Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it possible for a family of 'new' skiers to go skiing at the end of October in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Think about whether you really want to take up skiing as holidays at peak school holiday weeks are never going to get any cheaper and it isn't a bargain hobby when you get hooked [/end cold water]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skiandboardcamp : Skiing on the Tignes glacier from £119 per person including airport transfers, 3 nights catered accommodation, 3 day lift pass and free equipment rental. Longer stays possible.

Contact reservations@mountainsunltd.com for further details.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd have thought for your first ski holiday you want to experience what ski resorts really have to offer and October the skiing will be very, very restricted and the snow I would guess might be poor quality. My earliest holiday was Val d'Isere at the start of December and only the upper runs were available even then. I have also had a Christmas ski holiday when I was young at Kitzbuhel with no skiable snow at all, but that was a freak and the resort it rather low.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

info@parksidepad.co.uk, SC = Self Catering. I've only ever been to Tignes (which isn't mentioned in your list) in late October. You're unlikely to find a package at that time of year but http://www.mountainsunltd.com/ are very reliable and will cover half board accommodation, transport from Geneva and lift pass, you just need to sort your own flight. Tignes Glacier is fairly gentle and you should be able to find instruction from English speaking instructors (there are some who come on Snowheads).

and

Quote:

Joanne Mountainsun wrote
skiandboardcamp : Skiing on the Tignes glacier from £119 per person including airport transfers, 3 nights catered accommodation, 3 day lift pass and free equipment rental. Longer stays possible.

Contact reservations@mountainsunltd.com for further details.

Mountain Sun in Tignes do not allow children during their early season (Sept-Dec) "Snow and Board Camp". I tried getting them to agree to that for a couple of years, but have had no luck. Your teenagers may be allowed but they are very anti little' uns.

I would love it if their attitude on this has changed since 2011, when I last tried this.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like going to Tignes early season (am going in early November) and the Mountainsun deal is excellent but I wouldn't take small children there. It's quite a schlep to get onto the snow - and when you get there it's quite likely to be pretty horrible weather and/or pretty horrible snow. And IIRC ALL the lifts are T-bars, which are trickier than button lifts, especially when everyone else on them looks like they've been skiing since they were six months old. I went up one last year with a guy who turned out to be a coach for the French men's team. I was so grateful I didn't fall off and take him with me - can you imagine the ignominy? You can only ski half the day, you have to be up the mountain early, the funicular is very crowded and there's absolutely nothing for kids to do in the afternoon anywhere near the hotel other than go for long healthy walks.

Not that I want to put you off or anything........ wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, is the glacier only open mornings even in November?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, good question. Last year I was there in October - this time it will be early November. So it might be open a bit longer, I suppose, but the OP is asking about half term - October.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
info@parksidepad.co.uk, If you really cannot go at Easter... I would look at the summer half term (assuming children's hols OK)... Zermatt, Kaprun would be good (IIRC Tignes will be shut).... you'll get much better weather and lot's of good stuff to do in the afternoon..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy