Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smith I/OS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know that our eyes are all different and thus lens choice is subjective but I'm looking for some new goggles and considering the Smith I/OS.

As ever the choice of lens is the difficult one, most of the deals I can find come with the Ignitor Mirror and Sensor Mirror, in anyones experience are these a good set to have, but would you consider a third lens as well? I really suffer in bluebird conditions with any goggles I've used, (Oakley, Scott), to the extent that I use sunglasses. Not a problem persay as I do enjoy skiing without my helmet (feels nicer sometimes) but I'd like the option of goggles as well.

Conversely, despite the fact that this would suggest my eyes let in too much light, in flat/stormy/poor conditions I struggled with vision the last few times, does the Sensor Mirror really let in more light than say a yellow tint?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find Ignitor Mirror to be an exellent all round lens - might not be the best in really really bright or flat conditions but I use them for everything with no complaints
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know what mine came with and it's not at all clear from the website, one lens is red/gold mirror and worked in the brightest of conditions, one is blue/red mirror and was excellent even in crap light when I often suffer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My I/O goggles came with a red sol-x mirror, which was excellent on bright sunny April days, and the red sensor mirror, which was better than I had expected on flat light days and the one I used on cloudy days, although I've yet to try it on a really bad visibility day.

According to the smith website, the green and gold sol-x lenses let in even less light on bright days. I found the red was more than adequate for me though.

On a side note, they integrate really well with Smith helmets and I have never had any issues with steaming up as the vents align and the top is a snug fit to the helmet rim. A friend who had a pair of oakleys suffered so much he wore sunglasses instead.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info.

@Whitters - any helmet in particular or all of the range?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
macgyver, I have the Smith Vantage helmet, but I expect most are the same, it is a selling point of the helmets so it is normally stated in the accompanying blurb
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno wrote:
I find Ignitor Mirror to be an exellent all round lens - might not be the best in really really bright or flat conditions but I use them for everything with no complaints

+1 for this, absolutely superb all round.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
macgyver wrote:
I know that our eyes are all different and thus lens choice is subjective but I'm looking for some new goggles and considering the Smith I/OS.

As ever the choice of lens is the difficult one, most of the deals I can find come with the Ignitor Mirror and Sensor Mirror, in anyones experience are these a good set to have, but would you consider a third lens as well? I really suffer in bluebird conditions with any goggles I've used, (Oakley, Scott), to the extent that I use sunglasses. Not a problem persay as I do enjoy skiing without my helmet (feels nicer sometimes) but I'd like the option of goggles as well.

Conversely, despite the fact that this would suggest my eyes let in too much light, in flat/stormy/poor conditions I struggled with vision the last few times, does the Sensor Mirror really let in more light than say a yellow tint?

My I/O's came with the same lenses both work well, though the sensor mirror got very little use as the ignitor worked well enough in poor light for me.

I suffer with really painful headaches in bright light and bought the Green Sol-X lens to supplement the lenses that came with the goggles, used it for pretty much 90% of the season.

Nick
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got the green sol-x mirror lens. It really cuts out the glare on a sunny day, but if the sun goes away or the clouds roll in during the day, it's a bit of a struggle to make everything out since the lens is so dark. I agree with springbok45 and Arno that the ignitor mirror is really good in poor light, and indeed on a normal sunny-ish day as well. Its the lens I use most of the time tbh.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again all.

Thought of one more question. I've found a 2013 model for £100, but will they work with 2014 lenses? It wouldn't surprise me if the manufacturers forced people to upgrade models..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
macgyver, Should do, my I/O are an 09/10 model bought last year, I thought similar because I couldn't get the first Sol X lens i bought to fit turned out it was an I/OS lens Embarassed the nice guys at the Ultrasport (UK distributor) swapped it for the correct one for just the cost of postage though which savedme a few quid.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah right sounds good to me. Think I'll go ahead and purchase then Smile.

One final question I guess - does anyone know an "authorised" UK retailer? Want to make sure I get the warranty.

@springbok where did you get yours (quick google didn't come up with anything)?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
macgyver, Ebay, asogear in canada
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They seem absurdly cheap..

Ideally need to find somewhere to try them on anyway.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
macgyver, Snowtrax in dorset have them i think, if thats any help
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy