Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I get through the dark UK winter like a normal person?

Poster: A snowHead
Hmm. Anyone got suggestions for a long weekend skiing in say December?

Any good operators that offer them as opposed to a week?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try http://www.skiweekends.com they specialize in long weekends.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has anyone mentioned Lemsip yet?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Lizzard wrote:
Belle de Neige, they are riding bikes in the garage, watching movies, slavering over pictures of snow, living from one ski trip to the next and telling themselves they 'can't' do what they'd really like to do. GET OUT NOW!!

Whereas those who are alpine residents are regular founts of unmitigated joy and endless stoke

You have never heard me say I dislike my life, would swap it for another, or need alcohol/ski movies/a countdown to my next holiday to get through any part of it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thought I would have a break from the real world, handed my notice in yesterday and am moving to Chamonix in November, just got to count down the days until I fly out now...

I've enjoy reading Dave Searle and Ben Briggs blogs http://davesearle.me/skiing/ http://ben-briggs.com/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, Yes it is the real me - I've been hibernating but now I'm back in the capacity of narky ex-seasonnaire advisory to the un-initiated! Plenty more rants to be had in the coming months Smile

clarky999, Loving your blog - I shall be keeping my eye on that but surely you are not sincerely suggesting I move to Scotland are you? Are you mad?

Thankfully looks like it's not going to be an entire winter in the UK. Heading here http://gitelebelvedere.co.uk/ for a couple of weeks - great place if you're skint and not bothered about not having a spa and / or butler.

livetoski, that video makes me come in my pants a little bit. I think I love you. I know that run well. Try skiing it to this next time:
http://youtube.com/v/XUjAtYQkFm8

Thanks for all your suggestions etc... only 3 lovely months of rain to go until I escape!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh yes, and Lizzard, I always enjoy your jaunty pessimism! How goes life in...les deux is it?

Let's just say the job is not a long term project. I just thought I should get some of those skill things - it's a short term means to a long term mountain-based end!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Belle de Neige, actually I'm up a hill in southern Germany at the moment, but I will be in Alpe d'Huez this winter, just for a change. And Scotland, I will have you know, is by far the only part of the UK worth living in. You cheeky bint. Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 13-09-13 16:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard wrote:
Belle de Neige, I will have you now, is by far the only part of the UK worth living in. You cheeky bint. Laughing

Bit forward isn't it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eek. Best change that, she might stalk me. Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
Eek. Best change that, she might stalk me. Laughing

Well she does need something to do for the winter
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski, ...this gets my vote for the most authentic and smile-making film of 2013 (and I've seen a lot of pro and semi pro footage) ... this is a seriously good film (love the shadow showing body dynamics), it's great that the Britain soundtrack was what you were listening to at the time...really top stuff and great 'head prep' for the coming period of fluffy whiteness (we all live in hope...).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Belle de Neige, ha, thanks - should probably get around to to doing something with that again, I haven't updated it for about a year!

But yeah, Scotland's one of the few places in the UK I'd consider living in (Dartmoor, Peak District and parts of Wales are the only others)!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, Great evocative video Tim, thanks for sharing, looks like you're quite attached to your Flyswatters? Yes I'm too suffering the dark wet hiatus between climbing sun kissed rock and skiing cold fluffy powder. Booked three weeks so far, including new Year at Gite Le Bevedere (when are you there Belle de Neige?) and probably flex some plastic for a fourth....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm moving to Aberdeen on the basis it's about 2 hours to snow...

Actually it's more because of the job and that stuff, being able to go skiing relatively easy is just an added bonus.

I will admit to watching ski movies to make me feel better when it's miserable and dark out, but there's plenty of reasons I only did one season.
ski holidays
bobmcstuff, Aberdeen's a fun place to be (I went to uni there)
ski holidays
Yeah I've been commuting up there during the weeks for the last 10 months, I quite like the place. Loads of grads up there at the moment too so it's quite a good social life too. Looking forwards to not having to get up crazy early on monday mornings... And being able to go for Friday beers properly!
snow report
You could always buy a ESF ski jacket and mince around your village/town/allotment like you own the place, therefore elavating your mind above and beyond the mundane snowline of life. (pm me for offer)
ski holidays
On the rocks, You're going to Gite La B as well? Do you know the chap who owns it now? Do I know you? Hmmmmmm.... small world. I too shall be there on New Year. Or at least my doppleganger will.... Smile

Lizzard, I knew you wanted me.
ski holidays
6 degrees this morning. Is it officially winter now?
latest report
Belle de Neige, I've been to Gite La B lots of times over recent years. Last Christmas the new owners who bought it from Michiel were taking over with Ben their son running the place. (where you there then?) At first I missed the self catering kitchen but the breakfast is good and evening set meal not too bad value, I sometimes eat out with friends who stay in the area or at the Rusticana anyway. The place still hasn't lost it's laidback atmosphere, and Ben and his team are great and the plumbing is a lot better now. However the colourful long term residents are no longer around (for better or worse). Not sure if I've met you.... Smile
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
livetoski, nice, a very relaxing watch.

To the OP.....the Lake Geneva area has plenty of opportunities to live close to the mountains and live a normal (well, expat) life the rest of the time.

Isn't it REALLY REALLY expensive to live near Lake Geneva (lac Léman). More expensive than living in London??
latest report
d/p
snow report
On the rocks, Yes I've heard a lot about the colourful residents! It's a great place with a lot of potential I think...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy