and what power out put it has to drive a fan at 60,000 rpm ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski, a standard 6 or 8 cell Lithium poly battery pack would take care of your power requirements and shouldn't raise any eyebrows at the XRay machine. There is nothing here you couldn't do 'off the shelf' - question is, is the kit robust enought to stand getting rolled and hold out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think that was 6000, not 60,000 RPM. Bit of a difference.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Hmm. An interesting idea but I have a doubt. The basic concept is sound, but a fan running at 60000rpm for 3 minutes, in an enclosed space is going to generate a lot of internal heat which it can't dump.

Warm gases expand to a greater volume therefore fills quicker and condenses as it cools coupled with cooling of high pressure gas movement to low pressure could mean less motor run to empty?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski wrote:
fatbob, The whole ease of use when traveling will be down to the issue of, if you can actually take one of these new bags on a flight, the current regulations are written for airbags with cylinders, the cylinder is only part of the problem when it comes to the IATA regs, the fact that there is an airbag in the backpack is one of the issues and the current regs are written for these bags. Its taken 4 years for the IATA to update the regs for cylinder size!

I would love to be more on the inside track on the bags features and how its put together, what size the battery is and what power out put it has to drive a fan at 60,000 rpm ?

yeah but i think there is a big diff between "take the battery out" and "take the explosive trigger gas canister out". It s like turning your iPad off...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I imagine the battery is quite a substantial lithium-ion one. It could well be banned from aircraft too because of the fire risk - think Dreamliner.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/lithium-batteries.aspx
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy