Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So, thinking of heading across the pond to Whistler this year. Thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Been looking at resorts again for this coming winter and prices seem to be up on last year. 3 of us were thinking of Tignes for a change this year and going for 2 weeks for the first time rather than a single week. 2 weeks half board in mid Jan for a 2* room in Tignes is £1200 by Eurostar, bit less by plane.

For that I can get a 4* B&B apartment in Whistler. Same number of days skiing and similar price of lift passes etc.

I'm wondering if the skiing is worth the jet lag. I seem to hear nothing but good things about the place, anyone care to tell me their experiences of Whistler and how you found the skiing. Last year, with a few days coaching I went from skiing any red to skiing most blacks, first go off-piste into the powder and trees and now moguls don't bug me so much.

I'd be looking at getting more coaching and trying to do a bit more off-piste. I'd be going with 2 intermediate standard snowboarders so they'd have slightly different needs to me but take care of themselves and we play together where we can.

My skiing up to now has mostly been in France: La Plagne, Deux Alps, Les Arcs and a day or two in Tignes/Val D'. I prefer to travel by train but if going by air I'm thinking maybe go long haul instead.

Where else might you suggest in Europe on that budget or would you head off to the Rockies?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do it and you'll struggle to return to Europe. We've done Whistler the last 3 yrs and it is amazing.

PM me if you want specific information.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler is Disneyland for skiing. It was created for skiing, snowboarding and mountain biking and so has some fantastic runs. We've done four separate weeks there, and love it, but the unreliable part is the weather. It is in the Coastal Mountains and gets alot of moisutre ( hence the ridiculous amount of snow some years), but it can also produce fog and rain. I have skiied in Whistler when it was so foggy I couldn't see my feet, other times it has been raining up o the top of the mountain.

I reallly think it would be hard to beat if he weather was reliable and when the weather is good it is fantastic. We go to Banff for three weeks every year, but sometimes combine it with a week in Whistler so we get the best of both worlds but always finish in the Rokies so that we have more chace of better weather.

Overall, very highly recommended!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The skiing in Whistler is excellent. There's plenty for everyone. It isn't in the Rockies by the way as you mention above, it's in the coastal range and this produces some weather issues lower down. At around 600m rain is not uncommon in the village, though higher up it's usually, though not always snow. Of all the Canadian resorts it's the most European like and full of Brits. The village is big and busy and accommodation can be a good way from lifts. Queues for the lifts in the mornings can be long.

If you're looking for something more Canadian with more spectacular scenery then think about Lake Louise. LL is in the Rockies and I defy anyone not to be amazed by the views. The skiing here is excellent with lots of variety. The back bowls are tremendous and will test anyone! It's not as big as Whistler (a little over half the skiable terrain) but there's still plenty. Queues are far lees of a problem and in January won't be any problem. The weather can be bitterly cold but to pinpoint this as a drawback always mystifies me. We're skiers. We live for cold snowy places. As you can tell, my preference is for LL. There is no slopeside accommodation and you will require a short bus ride from your hotel. I' don't find this an issue myself as buses are regular and pick you up outside the entrances, dropping you off at the lodge in about 5 minutes (a little longer for the Chateau)

As for jetlag; when you're there, you'll just find yourself tired early in the evening which will get better as time goes on. I've never found it a problem but I'm there to ski not party until late. It's coming back that it makes you feel rubbish. You'll have some uncomfortable days at work maybe. People say you need 2 weeks to make it worth a trip to Canada. I disagree. It's even worth it for a week.

All in all either place is fantastic, it's a case of deciding on your priorities and what experience you want. Like I say, my preference is for a more typical Canadian experience but they're both great places. There are some other excellent places as well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go for it. Whistler is EPIC.

We had a massive dumps for about 2 weeks continuos before we got there, and bluebird for our first 8 days! Fog the last 2 days but you stay in the trees so no issues really.

You will have no regrets and the jet lag will only hit you when back in the UK, so who cares!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, I'm off to spend the day with the couple I'll be going with to look at all our options, the Coast Blackcombe Suites look very good for the money. Whistler is really looking like the place we'll go this year.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 8-09-13 9:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowMonkey69, apparently you can't receive PM's as you're 'down a crevasse'.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mr_magicfingers, definitely worth the trip. North America is not the be-all-and-end-all of skiing that some would suggest, but it's different and can be spectacularly good.

Use a limo service from Vancouver if you can, it's no more expensive and rather more fun.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ade57 wrote:
The weather can be bitterly cold but to pinpoint this as a drawback always mystifies me

Perhaps you avoided frostbite. Puzzled
LL in Jan brrrrrr... Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The jet lag is worth it. You'll be over it as soon as you breathe the mountain air. I can't speak for Whistler specifically but I usually ski in NA and all resorts there share some important characteristics.

First is the inbounds off piste. You'll find huge areas of the mountain are open for you to explore safely, having been avalanche patrolled and with the worst hazards such as cliffs roped off. That's why NA resorts are measured in acres rather than km. If you don't use this terrain, it greatly reduces the purpose of travelling so far imv.

Whistler and Vail aside, resorts there are small. Nowhere offers the sense of journey that you get when you ski from village to village in Europe. This is about skiing, not pictures post card villages. That bothers some but not me.

The food won't be European. After a hungry day skiing, you might be glad of some calorie laden Canadian fare, but many people complain. Personally, I think the breakfasts are so good over there that nothing else matters.

People are polite in NA. They know how to queue and always talk to you on the lifts. That can be fascinating or irritating according to your mood.

Ski schools are expensive but of an extraordinarily high quality everywhere over the pond. Take some lessons - you won't regret it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heaven forbid, I'd be in real trouble if I ended up down a crevasse !

Try again, if it doesn't work post your questions on here and as you can from everyone's helpful responses above I'm sure we can all help you.

I've not done any other Canadian resorts so can't offer a perspective but Whistler is the best resort I've been to in 25 yrs of skiing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mr_magicfingers wrote:
For that I can get a 4* B&B apartment in Whistler. Same number of days skiing and similar price of lift passes etc.

I'm wondering if the skiing is worth the jet lag.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
The time lag is actually a bit of a bonus while you are out there as you'll be wide awake for first lifts. Just try not to do what I did and book an appartment directly above one of the late night bars!

mr_magicfingers wrote:
I'd be looking at getting more coaching and trying to do a bit more off-piste.

The ski school in Whistler is good. All the instructors working at the top of the mountains are highly qualified and know the hills.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SnowMonkey69, you are definitely "down a crevasse" PM one of the admins to get it sorted. For some reason they've been unable to get a response from your registered e-mail account.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
mr_magicfingers,

Use a limo service from Vancouver if you can, it's no more expensive and rather more fun.

DEFINITELY!! We got a big GMC thing pick us up. It was great because the weather was so good we stopped 3 times to take pictures on the sea to sky highway. Its really beautiful and not having to wait at pick up points etc is a real bonus.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnowMonkey69, we're a party of 4 - just turned 60 - with one non skier - looking for self-catering in Whistler for upto 14 days in late February. It will be my first time outside Europe. Any tips, particularly on location? Knee damage and experience probably means we'll be on piste most of the time.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Do not use a stretch limo on the Sea to Sky - no better recipe for travel sickness I can think of (& I've ridden Bolivian and Nepalese trucks and buses).
snow report
fatbob, anything to do with the mini-bar? Wink
snow conditions
Colin Bell wrote:
SnowMonkey69, we're a party of 4 - just turned 60 - with one non skier - looking for self-catering in Whistler for upto 14 days in late February. It will be my first time outside Europe. Any tips, particularly on location? Knee damage and experience probably means we'll be on piste most of the time.

Anywhere on the core central bus loop is convenient e.g. Stoney Creek opposite the marketplace. You don't need to be right on the lift plaza. Alternatively if you don't need the most raging nightlife options every night something within walking distance of creekside gondy works fine and makes for quicker uplift in the am.
ski holidays
fatbob, I don't have the strongest stomach in the world, particularly facing backwards but didn't experience any issues... Other than Canadian beer...
snow conditions
fatbob, SnowMonkey69, Delta Whistler Village Suites.........perhaps?
snow report
Arno wrote:

Didn't have a steadier of Pisco on the Bolivian lorry I admit. Have found stretch limos uncomfortable whenever I've been in them - fortunately I don't have to attend many hen nights.
ski holidays
Delta is very close IIRC and quite decent so would be fine.
latest report
Coast on Blackcomb, ski in ski out on the free bus route, breakfast inc. does studios and apartments 1, 2 bedrooms.
Allura and owners direct web sites are a good starting place if you want an apartment. I would not take a non skier to Creekside but the apartment are ok just not much to do.
Aspins, ski in ski out on the "benchlands" bus stop out side no night life, Marquise is accross the road from Aspins so short walk to slope same bus stop. Stayed in both these building would stay there again.
Stayed in the Westin, Pan Pacific, and Holiday Inn, Legends and Evolution in creekside.
snow report
I'm with joneski, the Coast Blackcomb suites are in a great location. Ski to and from the door into Blackcomb and 1st lift out in the morning. Breakfast included.

We've done the Chateau, Sundial & Westin. Only one I wouldn't return to is the Westin.
latest report
I'm with joneski, the Coast Blackcomb suites are in a great location. Ski to and from the door into Blackcomb and 1st lift out in the morning. Breakfast included.

We've done the Chateau, Sundial & Westin. Only one I wouldn't return to is the Westin.
latest report
i,m already booked for coast blackcomb with inghams , flying out fro lhr on 25th march 14 . two weeks of skiing bliss .
snowheads meet up ? who else is going ! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Arno wrote:

Didn't have a steadier of Pisco on the Bolivian lorry I admit. Have found stretch limos uncomfortable whenever I've been in them - fortunately I don't have to attend many hen nights.

Hence why we went in a massive GMC truck thing (4 of us and ski gear), much more comfortable, especially as I called shotgun Laughing

As for stretches, I only tend to get them home, after my 'performance' NehNeh
snow conditions
Whistler 8th march until 15th last week of a 4 week trip! !! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
f1l,

I overlap with you (15-29 March). Late March is usually a good time to go.

mr_magicfingers, You'll find W-B an excellent place if you're starting to play off-piste.

+1 for the limo or taxi transfer: In the past we've used Whistler taxi for the trip from the airport.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy