Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

courses available near London

Poster: A snowHead
don't know if anyone can help here... i'm a CSIA2 instructor and have been teaching skiing abroad for early 20 years. I've worked quite a lot for interski but this year they have changed the rules and want everyone to have done some kind of refresher in the past 3 years. Obviously going to Canada, or even Andorra to do a pdp is prohibitively expensive, even if they did have a course running when you actually needed it.

so.. does anyone know what (if any) courses (run by some kind of recognised national body) might be available on any of the ski centres around London before December?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jacksun, Have a look on the BASI website for refreshers --- then give them a ring..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for the suggestion ski - i did contact BASI but they said i would need to convert my CSIA2 to BASI level 1 and do their full level-2 course... rolling eyes

i kind of thought they might say that.. wondered what other non-BASI working for interski might be doing about this..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doesn't really help with your question, but I'm amazed that this has only really started to be a problem for you now. Do CSIA let you keep your qualification without refreshing it for 20 years? Or is it just Interski that previously would take people whose qualifications had lapsed. I had assumed that other national bodies were like BASI and SSE in requiring you to revalidate every couple of years, and that Interski would need a current qualification for their insurance to be valid if nothing else.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kieranm, CSIA requires you to update with a PDP every 3 years but not attending one does not cause you to lose your licence. Unless things have changed with BASI it was extremely rare for a member to have their licence withdrawn because of not meeting standards and yet I've seen some very questionable stuff going on. Refreshers I've attended have been just that. Working instructors in a 'ski' country like Canada are generally training on a weekly basis with top instructors and are updating their knowledge from that. Any decent instructor is constantly keeping up to date with information. A cynical view might just be that a refresher is another way of squeezing a bit more money out of members.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ade57 wrote:
A cynical view might just be that a refresher is another way of squeezing a bit more money out of members.
Could be. Alternatively, it is a requirement of the ISIA for approved qualifications at their various levels to contain an element of CPD. I'd like to see BASI offer a wider range of refresher courses, which might have a particular theme (such as teaching kids, latest thinking in coaching, etc) as well as a general update.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Don't you need to do a coaching refresher as well as an instructing one ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think BASI is in a slightly different position to CSIA or the other organisations with bases in countries with skiing facilities. They are always effectively outsiders looking for somewhere to practise. They do a great job and I have the utmost respect for them though I do think they are very expensive to train with, often unnecessarily so.

The snowschool I worked in in Canada was providing training ongoing and addressing issues like teaching kids, learning difficulties etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jacksun, Have you looked into registering with Snowsport England then doing a refresher with them ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i have ris, but the timing of their membership year, and also the relevant course is wrong for this season.

i do agree in principle that instructors should have some form of refresher, but up to now no-one that i've worked for has insisted on it. I can see this being a problem for CSIA, NZIA, PSIA members etc if they are based in the UK and only working for companies like interski..
It might even result in more people going to BASI to get their qualifications.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That could well be the purpose don't you think?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i wasn't about to say that wink

and i believe, but don't quote me on it, that it costs interski more to employ non-Basi than Basi instructors..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
rob@rar, Don't you need to do a coaching refresher as well as an instructing one ?
I'm not sure as BASI has, again, changed the structure of the coaching awards. I'll ask this weekend at the SSE conference (I assume that someone like Ross Green will be there?)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I don't think the coaching courses have changed in that respect, you always needed to refresh them to keep them valid, one thing that might catch people out would be if you did L1 coach then waited more than three years to do L2 Coach for ISTD.

I will be at the conference too, though not sure yet whether it will be for both days. The conference might have counted as a refresher for jacksun but I think it is full.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You can now do the CSIA PDP online

http://snowpro.com/index.php/en/membership/recall-year

Don't shoot the messenger Wink
snow report
you've been able to do that for ages.. but the online version isn't acceptable with interski, and possibly others..
snow report
I think the words you were looking for were :

"thank you, but Interski requires a prospective employee to have completed a practical as well as theoretical PDP within the past 3 seasons".
latest report
Mike Pow That sums it up.
ski holidays
jacksun,
Quote:

thank you, but Interski requires a prospective employee to have completed a practical as well as theoretical PDP within the past 3 seasons

Sounds like (for example) an SSE L1 would do you....or -- can you telemark ? BASI L1 running at Hilllend -- only one day of work needed --- but you do have to get to Edinburgh....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy