Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Contamines....kids attached, advice appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been before, but only for a day. Didnt even notice where the village was. So, really, what id like to know is........where should i stay with 2 kids of 9&6?? Village or closer to the lifts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stay at Hameaux du Ley unless you want to use the navette every day .All the facilities you require are there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Stay at Hameaux du Ley unless you want to use the navette every day .All the facilities you require are there.

Are you driving / hiring a car or getting a transfer?

Reason I ask is that there is good car parking near the lifts (particularly the Gorge). We mostly drive to the lifts and occasionally get the bus. If you have a car then I think the village is definitely nicer otherwise it comes down to your feelings about ski buses.
@brock, is right though, Hameaux du Lay has everything you NEED but perhaps not all that you want (range of food shopping and restaurants). In normal shoes it is only 15mins walk to the village though. For reasons related to bad planning on my part I ended up walking back from the Lay bubble to the village in my ski (touring) boots and with skis on my back - took 20 mins.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did Les Contamines for 3 years with kids all under 10 at the time. We had a car but always stayed in the village. The best advise I can give u is to hire a ski locker above the gondola in the mountain. It will change your life . Would advise phoning ahead and reserving one before your trip.
It may mean not skiing down to the road , but it is a fairly boring traverse down anyway.
Parking facilities by the lift are good and as long as you get there at a reasonable time u will get a parking .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

best advise I can give u is to hire a ski locker above the gondola in the mountain

good tip although I think trying to get one of the heated ones at the ski shop across the road from the gondola is even better (no problem if you are hiring some gear from them, or in quiet weeks, best book in advance)

Quote:

It may mean not skiing down to the road , but it is a fairly boring traverse down anyway.

I rather like it - it is a widish cat track that winds its way through the trees. As you can imagine it gets busy last run down so best avoided if you strongly dislike crowded pistes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I do have a car as ill be driving there. A high top van actually. So would it be best for the kids if we stayed in the village? Im sure they wouldnt mind a pool or a park......not sure restaurants and shops would be their thing! And which ski shop by which gondola for lockers......a really good idea.

@brock, thank you for your PM......i may pick your brains a few times in the next month.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@greggy500, That depends on your kids! When mine were young, after a day on the slopes we were lucky to get them back to the accommodation by car without them falling fast asleep. We learnt to give them a proper meal at lunch time then allow them a slice of pizza or a crepes as we finished skiing, and often changed them in the car into clothes they could sleep all night in if necessary! So accommodation by the lifts may be better in that respect. There are pros and cons either way.

At Les Contamines we stayed in the caravaneige at the bottom of the telecabine, just a few minutes walk. We only made it into the village a couple of times as there did not seem to be enough waking time to make that possible Very Happy

That being said they did like a pool to play in, especially if the weather was poor and we finished early.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

And which ski shop by which gondola for lockers......a really good idea.

This one http://www.skimium.co.uk/store/f-j-penz-90 - FJ Penz just across the road from the Lay Telecabine. If you stay in Hameaux du Lay you will likely walk past the shop to get to the telecabine. It's a fairly vanilla ski hire shop but the people are nice and the heated lockers are great.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

So would it be best for the kids if we stayed in the village?

Honestly I don't think it matters. My preference is the village which is why we bought there but there are counter arguments. Personally after skiing, I'd dump the skis and boots at Penz, bundle them into the van, drive back to the village and take the kids out for crepes (and paternal beer ) at one of several options in the village.

BTW - I don't think there is a pool open in Les Contamines in the winter. Two of the hotels have outdoor pools (and there are purpose maintained swimming lakes in the parks) but these are summer only I think. There is a new indoor pool on the way into St Gervais which is about 10 mins drive from Les C village. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy