Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deciding on new jacket - state of market

Poster: A snowHead
couldn't resist, have had my trusty Marker for too many years so got one of these yesterday. http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/sweet-protection-mens-sep/mens-aw1213-hammer-jacket-battle-gray

colour scheme matches my Atomic boots and my existing gloves so am happy. Only downside is the lack of zips/pockets. I am a bit of a nightmare and the Marker has about 27 Zips or pockets (You need to see me doing the old pocket tapping dance when I am trying to find something, its very funny).

first venture out will be on the IOS Tignes trip on the 7th of Nov...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowmoment wrote:
For the Sweet range I would strongly recomend, its 3 layer pro shell gore tex and every bit as good as Norrona. The Supernaut is slim fitting and I have this from last season. The Crusader is baggier...... Duke is lower end and insulated

Norrona Lofoten is a good bet for classic style...

For the ultimate though, Orage Retallack - You will be one of the few with that jacket!

Supernaut (at least last season's) is a LOT baggier than my Lofoten. Still an excellent jacket though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmmm. sweet protection webby not very helpful, and the sportpursuit site has a popup obliterating the pic of the product (and I'm not registering to make it go away).

Looking for something to replace my shöffel jacket, and to use up €100 voucher that expires in December. Need lots of pockets, since I never use a backpack. Don't like the new colours from Schöffel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here is the SweetProtection link for the 2013 series, can't see much difference other than colours.

http://www.sweetprotection.com/ski-and-snowboard/technical-clothing/mens/jackets/?p=hammer-jacket&pid=587
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
Mrdini wrote:
halfhand, hmm?</whoosh> Very Happy

In any case - I admit there's something I think I'm missing here... When I go into a shop & pick up say this - www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?model=Theta-AR-Jacket (just an example mind you!) my thoughts are as follows...

* "There aren't any pockets, just holes! Where the hell do I stow my gloves, ski-pass sleeve etc. Keep my hands warm?". Most hardshells I've seen seem to like only have one pocket on the inside.
* It feels like I'm paying a few hundred quid for basically the outside, with the warm lining removed.
* No snow-skirt or hand gaiter (at least not on the thin hardshells I've seen)

Whereas by contrast, I'm looking at say for example http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/salomon-intuition-ii-2l-jacket-men-astral-12-13/36181/p# which Snow + Rock is having on sale at the moment and has all the above features and would indeed keep me warm... (a few quid cheaper than that site for what its worth)

I just don't know - what exactly am I missing here? Don't get the impression I'm against hardshells - it's more that I'm trying to understand how a hardshell would work and why people recommend these.

Thanks!

Hardshells are the way forward. As they're just a waterproof/windproof layer, you can use them whatever the temperature. -20ºC, layer up underneath with a decent merino base and a thick fleece. +10ºC (and/or raining), just wear a thin merino base layer. Stay warm and dry (from sweat as well as snow/water) whatever the weather. It's the really high levels of waterproofing (particularly useful on mild but still snowing days - snow will melt whenever you go into a crowded gondola), windproofing and decent breathability (so you don't get soaked by sweat) that you pay for. Wearing an insulated jacket on a -2ºC day while it's snowing, you'll get soaked with sweat from the inside, and unless it's comparable quality to goretex or the like, get soaked from the outside when the snow melts on you in a lift/as you sit on patches of it on chairlifts.

All decent ski hardshells come with a snow skirt, and mostly a lift pass. The climbing ones don't, and are usually a fair whack cheaper. Your gloves keep your hands warm, not your shell, why do you need pockets for that? Plenty do come with a hand-garter, the Norona Lofoten has by FAR the best one I've ever used. Most shells will come with at least two pockets on the chest, but bulky things are much better off in your salopette pockets where the bulk doesn't matter. Cargo-trouser style salopettes (also hardhsell ftw) are great - though it's only my phone and hipflask that go in mine, usually, the rest in my backpack.

Worth pointing out that a snowskirt is only really essential if you're regularly falling over in really deep snow, and that lift passes work just fine in your salopettes - nothing wrong with saving money and getting a climbing shell without the bells and whistles!

Personally, even when it's colder than -20ºC, I couldn't fathom skiing in a down jacket. FAR to sweaty. Even in a normal insulated jacket, with only a thin base layer I sweat whilst skiing unless it's below -10ºC. Don't get me wrong, I love my down jacket, but for low-energy stuff only!

I have to say this is one of the most illuminating statements on hardshells as it relates to skiing I've seen Smile The issue I had with most articles/posts on hardshells leans towards "what hardshells to buy" rather than "why buy hardshells".

I went to a local Snow + Rock & tried on a proper ski hardshell (I found out that I'd been looking at hardshells more suitable to climbing in the past Embarassed which tends to be more basic) & now it makes more sense. I do recognise some people tend to prefer softshells but after having had a down jacket which has served me well, I fancy a change, not to mention more adaptable clothing depending on weather.

FWIW I've gone for the Supernaut jacket off the Sport Pursuit sale - I admit I was seduced by the fact it was 40% off not to mention the strong recommendations online! Here's hoping it fits! Smile

On a related note, I came across this article today which I found rather interesting in light of this thread. http://dressed-down.com/blog/2013/5/15/intro-to-techwear-part-4-the-glossary I've not read the other parts yet, but if they're as good as this glossary, I daresay the other parts should be well worth a read.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 20-09-13 3:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

halfhand, hmm?</whoosh>

Mr Dini; Hugh Dini; Houdini. Oh I give up rolling eyes

Toofy Grin

Oh! No Smile

The nick comes from a series of sci fi books by Anne McCaffrey I used to like many, many years ago! "Mrdini", never "Mr Dini" Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

On a related note, I came across this article today which I found rather interesting in light of this thread. http://dressed-down.com/blog/2013/5/15/intro-to-techwear-part-4-the-glossary I've not read the other parts yet, but if they're as good as this glossary, I daresay the other parts should be well worth a read.

That was a good read. The rest is a bit more fashion focussed.

Still haven't decided what I want re hard/soft shell. More concerned about breathability than waterproofness. Anyway, will be interested to hear how the Supernaut works out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dibergio wrote:
Quote:

That was a good read. The rest is a bit more fashion focussed.

Yeah. A bit zzz-y Smile As long as it fits & does its job, I'm happy Smile

Quote:

Still haven't decided what I want re hard/soft shell. More concerned about breathability than waterproofness. Anyway, will be interested to hear how the Supernaut works out.

If I remember this thread, I'll let you know! But not sure if I'll be doing skiing early in the season - maybe a bit later.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just make sure you get decent pit zips. My hardshell Changabang (climbing and skiing jacket) is comfy in -20C and +10C and I am happy to venture out in it in very extreme conditions. The hood even stows in the collar yet is fully articulated and wired for use with a helmet. If you are likely to be skiing in storms then it makes sense to go for something which is designed specifically for those mountain environments, and is versatile enough to combine with a variety of insulation layers. The most I've ever had to wear underneath it during activity is two thin baselayers, and that is only in the worst case. For climbing a little more due to the periods of standing around. I carry a small synthetic duvet in my pack which takes up very little room but is ideal for popping on during stops.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avalanche Poodle, the Changabang has been on my radar for a while. The pit zips look small compared to others. When you say you only wear it two thin baselayers are they merino? Also by activity you mean downhill skiing?

Do you have the 2013 version? I hear the fit has changed a bit - it was quite short in the older one?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many of the hard shell jackets from climbing manufacturers are very slim fitting. Often, they are so slim that it is hard to fit much more than a single mid layer under them. This isn't enough for me when I'm ski touring because I can't nip into a cafe to warm up.

The best solution I've found is to wear an insulated vest over the top of a hardshell, as suggested in this video...

http://youtube.com/v/5tdVSikNcOM

Layering over the top of your shell also has the advantage that you don't have to strip off to add another layer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought I'd pop back in & comment...

After getting the Supernaut from Sports Pursuit, I went to Val d'Isere last week and I have to say that I'm pretty much happy with my jacket now Smile

Yes, it does appear to be thin, but it does indeed keep out the wind, so I had no problems with keeping warm whilst skiing. However, if you go a bit too light on the thermal layer as I did on one day, I found I got a bit chilly on the chairlifts as the heat from skiing dissipated pretty rapidly so will need to bear that in mind when choosing the right clothes for the thermal layer. However I didn't even feel the need to wear the warm gilets I'd bought just in case you folks like clarky999 was wrong Very Happy

Signed A Satisfied Customer
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dibergio wrote:
Avalanche Poodle, the Changabang has been on my radar for a while. The pit zips look small compared to others. When you say you only wear it two thin baselayers are they merino? Also by activity you mean downhill skiing?

Do you have the 2013 version? I hear the fit has changed a bit - it was quite short in the older one?

The pit zips are pretty big, they extend all down the sides and are 13 inches long. I have one about 7 years old, I prefer it shorter for wearing with a climbing harness. The snowskirt adds a little warmth in very cold conditions, and the sleeve lift pass packet is handy too. 4 large pockets allow plenty of gear to be stashed.

I just wear a Helly Hanson synthetic lifa top, or similar from Berghaus under the shell for most winter conditions. Very rarely I have added a similar t shirt but I usually overheat then if skiing. I use the jacket for ice climbing, DH skiing, off piste and ski touring as well. I do ski hard though so tend to run hot, for long ski tours I stick the jacket in a pack as long as the weather is clear.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrdini, Nice one Smile I get the same on chair lifts but just grin and bear it.

Oceanic, Yup, a lot of climbers do the same with belay jackets in winter. Climb in the shell, belay with a synthetic over the top. My old Buffalo pile shirt is good for that as it's so hard wearing, but bulky. These days I'll use a light duvet jacket.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good summary of soft-shells from Lindahl here:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/271303-Cheap-softshells-is-there-an-actual-technology-or-performance-difference
ski holidays
try www.skogstadd.co.uk i have some of their non ski stuff and its greeat quality for the price
snow report
Quote:

After getting the Supernaut from Sports Pursuit

Does it have the zip on the wrong side? I bought a Sweet jacket recently that did - confusing Smile
ski holidays
Mrdini, glad you like your jacket but don't forget you were skiing in pretty mild conditions - you'd need that extra layer if it was cold, probably.
snow report
Mrdini wrote:
I thought I'd pop back in & comment...

After getting the Supernaut from Sports Pursuit, I went to Val d'Isere last week and I have to say that I'm pretty much happy with my jacket now Smile

Yes, it does appear to be thin, but it does indeed keep out the wind, so I had no problems with keeping warm whilst skiing. However, if you go a bit too light on the thermal layer as I did on one day, I found I got a bit chilly on the chairlifts as the heat from skiing dissipated pretty rapidly so will need to bear that in mind when choosing the right clothes for the thermal layer. However I didn't even feel the need to wear the warm gilets I'd bought just in case you folks like clarky999 was wrong Very Happy

Signed A Satisfied Customer

Doesn't that mean I was right?

Glad you like it anyway though.
snow report
finestgreen wrote:
Quote:

After getting the Supernaut from Sports Pursuit

Does it have the zip on the wrong side? I bought a Sweet jacket recently that did - confusing Smile

Hmm? No. I'm not sure what you mean but zip wasn't on the inside if that's what you mean by "wrong side". It's not an asymmetrical jacket like the Arc'Teryx Sidewider SV.

pam w wrote:
Mrdini, glad you like your jacket but don't forget you were skiing in pretty mild conditions - you'd need that extra layer if it was cold, probably.

Perhaps... But given how well it works, I don't think I would need significantly much more.
snow report
Quote:

Hmm? No. I'm not sure what you mean but zip wasn't on the inside if that's what you mean by "wrong side". It's not an asymmetrical jacket like the Arc'Teryx Sidewider SV.

As in, the toggly zip pull bit is on the right rather than the left.
snow report
finestgreen wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, none the wiser :/ This is pretty much a symmetrical jacket - http://www.sweetprotection.com/ski-and-snowboard/technical-clothing/mens/?p=supernaut-jacket&pid=581

The zip's down the middle.

You might be thinking of a different jacket?
snow report
Mrdini wrote:
finestgreen wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, none the wiser :/ This is pretty much a symmetrical jacket - http://www.sweetprotection.com/ski-and-snowboard/technical-clothing/mens/?p=supernaut-jacket&pid=581

Sorry, I'm not explaining this very well. On any jacket, the slider thing is on one side of the zip, yes? On every jacket I've ever owned, that slider thing has been on the left half of the zip - to do it up you take the bottom of the right half and slot it into the slider on the left half. On my Sweet jacket, it's the other way round - the slider goes up the right half of the zip.
snow conditions
finestgreen wrote:
Mrdini wrote:
finestgreen wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, I'm not explaining this very well. On any jacket, the slider thing is on one side of the zip, yes? On every jacket I've ever owned, that slider thing has been on the left half of the zip - to do it up you take the bottom of the right half and slot it into the slider on the left half. On my Sweet jacket, it's the other way round - the slider goes up the right half of the zip.

Ah! Just checked - yes, you're right. The slider is on the right, zip on left. Didn't realise that was unusual - my other (UNIQLO) jackets are the same.

Did a bit of Google & interestingly enough, seems it's a bit of a US/Europe+Asia thing - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111202194915AA1vrUf. The fact Sweet Protection is .no & UNIQLO is .jp would back this up Smile
latest report
http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/waterproof/changabang_jacket_2013---854/

This is a great jacket and doesn't break the bank.

I've got a mixture of Haglofs, Mountain Equipment and Arcteryx .... prefer the ME gear
ski holidays
Alex A, I got mine for £230 with a mountaineering club discount. I see last years models coming up in the sales a bit too. Best value for money jacket on the market IMHO.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy