Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peaceful accommodation with decent skiing

Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I are looking for a week skiing in Feb and our main criteria is getting peace at night along with good skiing and good food - can anyone recommend anything? We had a decent trip in soll last season but rowdy teenagers in the chalet just got on our tits!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
We had a decent trip in soll last season but rowdy teenagers in the chalet just got on our tits!

If you stay in a shared chalet you have to accept what you get. Although iirc Soll is known as a bit of a party resort (I've never been) so if you go pretty much anywhere else you should be OK.

You need to be careful about school holidays, fasching, etc if you go in Feb.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can personally recommend the Sporthotel Lorünser in Zurs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could try Warth (which will be linked into the Lech & Zurs area this season). Either the family-run Lechtalerhof or the Steffisalp (if the latter, ask for a room overlooking the slopes as the rooms at the car park end tend to be disturbed by large machines clearing the car parks at about 6am). See http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98706 for more details.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loads of places I could think of in France, but only in the first half of the month - school holidays thereafter. What sort of accommodation are you after? Budget?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The trick is surely to go to a hotel or go self-catering, rather than a catered chalet which in Feb will almost certainly have teenagers in it. Any number of French or Austrian resorts would fit the bill - when are you planning to travel?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info so far. Dates are flexible. I guess price wise we were thinking up to 800 each flight/accommodation package and half board would be nice. The dream would be a private chalet for 2 but don't see many of those!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The dream would be a private chalet for 2 but don't see many of those!

not for £800 a head, at any rate. wink

If you want to be sure of avoiding any noisy fellow guests, why not rent a nice apartment where you can relax in peace and privacy, fix your own relaxed breakfasts and go out to a different restaurant every night or buy delicious food from a traiteur? You'll get more for your money in mid January or the latter half of March.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pretty much any of chalets aplaca, dahu, bou blanc, dahu, herrison here http://www.skibeat.co.uk/ski/france/les_arcs should do the trick. there's a great bar / restaurant about 100m away, but it's not a noisy bar and apart from that it's pretty peaceful (taking Pam W's point about time of year) and not at all built up area. obviously you're a bit dependent on the other clients.
Ski back in/lift out on the doorstep (altought it's only a few pylons and you then have to go down to another lift to get up the hill)

How about a nice hotel in somewhere like la villa, alta badia in the dolomites - almost anywhere is going to be quiet and the scenary is gorgeous.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
After mountain biking past some nice Ski Amis chalets below Les Menuires this summer (at Le Bettex) I looked up their website.

If you're set on a chalet, they have some amazing looking places in La Tania in particular. They are quite small capacity as well, so - given that La Tania is hardly party town central in terms of apres ski choices - would hopefully be nice and quiet. Prices are reasonable given the standard of accommodation.

I can understand exactly where you are coming from - Mrs MA & I get sick of staying on seemingly idyllic campsites, that are just that until the pubs turn out....Who are these morons who don't give a toss who they disturb until 3am Confused ?

Alternatively, for a nice quiet hotel with good food & a great choice of ski areas (St Anton, Ischgl, Serfaus etc, try Hotel Enzian in Landeck. They do a ski safari (at a really good price)that includes minibus transport to a different resort each day. We only spent 2 nights there but can highly recommend the hotel.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
glasgowdan, I would try to find a smaller chalet company that has more control on how to put people together and they might be able to suggest some dates when they have return guests that they know you would fit in with. Just an idea... Smile Otherwise it's hard to know who you might end up with. Try Skiology.co.uk for example, they are excellent.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

How about a nice hotel

Not for 800
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
How about a nice hotel.....Not for 800
Maybe not in Switzerland or France - but see my reference to Hotel Enzian in Landeck above. It certainly wouldn't be £800 - half board in a double room is €60-80 pppn, depending on season. You could push the price up with a 90 m2 suite if you really wanted to though - at €89 per person per night for 2 people sharing.

So low season would be €420/£362 (@ £1 = €1.16) - leaving only £438 per person for flights and transfers....I think the Ski Safari packages (with ski pass and minibus transfer to a different area ech day) are good value too - but I'm struggling to see the prices on the website rolling eyes .

It's a bus ride to all of the ski areas - but a lovely hotel nevertheless: http://www.hotel-enzian.com/start.php?site=ehome&lan=e&ss=home#top
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
glasgowdan, Try one of these... Not sure about your budget tho Smile

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/feb/10/romantic-chalets-for-two-alps

In all seriousness... NO idea on price but always fancied staying here...

http://www.ifyouski.com/switzerland/verbier/mozart/undated/6600.aspx
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The dream would be a private chalet for 2 but don't see many of those!

not for £800 a head, at any rate. wink

If you want to be sure of avoiding any noisy fellow guests, why not rent a nice apartment where you can relax in peace and privacy, fix your own relaxed breakfasts and go out to a different restaurant every night or buy delicious food from a traiteur? You'll get more for your money in mid January or the latter half of March.

Thanks everyone, a little more SH's support would be great wink

glasgowdan. Take a look at our chalet in my link in my sig. Off peak (you said you were flexible, so could do first week of Feb) we are approx £800 sole occupancy for the week, leaving you another 800 for flights, transfers/car hire, and everything else to get well within your budget. you could even invite another couple or two Toofy Grin Its 6.5kms from the nearest lift and 12kms from the main PDS lifts, with 200m to the bus stop.

You wont get a much quieter location Laughing the bar in the village is 300m and you would probably be making most of the noise in there!
ski holidays
dennisp, I didn't get the impression that he meant self-catering!! He specifically wants "good food" and he wouldn't bother to specify that if he intended cooking it himself. Laughing Perhaps if you buy in a private chef for the week?
ski holidays
glasgowdan, take a look at some of the places in Ski Amadé where you can more or less organise things yourself as it is only 45 to 60 minutes (depending on where you end up) from Salzburg Airport. Loads of people on the ground as well who can advise and possibly meet up with you and guide you around a wee bit. My favourite places are Wagrain, Maria Alm, Altenmarkt/Radstadt, and Schladming/Rohrmoos but there loads of resorts within the ski pass area.
latest report
glasgowdan, hmmm, slightly leftfield but you could think of staying away from the resort? A common enough concept in the US... E.g. http://www.orangeriemontblanc.com/ an easy drive from lots of skiing, quiet and with delightful food...
snow report
glasgowdan, I think pick a quiet village and you're more likely to get a quiet chalet. Having said that, I think you do need there to be at least one bar outside so that anyone in the chalet who wants to has somewhere to go (rather than drinking to the early hours in the chalet!). I worked as a chalet host in Montchavin last year, which is a small village, with a few restaurants and two bars, but right in the middle of the Paradiski. We almost always had quiet guests who generally did not stay up long after dinner and rarely went out. Many large ski areas have smaller villages on the edge of their terrain that are quieter than the main resort. We also used to go skiing in Ischgl in Austria, which is known to be quite rowdy, but always stayed down the road in Kappl (linked by free ski bus) which is very quiet.

Also, small independent operators usually count on significant repeat business and have more control over which guests go together - so you can explain directly to an owner what is important to you and they can suggest chalets/weeks accordingly.
latest report
A quiet, expensive-ish hotel at a time where the Universities and schools are still working and avoid 'Dutch week' towards the end of April.

The problem is that even in a 'quiet' location you only need one group to really cause problems.

Our apartment is in a small, 'quiet', block low down in the village in Val Thorens and each Saturday you get a complete refresh, pretty much, of everyone in the whole block. Mostly it is peaceful, but very occasionally you get a group of teenagers who can cause real noise problems. There is not a huge amount you can do about it either. The building management company is good, and generally most are, but by the time they speak to the apartment owners the whole building changes over again.

The other factor is that skiing is one of those holidays that attracts single sex groups, when you mix that with alcohol, then you get noise everywhere at 3.00am.

I think though that the biggest pice of advice in all of this though is to avoid 'Dutch week'. They are all charming - but boy, they know how to party. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy