Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

a Chill 'e' wind ?

Poster: A snowHead
Built at 33 million, for sale at...............
http://www.business-sale.com/news/article/indoor-ski-slope-prepared-for-sale-37318.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I lived in Manchester for 10 years. Though I left in 2001, the Trafford Centre was built by then (near to Chill Factore) and I lived not too far away in Didsbury so I wasnt a stranger to the area. Is what I note about The Chill Factore is how difficult it is to find and how bad the road signage is to get to it. If I put the Road name in my Tom Tom it takes me to the other end of the road, no where near the Chill Factore. It really is a ball ache to find, like no other place of interest Ive ever been to. It must put off loads of casual visitors and contribute to the often ghost town like feel it has.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott, you can hardly miss it!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott, Need new specs ? The place is visible from miles away.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some one did post a link to a set of their accounts on here somewhere
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
altis wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, you can hardly miss it!

This. If you're travelling over the Barton Bridge it's Mahoosive. I think (certainly in the early days) it did seem as though you were going around the houses to get to it but that could be just unfamiliarity with the road layout so I can see why you might think it's hard to find ( but it's not really) Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tis very easy to find, easy to get to by car but motorway queues often spoil that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it is easily visible, which is frustrating Laughing Ive never seen any roadsigns on the exit roads though
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
it is easily visible, which is frustrating Laughing Ive never seen any roadsigns on the exit roads though
. Perhaps because it's so big they didn't think a sign was needed wink . I'm over that way next week I'll let you know Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shall we have a whip-round? There's 36590 registered snowheads and they want £25,000,000. By my calculations we could own it for about £700 each Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Leg-pulling aside, this news doesn't surprise me. IMHO, the place has never had the stamp of someone who knows what they're doing. Everything seems so haphazard (like the roadsigns) and just carries on that way with apparently no effort to improve the customer experience. I've not the background but I've always had the itch to get in there and organise the place. I hope someone can.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 10-09-13 10:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Some one did post a link to a set of their accounts on here somewhere

For a quid you can pull any copy you like from Companies House...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If I put the Road name in my Tom Tom it takes me to the other end of the road

Err ...... would it not make sense in that case just to drive to the other end of the road? I don't see how this can be a fault on the part of the snowdome, the road signs or even your satnav, just for once. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Extreme Cool Ltd - Net worth: minus £19 million
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, Do you have the operating profit (EBIT) ?
snow report
the fact that you can see it from a distance doesn't negate the need for sensible road signs. You can see IKEA from a distance too, but they are generally properly signposted. and they're not losing loads of money.
ski holidays
feef, now you are talking, make it 70 quid each and a certain outdoor slope will deliver 450m runs with 100m fall and maybe a few snow cannon thrown in for fun Laughing
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., no all I have is:
Cash at hand: £1.6 million
Current Liabilities: £7.3 million
Current Assets: £2.6 million
Book Value: MINUS £19.1 million
ski holidays
I suspect it's worth £25 m as a piece of real estate. ie might make a nice big block of flats/offices with retail underneath (sorry folks). Indoor snow as a stand-alone business, without the usual entertainment, food court, retail, leisure etc must be v tough to make money.
snow report
Bode Swiller, Manchester isn't short of brownfield sites that could be built on, there isn't any reason to knock it down.

I live 15 minutes away but don't go there as it is just too expensive.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., year ending 2011

sales 7,119,826
operating profit 1,751,651
pre tax profit -285,094

depreciation 958,275

liabilitiies way up , finance costs must be killing em, along with poorly run operations, sales look okay.
latest report
skimottaret, Yep, the last time I looked the cost of servicing the debt appeared unsustainable.
ski holidays
I doubt they're suffering from lack of passing trade.

Principle problem is its a big ski slope that continues to mostly promote stuff that isn't skiing (zorbing on snow, kiddie rides etc).

Promos and website waay behind most of the market.

I'll remain optimistic they'll get decent backing and pull through. Surely Sochi will have some positive effect on numbers...?
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.., I would let em die slowly or go bust and do a pre pack buy out killing off most of the old debt..
snow conditions
skimottaret, way to go... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rjs, the vale of the real estate is the only thing I can see that gets them anywhere near a £25m valuation. As a business it appears to make a loss so I honestly wouldn't be shocked if someone did come along and bulldoze it.
latest report
£50m cost to build a new one (wsm) or £25m to buy one up and running! Very Happy

seriously i expect theres more to this, £25m to buy and take on the exisitng debt?? bit like buying a football club (how to make a small fortune......... start with a large one and buy a footy club) Toofy Grin

potential is there just need someone who knows what they are doing, mind you that applies to an awful lot of 'snowsport business'
snow report
Bode Swiller, it makes 25% operating profit on decent sales numbers, it is over leveraged and restructured would make a nice little business imo... (i used to do that sort of thing)

Hemel 5351 sales 1180 op profit (22%) 824 pre tax profit

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 10-09-13 10:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
trickygibbon, And yet if you offer any suggestions they basically tell you they've got it right on everything.

If pricing, marketing, target audience etc. were better, they'd surely be ok. Despite difficulties expressed, it's incredibly visibly from a major motorway. Signage could overcome the other issues. It can draw custom form 2 major conurbations with no real competition and has the Cheshire belt nearby(one of the most prosperous areas in the country)

It's never worked out what it is!
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, It is surrounded by sewage works, I don't think anyone is in a rush to build flats on the site.
ski holidays
skimottaret, I see that but, if the entry ticket really is £25m (probably not), then the question has to be - what other business could the investor go into to get a better return? Not indoor snow would be my thought.
snow report
rjs, surely you mean water-based theme park in estate agent speak.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Maybe £17m would be a figure to play with. Going forward I'd imagine one of the big unknowns would be future energy costs.
snow report
Bode Swiller, I think the big unknown with these domes is the capital value and depreciation of the asset going forward. Im no property guy but If I had 25M would I put up an office block or industrial warehouse knowing pretty much what the rental returns will be over 10 20 30 years and what the asset will be worth at the end.. Also not sure how much the land is worth that sits under the dome and parking lot... The domes may (or may not) make higher operating profits than a commercial rent but without a track record hard to know if it is a good investment case.... time will tell...
ski holidays
Ski Dubai - at least the mall bolted onto it - seems to be doing fine. This news this a.m. ...

Dubai mall with ski slope plans $273 mln expansion
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/10/dubai-maf-mall-idUSL5N0H61QA20130910

Of course, the prospective London dome at Stratford will also be based on 'the tills are alive' [with the sound of Stratford yodelling] thinking.
snow report
skimottaret, yes, a big slopey fridge can only ever be a big slopey fridge.
ski holidays
Chill Factore Accounts - I have checked with Companies House and they are over a month overdue in filing last years accounts, the last accounts that were filed were up to 31st October 2011. Does this mean that they don't want people to know how well or how badly they are doing? Also the land cant be redeveloped as the land is owned by the Trafford Centre.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith,
Quote:
'the tills are alive'
Living up to your name. Good one.
snow conditions
oldscholl, welcome to snowHeads. How are your orthopaedic sandals holding up?
latest report
oldscholl wrote:
Also the land cant be redeveloped as the land is owned by the Trafford Centre.

depends what the lease says, surely.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy