Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The run you didn't expect to make it to the bottom of

Poster: A snowHead
Someone on another thread mentioned finding a 'run with surprises' like a black with a surface of marbles that they once skied. At all times it will be down to the run, the snow conditions, the weather, your own experience with the sport when you did it and possibly the company you were with when you chose to do it wink and are probably runs that you have skied comfortably at other times, but are there any runs that made you think "I can't have been sane to have gone for it in the first place". I have certainly done a couple of runs that will stick in my memory for a long time as 'lady luck was on my side that day'. My often reported trip down col de l'Auzdin (VT) in the white out fog, and possibly the day earlier in my ski career when we nearly got blown off of a wind slick Lac Blanc also in VT. Both of which I have also skied and had fun on at other times!

I wondered do all skiers have their own worst runs so far, and would you like to share?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 2-04-14 12:47; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Late season in Davos about 2002 or 2003, taking one of the reds down to Schifer all was well until we hit a section in the trees which was completely devoid of snow - nothing left but solid clear ice moguls. Hells teeth it was hard going, but the 3 of us got down. It was at the bottom of that when I was waiting for the others that I lost my footing on the board and went down like a sack of spuds, and stoved in a 2" section of the helmet I was wearing...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not a marked run but I was once led along a narrow arête heading towards a nice little couloir. At one point the arête was so narrow that both the tips and tails of my skis were hanging in mid-air, with very steep slopes either side, and we had to side-slip down as the ridge itself was too steep for a traverse line. A fall at that point would have been very serious. Have to say I was genuinely frightened for a few minutes. I can't think of a marked run where that level of fear would be justified.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The warm-up run on day 1 of rob@rar's coaching in Meribel.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy, Laughing Yeah, that was a big one!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This maybe,

there was a window between 9.45 and 10.15 where the sun hit the slope unfreezing the snow. We missed it by a few minutes and by then the snow had refrozen.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last Winter in the Shropshire Hills I had a couple of descents which were very unpleasant & difficult due to the snow conditions. Not quite as steep as davidof's, but seemed like a good idea at the time..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My first ever french black, Mariel goetschel in VT. Got to the bottom and thanked whatever god it was that helped me, now I virtually straight line it. However, le face in val d'Isere still gets me everytime and I thank every god there is that helps me get down. I know I will never do that one with anything but fear and respect never mind straight line it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
This maybe,

there was a window between 9.45 and 10.15 where the sun hit the slope unfreezing the snow. We missed it by a few minutes and by then the snow had refrozen.

David you seem to have put the picture on sideways by mistake. Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blahblahblah, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Swiss Wall, about 25 years ago, thanks to an intrepid friend. It was the first black I ever did, and I thought they were all like that.

(I never doubted I'd get down, just whether it would be on skis or in a sledge.)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A black run at Fernie in Jan. Ordinarily this would have been a cinch. But that day it was pouring rain (there were lakes at the bottom in the village square that were being pumped out) . Up top was nice snow. Down bottom was rained on totally, but this stretch of black was in the mid zone. It had obviously had around 15 cm of snow overnight, but this then got rained on in the day and it was like slightly soft cement. It was chopped and heavily moguled and like most runs here, never ever groomed. it was like skiing chopped concrete and the only run I have ever skied when I have got to the bottom grateful to still have both knees.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I foolishly followed a young Austrian couple a week last Saturday after chatting to them on the chairlift. The weather was warm and sunny and the snow was wet and heavy. Ended up on a black run with very little snow cover and at one point literally had to lift one ski as the strip of snow was only ski width to get to a larger patch of snow where we could turn. The piste was actually closed but not roped off (doh, hadn't spotted the closed sign). The following day it snowed heavily so I went back and skied it properly (or at least as properly as someone of my abilities is able to!)...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No doubt tame compared to everybody else, but this was mine, my second ever black run last year:

Tignes - Top of Aiguille Percee, January 2013 from Jason Williams
http://vimeo.com/58299186

(the video just shows the top bit because I accidentally turned the camera off - I did make it down with a bit of bouncing Very Happy)
latest report
finestgreen wrote:
(the video just shows the top bit because I accidentally turned the camera off

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
about 1991 - 5th week on skis, cousin of my mate decided it was a good idea to take us down a couloir from GM down towards the Argentiere glacier. Turned out to be thin snow cover and I remember side-stepping down a patch of ice not much wider than the length of my skis above a nice long run out onto rocks.

We decided we could do without his "guiding" after that.
snow conditions
Le Tunnel in Alpe d'Huez, no contest. Except that getting to the bottom wasn't the problem - the descent was remarkably quick, pity I wasn't on my skis at the time. rolling eyes
latest report
[quote="blahblahblah"]
davidof wrote:

David you seem to have put the picture on sideways by mistake. Laughing Laughing

Actually I've thought of something worse, the blue, or green run to la Daille at 5pm on a January day.
ski holidays
Pierre a ric at home time.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

Actually I've thought of something worse, the blue, or green run to la Daille at 5pm on a January day.

The most scared I've been on skis was on the green into les deux alpes shortly after pano bar kicking out time during a week that loads of British university ski clubs were in town. Didn't make that mistake twice.
snow conditions
swiftoid, tis a horrow show pretty much any time. Never mind when full of peed up students.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

Santons - the world's worst ski run.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Pierre a ric at home time.

Nearly:

Christmas just gone, came down from the top of GM with a friend on his board, along the edge of the Argentierre glacier and back onto the track to Lognan (first proper OP run since breaking my leg).

Sensibly declined the Hotel Variante, as I was still building up the leg and it was aching at the end of the day.

Then a short distance down the track stupidly agreed to follow him on a shortcut to the Pierre a Ric that he had been using all last season.

Couple of nice turns and then basically ran into a bush, said bush (that would have been buried in the snow depths of the previous year, but was at least 2 metres high) then proceeded to be a bush for the next mile or ten. About 90mins later as we continued to commando through the shrubbery (throwing skis ahead and then wading/scrambling through) the wife rang me from the carpark to bollock me (but gave me a pass when she heard my voice).

I guess I always knew we'ld get down, eventually, but it was getting dark (if not cold with the exertion) and I did worry about the damage our wives were going to do to us.
snow report
I can only think of one run I haven't finished (unless being in the body bag) counts
snow report
Sometimes you wonder if you'll ever get down and end up finishing a bit late!

And some things are a lot scarier than they appear and you wonder if you're going to get down sooner than you expected:

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 3-04-14 14:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
finestgreen wrote:
No doubt tame compared to everybody else, but this was mine, my second ever black run last year:

(the video just shows the top bit because I accidentally turned the camera off - I did make it down with a bit of bouncing Very Happy)

Looks like one of the paths I was on in jan! I take it you went left?
ski holidays
Levi215 wrote:
finestgreen wrote:

Looks like one of the paths I was on in jan! I take it you went left?

Yeah, straight(ish) downhill after the video finished
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks superb!
snow conditions
altis, I can see where things are going wrong...the skis are supposed to be clipped onto the ski boots! I've found I'm much quicker that way Toofy Grin
ski holidays
8th day on skis I decided to try this.

Interesting way to learn to ski bumps. Wasn't scary.....just incredibly hard work. If you fell over you just parked against the back of the next bump.

finestgreen, I hate tracks like that. I find the easiest way is to drop over the edge and go the steep way.....down, no problem.....across - Argh, I'm going to fall over the edge Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Thornyhill, That is just the sort of slope that I worry about encountering in a strange resort with no other options.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Thornyhill, That is just the sort of slope that I worry about encountering in a strange resort with no other options.

But there's all those bumps to catch your fall! What could go wrong? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
finestgreen wrote:
Exactly right. It might be tiring, and will get tedious picking your way down two or three turns at a time, but no particular risk other than not enjoying it too much.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
finestgreen wrote:
Exactly right. It might be tiring, and will get tedious picking your way down two or three turns at a time, but no particular risk other than not enjoying it too much.
+1 Now if it were very steep and icy as well, that would be a different matter. That was the problem on the Tunnel - bounced off the first bump and a lot of others on the way down. Fast. rolling eyes
snow report
Megamum wrote:

Believe me, you'd find you could manage to ski bumps like that all afternoon if you had to! Madeye-Smiley Laughing
snow conditions
But I'll be OK in the future - a bumps clinic at Hemel is imminent. Little Angel
ski holidays
So you don't think I'd crash and burn? I 'get' the theory of them, and can even see the logic that if you hit them right you can find a slope on each on that is no worse than a green or blue, but I think I'd worry about losing control, picking up too much speed and hitting the next one too fast to control myself and probably unseating myself by hitting it too hard.

Pedantica, I think I'll give 'the tunnel' a miss if I ever get to that resort. It's been good when folks have put where their 'memorable for all the wrong reasons' runs have been - I've had an interesting few minutes looking them up and viewing online videos on UTube. The Swiss wall sounds worth avoiding too!!!
latest report
Megamum, the trick is to fall over after every three bumps, thereby not building up any speed.
snow report
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing That made me laugh out loud!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy