Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breckenridge/Keystone

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort: Breckenridge/ Keystone
State: Colorado

Date: 23th Jan 2016 to 29th Jan 2016
Our Party: 3 skiers, early intermediate to early advanced and 1 boarder, very advanced
Basics : Colorado, Flew via Reykyavik, 13 hours plus 2.5 hours drive from Denver. The town is about 2900m above sea level.
Lift system : open seats with one drag lift.
The terrain : Breck - 5 Peaks separated into upper & lower terrain. Lower terrain is mainly big wide groomers which are generally green, blue and single diamond (red/blue) blacks. The upper terrain is single and double blacks, with a fair amount of hike-to terrain. The blues and greens seem to be bashed regularly along with the single blacks off Falcon SuperChair. The accessible double blacks didn't seem to get much attention and were left to moguls.
If the wind blows then the upper lifts close including peak 6 leaving all groomers except for maybe the double blacks off the E-Chair, which can get a bit boring. The Falcon chair & the E chair may or may not close too which restricts it even more.
The hike-to terrain looks interesting but we didn't accept the challenge of hiking up anywhere at that altitude (Two of us were suffering with altitude sickness)

Keystone - a short drive away, perfect for a day trip. Again big wide blue groomers which actually got a bit steep in places (compared to Breck) The cat trip at the top for 10 bucks a ride was good, to the left a big wide bowl with tracks to be made by a short hike up and a long traverse. To the right after a traverse much fun to be had in the trees, take your pick and fill your boots as it were! I really liked my day there, (but that could be because it was the first day that I didn't have a splitting headache all day!)
The snow : Not really much fresh to speak of (we did see snowfall but nothing significant, just enough to keep the pistes covered in 'hero snow'... we got over 35" the following week in Vail!) but good conditions underfoot (underski?). Last day was 35mph winds at Breck which mostly closed down (see above).
Off-piste : under lift 6, imperial chair and the t-bar was unbashed - all the hike-to terrain is left au naturelle

The resort : Beck is a nice town with a resort feel. Good vistas and quite quiet with traffic. There's a big supermarket which sells everything except for decent booze and, oddly enough, tonic water, which is sold next door at the liquor store. The hire equipment we used for 2 days while Manchester decided to send the last bag over was very good, much better than I've been dished out in France.
Food : Breck Brewery good cheap food, nice beer. Gets busy on Friday.
Accommodation : Stayed in the Great Western Lodge Condos. Huge, well equiped with hottub on the balcony...I'm not joking when I say it's better than my last cottage in the UK!
Costs: Got a good deal with Ski safari. Got an Epic Local pass which (I was told) made a lot of sense & enabled us to ski more resorts if we wanted to!
Conclusion: Good resort, we all enjoyed skiing at Breck but for me I probably wouldn't choose to go back, not sure why because it's actually rather good, (maybe because the last day was too windy for the upper stuff or maybe because of the altitude sickness). But, if you love skiing groomers or are super fit and can run up mountains like a goat, you will love Breck.

There are buses that take you to Keystone but we opted for the luxury of an SUV as we were on a 2 week trip but you can probably get away with just using the buses/transfers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One of the few places I have minor issues with the altitude. Was just in Aspen-Snowmass first part of February, and strangley while hiking at 12,000 feet, had no issues. Must be in better shape this year. Glad you enjoyed Breck. Did you spend much time on the drag lift? IMO it holds the best terrain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We used the drag lift for a couple of days, & I think you are right, it gives access to some great terrain if not the best there.

The altitude sickness was a killer though!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gixxerniknik wrote:
We used the drag lift for a couple of days, & I think you are right, it gives access to some great terrain if not the best there.

The altitude sickness was a killer though!

For me it has to be the base elevation at Breck. I don't have that issue at other resorts with 12,000 plus foot summit elevations. But, yes, altitude sickness is no fun!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy