Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Courses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey There,

Im looking to do some off piste snowboard courses and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Ideally i would like it to cover the technique for riding deep powder but also how to use different avi/safety equipment and how to recognise potentialy dangerour terains/ conditions etc.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look here http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/activities/winter/snowboarding/off-piste-snowboard/summary
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
These guys are well regarded:

http://www.mcnabsnowboarding.com/courses/?type=S
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the links
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Recommendation for Nicolas Glize out of Val D'isere. Friends did a session with him last season and are convinced enough to go again and pre-book with him.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snow_badger, I've done two weeks with UCPA (booked through Action Outdoors), one off-piste snowboarding course in ValT and another Off-Piste week in Serre Chevalier and I'm booked to go back again Jan 2014. I can highly recomend them - amazing value. If I had unlimited money, I would book McNab probably. However I think you would be lucky to get a week in at under £2k with Mcnab (course £1k then you need to pay for everything else!) where as you can do a week at UCPA for £1k. The tuition has been good, the groups fun and instructors have good english. Accomodation is nice as long as you are OK sharing. Food is amazing. General atmosphere is great. I have travelled on my own both times and people were friendly to me.

You spend half a day on the use of avi equipment and doing practice searches. There is an avi saftey talk in the evening and the instructor points stuff out obviously as you go along.

In terms of riding technique, if you haven't got loads of deep powder it will be hard to get you riding in it wink but for example on my last trip we did instruction sessions on steep, deep and tight in the trees in amoungst just riding around. Obviously on the harder sections the instructor is more ocncerned with keeping the group safe rather than watching your technique, but there is enough instruction as well as guiding I found.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks you for the info. Is there level that I should be with my riding before going on one of these courses ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My friends who did Nicks course are both competant ridgers but I don't think either would consider themselves as Experts. Fitness on the other hand is a very useful thing to have as you will be hiking through heavy snow into areas, so be honest with whoever you choose as your instructor about your capabilities as a snowboarder and work on your fitness, and you'll be fine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow_badger, yes you need to be a fairly good rider but UCPA offer some courses suited to level 4 and 5 (advanced and expert), and some suited to level 5 (expert) with previous off-piste experience. Check out the UCPA Snow Off Piste courses rather than UCPA Snow Off Piste - High Mountain for example.

Level 4 is basically being a competent piste rider, maybe some attempts to ride in powder and OK to deal with steeper, icy pistes or in a bit of crud.

I second Richard_Sideways in saying you need to be reasonably fit. You may have hikes to the start or hikes out. If you fall in an inconveneinet place you may have a long way to get out of deep pow which is really energy sapping. You might also have long traverses and stong legs are an advantage, as is being able to ride switch.

There was one guy on my course last year who was a bit poo-poo. He was unfit which was the major problem - he fell at the base of the slope, before the flat run out if there was one EVERY BL00DY TIME which meant he had a long way to walk, he got tired, because he was tired he fell more, had to walk more, got more tired etc. Then when we stopped he would light up a fag. Cos that is really going to help.... I don't think he EVER made one of the long trverses without falling either. I had to do some realativly agressive 'I'm going first after the instructor' shot-guns as it was a pain to get stuck behind him.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
"Grouping" is key with any deep powder stuff - some people just never get it, and you don't want to be riding with them if you're a bit more athletic. On the plus side you'll find few smokers or unfit people in the back country, in my experience.

It all depends what you want. I think cat boarding (in which I have some commercial interest) is a great way to learn quickly, because you get to ride a large amount of untracked powder and with a couple of guides who're also qualified instructors. Most people pick it up pretty quickly.

If you there is a cigarette addict in your group, then he can sit out a few runs in the cat (but he can't smoke there, or within breathing distance of anyone else of course).

You'll be provided with all the safety gear and training on how to use it, and they'll let you dig a snow pit or two if you're really keen. You won't get experience in crud, ice, or any of that stuff though; it's just untracked powder.

Beginners who haven't worked out how to turn properly on piste will find that what they're doing falls apart in powder. You need to be able to basically ride to have fun.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blue tomato do courses in Obertauern for this.

They are dead cheap too and include avi training.

check them out at http://snowboardschule.blue-tomato.com/en/Home.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I will throw-in a blatant self-promo here: http://www.whiteroomchalet.com/win_backcountry_weeks.htm
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd, that looks good. I'll keep that in mind for 2015 (already booked for 2014).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, I couldn't get any info re dates and prices up from blue tomato on the website. Does it work for you?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy