Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Luggage storage if we get the ski train to Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
OK folks need some info - I'm considering the overnight ski train which gets in at about 6am on the Saturday. So resort pretty early and check in at apartment not until 4pm. I'm only considering the train as we could get in a whole 2 extra days skiing. The question is what to do with luggage? Has anyone done this? What do you do? I was going to get a ski locker but they're not big enough for suitcases! Any suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jellybabe, Get the bus up to Tignes, dump your luggage at the Tourist Office in Le Lac.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you leave your luggage at the tourist office? We're heading to Val Claret but Le Lac would be fine. Do they have storage then?
Thanksxx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jellybabe, The left luggage depot is in Le Lac, you can get the free local bus to Val Claret after you finish skiing.

EDIT: The resort map here does show a left luggage place in Val Claret but it is a lot further from the nearest bit of snow than the one in Le Lac.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
The resort map here does show a left luggage place in Val Claret but it is a lot further from the nearest bit of snow than the one in Le Lac
Le Lac Tourist Office/Left Luggage: In Maison de Tignes, which is the main tourist office and right next to the bus station where you will get off the bus from Bourg. 50 metres to both the Palafour Chair and (new) Aeroski lift that opens in Nov/Dec.

Val Claret Tourist Office/Left Luggage: As opposed to being next to the bus stop like at Le Lac, the Val Claret office is about a 5 min walk (with luggage) from the nearest bus stop and also involves going up a lift (ie pedestrian elevator) as the Val C town centre area is higher than where you would get off the bus. After that it would be a max 5 mins walk to the Tufs Chairlift, which also connects to Val D'Isere. All certainly do-able, depending on amount of luggage - no problem with a rucksack but wheelie cases are not much fun in the snow Confused ....

Both tourist offices have ticket offices. Excelllent clean showers/WCs as well if you need to freshen up after your journey. And free wi-fi too.

Taking into account the above, my advice would be to leave the luggage at Le Lac - you could then easily ski/board back down to Le Lac at the end of the ski day and then bus back up to Val Claret with your luggage. The bus to Val C goes from a stand next to where you get off the bus up from Bourg.

The free ski buses are excellent and run on a continuous loop round all parts of the resorts - so it's easy to get back up to Val Claret and vice versa. If you tell me which accommodation you are staying in in Val Claret jellybabe, I can tell you which bus stop you need when you get there.

One final thing: both left luggage facilities charge per bag - so you may wish to squash everything (hand luggage ski bags, boot bags etc) into as few bags as possible wink .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
While the official check-in at your apartment might not be till 4pm, you might well be able to leave a few bags there earlier. I'd try that before going for the left luggage. Doesn't harm to ask at least, and it's never been a problem for me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jellybabe,
IMHO its not worth it for the extra day.
Done various flavours including night party train thing, standard and first class Eurostar overnight - none are that great.
Much more pleasant to take a first class Eurostar during the day, chill out and enjoy the scenery as you get closer to the alps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stuarth, Surely doing 8 days skiing as opposed to 6 is a 33% better deal and IMHO well worth it. Image spending all day sitting on a train (awake not asleep) thinking "I could be skiing now if only I could have got to London for the night train"
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well worth it IMHO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
jellybabe, IMHO its not worth it for the extra day
Shocked Shocked Shocked

To echo the views of johnE and altis, how on earth is it 'not worth it'? What would make it worth it stuarth? A waiting red carpet, limo transfer and concierge to carry your luggage and help you slip into your ski boots?

Each to their own (as ever) but there are lots on here who like to squeeze in as much skiing as possible and can't understand why anyone would possibly baulk at the possibility of two extra days on the slopes Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth, well worth it if holiday time and costs are a limiting factor. You get 2 days skiing for zero extra days holiday, and for the additional cost of 2 day ski pass. Most 'worth it' days skiing you'll ever have by that way of thinking.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict,
Its nothing to do with me not liking to go skiing for an extra day or two (look left at the location bit!! rolling eyes ), I thought myself, having done it a few times, its not worth it because:
- It is a big hassle - rush out of work, get to Eurostar (surely the point of the Eurostar is to be less hassle)
- Sleeping on the Eurostar even in first class is not that easy, particularly when you get to the windy bits - and I'm an exceptionally talented sleeper! wink
- You get to Bourg/Moutiers when it is pretty cold, dark and dreary, have to then get to said resort when it is pretty chilly, and hope someone is awake to let you stash your luggage
- It's not really 2 days more, more like 1 1/2 as you still have to get back to the station by the early evening.
- Hanging around the station in the evening is not great

Skiing in Tignes isn't that great anyway Twisted Evil wink , so IMHO better to treat it as a holiday and chill out a bit rather than rush around. Also pointing out the daytime Eurostar is quite nice.
On the plus side, Saturdays are much less of a gong show.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stuarth wrote:
jellybabe,
IMHO its not worth it for the extra day.
Done various flavours including night party train thing, standard and first class Eurostar overnight - none are that great.
Much more pleasant to take a first class Eurostar during the day, chill out and enjoy the scenery as you get closer to the alps.

I could not disagree more. I had a perfect powder day in Meribel on Saturday with just me and my (pre Mrs M) girlfriend on the slopes. Obviously all the fliers hadn't arrived yet, and all the Frenchies were delayed by the snow. The lifties were so glad to see us - how often can you say that in France. All you could hear was them singing Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I suppose if whistler is on your door step, then it isn't worth the extra days, and your not wrong in that it isn't the most comfortable sleep even in standard premier, and then when you get to bourg the luggage office is closed! We had a couple of hours to kill before our chalet pick up.

Is it worth it YES, we where on the slopes (Peisey) by 11 and left at 4 on the last day, the great thing is is that you get two days on the slopes when they aren't busy as its change over day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know this has been discussed before on a much older thread, but what's the collective wisdom on the pros and cons of the overnight couchette service from Paris compared with the upright seats offered by Eurostar? We'll be heading down to the area with three teenage lads who are limited by half term but desperate to ski as long as possible, and I thought the Paris option might give us a better night's sleep. Our chalet hosts are happy to pick up / drop off in Bourg St Maurice and look after our luggage, so we won't suffer from some of the disadvantages discussed above.
snow conditions
Jonny Jones, I've not done the upright Eurostar; sounds absolutely grim, might as well go by coach for half the price. But I have done the couchette from Paris - it was good. On the outward trip we were in a 6 berth with 4 young Italian lads who wanted to get their heads down and sleep. On the return trip I was on my own as OH had been whisked home by insurance company to deal with half our roof being blown off in a freak tornado. I had an entire 6 berth to myself. It's incomparably more comfortable than sitting up, though luggage space is limited - not a good option for someone who can't travel without half their wardrobe. I shared my berth with my skis and a rucksack on the way out, but on the way back my skis had a berth each. Local bus from Aime to Plagne 1800, for very cheap, welcoming staff in chalet who made us breakfast, on the slopes all day on that nice quiet Saturday.
snow report
Done the Snowtrain from Paris with the 6-berth cabins. Got a bearable night's sleep every time. Worst problem was getting the window opening just right so everybody was comfortable. Somehow, it was never possible to adjust the heating.

I've never done the Eurostar direct but folks commonly complain that it's difficult to doze.
latest report
Quote:

Somehow, it was never possible to adjust the heating.

You need a big bottle of water to keep up on your bunk; and a strong bladder. I had one, in those days.... wink
ski holidays
pam w, your comment about luggage reminds me of a similar problem in my interailing days. I'd thought to maybe ship my skis out in advance and that's looking increasingly like the smart thing to do.
ski holidays
I have done the eurostar,chair, overnight several times. Live out in the sticks and find the trip no worse and often a lot better than the air alternative and a lot more reliable. If air usually have to get up about 3am, drive, park, wait, fly (often eventually), wait, transfer. With train is go to my local station, train, underground, wait, train, bus to resort. Book the bus in advance. Plenty of resorts to chose from. Tend to go standard premier and book a single seat. SP tends to be quieter. Taken a punt on my rehab and booked trains for first hol. About £200 return. Latest ever been is 20 mins. Usually ski all day and then early to bed.
Luggage provision not great. Tip is to use the straps of your ski bag to attach vertically it to the luggage rack by the door. Wait for the first bus to Tignes or the other resorts is about 20-30mins.
On the way back. Last bus down after full days skiing. Food near train station. Then about another hour's wait before train opens up. Quieter on way back. Into London just after 7am. 8am train home. 1030 at home having a cup of tea.
Travelling is not great whichever way you do it. But for my circumstances and given the skiing benefits train overnight is easily
the best choice.

Been in the day one but have to get to London the night before and that adds the expense of an hotel. In my experience its as tiring as the night option.

Tried the old couchette service a few times and found it no more restful than the chair. The chairs in SP recline somewhat. One moan about the chairs is that are designed for tall people.
ski holidays
Alternative suggestion :

There are big left-luggage lockers at the train station in Bourg. Get off the train ready to ski, leave your luggage in the lockers at the station, get the funicular up to Les Arcs, ski Les Arcs for the day, funi back down, bus to Tignes at tea-time.

Do the same on the day you leave.
latest report
Not a bad idea!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy