Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting second hand boots fitted?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, so I have been skiing twice now (and a few times at hemel snow centre) and have decided to get my own boots as I will be going at least 1 week (probably 2) a year. However, as I am a student, I have a limited budget so I was wondering if you can buy a pair of boots second hand and then have them fitted by a boot fitter. I know some boots have custom moulds so can you just buy the inner bit to fit the second hand shell? My budget is about £150, is this enough to get a decent pair of boots or should I save a bit more?

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
armincerf, you can get new boots for less than that. Decathlon boot prices start at about £80 IIRC or you may find some older stock at a discount at other retailers. Assuming you don't have problem feet which need lots of expensive adjustments that is.

Having said that I sold some part-used boots secondhand and the buyer was very pleased with them (and I was equally pleased to be rid of them).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply! I will have to find a decathlon and try some boots out then Smile
One more question, how much do you think it would cost to hire skis in les arcs for 7 days? I'm hoping to try a few different models as I like to spend a day or two at the park, and then venture off piste.

Thanks for your help
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know how cheeky it is or if it's possible but someone reputable in the boot fitting world may be able to offer you a service where they look at Your skiing and even more importantly Your feet and tell you what size shell to get and what make and model of boot will fit your particular feet. I got by in either borrow or my own boots for many a year but the first time in a properly fitted (as in suits my feet and skiing) boot was a revelation. You could well get away with a pair of boot that are the right size and roughly the right shape to fit but there is nothing more satisfying than a pair of boots that fit well. Not just comfort, but control.

Might be worth asking, but I am sure someone will be along soon to give further advice. Boots can last a fair while, so spending the money correctly in the first place is not money lost IMHO...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of the major retailers will probly be shedding their 2012-13 season stock now, given the new stuff is likely being put on display about now for this coming season, Snow & Rock have discounts on last years stock now. So it wouldn't hurt to shop around before you buy 2nd hand. You'll also get measured n fitted to a fashion.

I cant help but wonder who taught you to ski?
Quote:
so I have been skiing twice now (and a few times at hemel snow centre)......
..... I like to spend a day or two at the park, and then venture off piste

Sounds like impressive progress Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
franzClammer wrote:
.....I cant help but wonder who taught you to ski?
Quote:
so I have been skiing twice now (and a few times at hemel snow centre)......
..... I like to spend a day or two at the park, and then venture off piste

Sounds like impressive progress Smile

That's what I thought.

Two weeks skiing & you're in the park & off piste Shocked.

I'd be careful or you'll soon be changing your username to arminsling wink

Here's a useful motto for the rest of your life: buy once buy right.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
folks get with it the OP is a Student so

Park - means the swings and the slides
Off Piste - means the bar

Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
armincerf, I would expect any bootfitter to be quite happy to charge you to re-fit any boots.

However... I would expect your biggest problem would be buying 2nd hand boots whose shells actually fitted your feet properly in the first place. A boot fitter can only work with what she's given, and if the shells don't work, little can be done.

Looking at Decathlon, the £80 boots look decidedly like £80 worth. Too soft, and no guarantee they'll fit.

I hate to suggest this, but maybe renting for a few more holidays is a better idea? Although... if you're in the fridge and doing 2 weeks a year... You can probbaly find something for £150. Be aware though that a fitter will charge you for the fitting, I mean, they have to eat too, right?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Folks - we can't let the OP and our new friend fC get together - there might be carnage Toofy Grin Only pulling legs both Very Happy Well to SH armincerf,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edge and Wax sale has decent boots under £150 in their sale http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/330/mens_sale_ski_boots.aspx and my daughter's boyfriend got a reasonable pair for £80 from absolute snow last year. Also cheaper end is skiwear4less. You might have to send them back if you can not call in to try them on and they are the wrong size.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
armincerf, If you hire skis it really doesn't cost much more to hire boots, so if you've not had trouble with fit in the past, and are (undertandably) reluctant to spend enough to get properly fitted boots now, I'd agree with the advice to continue to hire. It would take years and years of hiring to spend as much as even a cheap pair of boots - PLUS you'll have to pay to cart the damned things around.

for hire costs look up skimium.com and choose your resort etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
armincerf, Looking at this again, I would agree with pam w, except I have tried the standard boots at Hemel and they really were not good. However, if you do not have problems with them they are effectively free so hire may be your best option for another year or more, rather then buying now and having to trade up.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did what I think a lot of people do, that is £25 boots off eBay, collected and tried on & some new Superfeet insoles
I will at some point travel to a boot fitter, but for now they do fine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beequin, yes, I do agree, the boots at Hemel are awful.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, as are the ones at Braehead.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy