Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif or Portes Du Soleil

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked flights for 8 guys (all 35 - 45 year olds), for our yearly ski trip and was looking for peoples thoughts on going to either Grand Massif or Portes Du Soleil. We've done both Morzine and Flaine before, but was thinking of other resorts in the GM or just head back to Morzine again?

We don't really need much in the way of nightlife as half the guys have flaked out after the chalet meal. It's more the skiing we are after!

We did consider further afield resorts but the convenience of only being an hour from Geneva for a weekend break is hard to beat, as we really want to ski the afternoon on the first day.

Your are very much welcomed.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We rented a base in Les Carroz (so GM) for a couple of seasons, and it was uber convenient. If you're self driving from the airport then it's dead easy and I would guess the parking and access to slopes on the first afternoon are easier than in Morzine. Lovely tree lined slopes above the village, and far more attractive than Flaine. A private minibus transfer is the best way to get there if you're not self driving as the ski bus involves a change en route. Try The Milk Hotel for a half board option, right on the red piste just above the village and the main gondola, nice grub, friendly, good lounge, good bar overlooking the slopes and a great breakfast (we have stayed there for a couple of nights since our rental seasons and really liked it, and we have also enjoyed some good lunches there). Trendy decor but comfy. Catered chalets in Les C are fewer and further away from the slopes mostly, and I guess will be less likely to do a weekend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What time of the year are you going?

I love skiing both the GM and the PDS. For powder the GM is probably better as it doesn't get skied out too quickly. If you are going late in the season then it is nice to have Avoriaz as a snow sure option though.

In the Grand Massif I'd have a look at Les Carroz, nice ski back to the village and the resort itself is lovely. Just enough bars and restaurants as well. It also has a nice new pool if you fancy a relaxing swim.
Samoens is lovely as well but not everyone is a fan of the gondola ride out of the village.

I also love Morzine, it is just a bigger resort but the facilities are great and skiing is top. Have a look at www.skiology.co.uk - they have chalets in both Les Carroz and Morzine in great locations and the food is fantastic as well!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
reded78, hmmm, I would submit that if you know where you are going, the h.p. in the PDS is better and I think Morzine has more to offer than any of the GM villages.

But I like the GM too...

i have a perception that the are more idiots skiing too fast dor their ability in the GM or that maybe just down to the ridiculous chicane and cross roads above Flaine.

Flaibe also boasts some fine holes. Which are to be avoided.

Gers however easily knocks anything in the PDS into a cocked hat for fun if powdery or icy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi all, many thanks for your response. We are going on the 8th - 12th January. Flights are booked to Geneva as timings were good and a couple of people flying from different locations.

As mentioned by Dia_FindTransfers, and others I've also enjoyed both the PDS and GM, was just looking for other peoples opinions. The one thing I wasn't so keen on in the PDS was the (what seemed) relatively high number of flattish links between areas, which I didn't notice so much but it's been a couple of years since I've been there.

I'll have a look into accommodation options for Les Carroz as with the decision being so close between PDS and GM finding a good deal on accommodation may just swing the decision.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"Flattish links" Puzzled

One of several Les Gets links (in both directions) is flattish, but can be avoided... Can't think of any others...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going back to Avoriaz there is a flat one but it's not too bad.

under a new name is right about the main route in to Flaine, it can be pretty manic but you are not going at a busy time so it should be fine. I also agree with Gers being just amazing when it's open!

If you are after a cheap deal in Les Carroz try these guys http://www.lescarrozchalets.com
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Going back to Avoriaz there is a flat one but it's not too bad.

under a new name is right about the main route in to Flaine, it can be pretty manic but you are not going at a busy time so it should be fine. I also agree with Gers being just amazing when it's open!

If you are after a cheap deal in Les Carroz try these guys http://www.lescarrozchalets.com
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks again guys. I'll check out Carrox Chalets.

Yeah the other flat(ish) bit I was thinking about was the run into Avoriaz from Morzine. I did enjoy Morzine but does not quite wet my whistle as much as Espace Killy / Three Valleys etc but the convenience of being able to ski the first afternoon does help. I'll discuss with the group what they fancy, but the decision is normally left to me so lets see......
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
reded78, "into Avoriaz from Morzine"?

Superficially, you must have an interesting take on gravity but if you mean the intermediate one from SuperMorzine, hmmm, ok, I sort if see what you mean but frankly I can't see why it worries you. The 3Vs are much flatter, generally. Or so I hear.

I am hugely biased, but having spent an inordinate amount of time around the PDS I find it hard to beat. Other than if you're seeking out that Francophone ambience and don't want to be hearing estuary English all the time. Mind you, there are a few geezers in Samöens as well Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, the only flats I can think of in the limited PDS I have done is Bruyere from Les Gets to Morzine, but as under a new name said that can be avoided. The Avoriaz return from SM lift I dont think is too bad. Other than that the odd section on some blues flatten out (I think Abricotine maybe could be considered flat and retour chavanette) but generally IMO nowhere near as bad as Kitz in places, but then it depends I guess how fast you are going before getting to said flats!

Good luck finding your resort, I would go with Morzine personally Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
reded78, You've skiied both areas: Just a reminder that the PDS, especially Avoriaz has longer queues and is generally busier. Flaine's enjoyed new lifts etc and a lot o the GM has been upgraded. Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have an Apt in Flaine & ski the GM all the time it is really quick to get to from Geneva (although we always drive) the skiing is great & if the snow is good enough so is the off piste, it has arguable the best snow record in the French Alps due to its proximity to Mt Blanc, I know Les Carroz well its a lovely village with great skiing easy to get to all the other areas of the GM as well, funny thing is that everybody from the other resorts head for Flaine as they all think the snows better, seasoners go the other way Laughing because the other parts of the mountain are quite!! as everybody is in Flaine Madeye-Smiley

We love the GM, skied pretty much everywhere else, I also like the PDS & have a lot of friends with places i the region, down side is it does get busy at peak periods a lot more than Flaine does, although that is changing a little bit.

Good luck with your choice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Jivebaby, and Mutley, thanks again. Hopefully either place we go should be pretty quiet during our visit, and yes I have enjoyed both areas just really looking for other peoples thoughts. Having stayed in Flaine twice, if we do choose the GM then I think we'll try one of the villages again for a change of secenery and so we can get catered chalet (which as a group we definitely enjoy over apartments).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a whole season in PDS and don't recall and terrible flats and i'm a boarder by nature. My tip if you do find them is to GO FASTER wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy