Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One night in mountain refuge ValT or in Francoz (Orelle)

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody know of a overnightstay possibility on ski in ValT or Francoz? Looking on Google steet in Froncoz near the liftstation is rather depressing Embarassed , however Google past by in 2010 - so does anybody know of a place? Puzzled
We are coming on ski and need dinner and breakfast.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where are the experts? Shocked
If staying in Courchevel we would like not just to rush back form ValT area, but spend some time there, and that needs a overnightstay at the far end. Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could get a taxi up the valley to Modane. There's a variety of hotels there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a list of the huts that are open visit http://www.refuges-vanoise.com/portail/index.pl?accueil.htm&ln=en

A few of the huts are open during the spring for ski tourers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE,

Thank you JohnE, but we are not Randonee people, just pistpeople. We found this place when we stay in Val Gardena, and I was looking for samething alike in ValT og down in Orelle.

http://rifugiolagazuoi.com/indexUK.php

Mark Thank you, but if there is a place like Refugio Lagazuoi it would be nice. At the lift down to Orelle there is a Refuge, but is is only a restaurnat, and I have asked them 2 years ago - they did not take overnight guests. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hyst there is nowhere similar to that in the 3 Valleys (ie not off piste or hiking access). There are many, many hotels of varying sorts in and around the ski resorts themselves, but there aren't any up in the ski area itself... There are also lots of restaurants called Le Refuge, but they are all restaurants...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It might be easier to find somewhere to stay in the spa town of Brides Les Bains in the valley and take the gondola lift up to Meribel (if you don't mind being based in the central of the 3 valleys). It does, though, mean taking time going up and down in the lift each morning and evening before getting to the ski area.
You can get there from Moutier by bus (I think) if arriving by train. Or if you will have a car then you have a big range of possible places to stay.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hyst, I see what you are trying to do, but I don't think there are any options for overnight stays on top of the mountains in 3V.
You will have to find a hotel for one night in Val Thorens itself. It might have some advantages - apres and quicker access to this part of 3V for example but why would you do it, you can ski back to Courchevel in 1h or so.
That's why we opted to stay in Mottaret in 3V it is so central you can just pick up any area you want on a day and ski there for a whole day, saving a little bit of the commute from one side of 3V to another.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank You everybody. TomW and Offpistskiing you got it! Just a pitty it does not exist! Sad It is a very coisy experience. I have stayed in Mottaret before, and that is perfect, but it is not easy to find a suitable place in Mottaret, so I looked at Courchevel.
Getting older (and having a rather slow wife) it is not possible to look around ValT valley a lot, before returning to Corchevel.
Staying one nigth in ValT is not my choise.

Thank you everybody - and if anybody want built such place Laughing - you can count on us as guests! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hyst, there are several 'proper' hotels in Val Thorens or Les Menuires that will take a one night booking; they're just generally at the high end of the market so not cheap. So really it all depends on your budget. You don't say when you're going though so bear in mind it will be easier/cheaper to do it in low season. A quick search on Trivago brings up Les Bruyeres in Les Menuires at £115 in January for a Wednesday night. I've not stayed there but I know it was refurbished about 3 years ago and is in a perfect easy ski in/out location in Reberty.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meribel and Mottaret close together in the middle valley have loads of places to stay between them - so what kind of unusual place are you wanting to stay?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I saw this place, whilst searching for apartments. It looks like a mountain restaurant, but they have apartments too - no idea if they'd let you stay for just one night, but it might be worth asking. Says it's a skidoo ride from the main resort, so might be quite a fun place to stay.

http://www.leschaletsduthorens.com/english/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Refuge du lac du Lou?

http://www.refuges.info/point/1122/gite-d-etape/Vanoise/Refuge-du-lac-du-Lou/

Requires considerable off-piste to access but it's something of a trade route.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis, only gardiened in summer. Not sure I've ever heard of it being open in winter (but I could be wrong...).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dato: Tir, 10. sep 2013 10:26

Hello,

Sorry, this doesn’t exist in Val Thorens.

Best regards,

Fanny MARTEAU

VAL THORENS RESERVATION
reserver@valthorens.com

Maison de Val Thorens
F-73440 VAL THORENS
Tel : +33 (0)4 79 00 01 06
www.valthorens.com

Rejoignez-nous sur Facebook / Join us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/valthorens.resort

P Avant d'imprimer, merci de penser à l'environnement

Thank you for your answer, other places have such possibilties:

Sella Dolomiti:

http://rifugiolagazuoi.com/

Maybe you should develop such possebility - soo that guest staying in Courchevel can come to ValT and stay one nigt.

Horst Ravn
ski holidays
TBF Hyst, I don't think the various 3 valley lift companies invested 100's of millions of Euros in arguably the world's most efficient lift system for people to have to spend the night in a bunk room because they can't get home.
snow report
Raceplate

Other resorts have seen the ideer, not just becourse we can not reach back, but if you want to look around the ValT skiing area, i takes time.
The facilities are in fact pressant many places, and you do not have to build new. But there could be good buissness also for you to offer a possibility of a nigth out.

Not everybody stays in a nice Chalet. Staying in a apparment in somewhere courshevel it could be nice to buy a luxcurius dinner evening in a mountain refuge, and having time to look every skipiste ind the area.

Do not focous in the restains, but see the opotionities. wink
snow conditions
Hyst, I do see the opportunities. If you stay in Courchevel and want to ski Val Thorens there's a fantastic lift system to get you there. If you really want to stay overnight there are several 4 and 5 star hotels. Just ski in with jeans and shoes in a backpack. If you want a high altitude dinner there is an entire village constructed at 2300m with many quality restaurants to cater for you.

If you want to ski Val Thorens and your wife's a rubbish skier you should stay in Val Thorens, not Courchevel. VT is the highest ski resort in Europe and not exactly convenient to get to so why would they cater to day-trippers? That market's in Brides-les-Bains. VT want week long holiday makers otherwise there's no point in building an entire village at 2300m at the end of a valley. There's no passing trade. If you want to explore the area properly you can stay in VT in anything from a cheap bunk room to a swanky 5 star if you book a week. There is a UCPA in VT which is the equivalent of that Italian refuge, they just don't do single night bookings (AFAIK) because renting a bed to you for one night means they can't rent it for a whole week to someone else. Pierre & Vacances will take two night bookings in low season for their apartments, though.

I think you're just complaining because you're trying to do it on the cheap but the French ski market's not set up for short term stays. The 3 valleys is well known for not being cheap (though it can be reasonable if you know it well) because it has a unique selling position - highest and largest ski area in Europe. Guaranteed snow. If that's what you want, pay for it. If you want cheap, go back to Italy with their clunky old cable cars, slow chairs and disjointed skiing. And before anyone else says it, if you want modern lift systems and flexible hotels go to Austria.
latest report
Raceplate,

When I look for a lot of snow, (and a nice warm bath) I rather go to Nozawa onsen, a smal place but with a lot of charme, and the wife skiied there first time there 53 years ago, so do not worry - she in fact is able to ski Shock .

Everybody else, thank you very much for your contributions, and have a nice winter. Smile

Hyst
snow conditions
Hyst, Have a nice winter too. Enjoy 3V and you can always try to book one night in main Val Thorens hotels if lucky.
It won't have the charm you are after but will let you ski more there.

Shame that mentioned by eversolazy, http://www.leschaletsduthorens.com/english/, only offer week packages, otherwise it will be perfect for you.
snow report
If you want to ski the whole area I still don't understand why you don't stay in the Meribel / Mottaret valley. Loads of choice there.
Or call the Val Thorens tourist Bureau the evening before you want to do it and I'm sure they will find you a single night somewhere in Val Thorens. Hotels are reluctant to let out a room in advance for one night but at the last moment they will.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy