Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boredsurfin's Winter tyre thread

Poster: A snowHead
Buy some, they are really good Toofy Grin

Quote:
WINTER TYRES – WHAT ARE THEY?

'Winter tyres' are specially designed to deal with colder, wet, icy and snowy conditions. They are not specific to snow and ice – so if you think you don’t need them in the UK, think again! They greatly improve braking distances on wet or icy roads as soon as the temperature drops under 7 degrees C – i.e. between October and March each year.

What is different about winter tyres?
•Winter tyres are produced from a different mixture of materials than standard/summer tyres. Winter tyres have more natural rubber in them, and this is less affected by cold temperatures. It doesn’t harden, and has better flexibility and grip in cold temperatures.
•The pattern (or ‘tread’) on winter tyres has more grooves than standard tyres. This means more snow sticks to the tyre, which actually helps improve grip in snow as snow sticks easily to snow. This helps the tyre attain better grip.
•Winter tyres also have a higher number of ‘sipes’ (little channels or slots) creating many biting edges that lock into icy and snowy roads, thus helping your vehicle brake and accelerate.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 6-09-13 11:06; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101970&highlight=
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a little disturbed (although not surprised) by the lack of apostrophe in the title.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, Ok just for you!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never too early to start talking winter tyres. My current set are going into their second year and I know the level of grip will have diminished. Are there any support groups I can go to?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good article from Which magazine on winter tyres here
http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/car-tyres/winter-tyres/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just spent £500 on some winterxtream things, they are sat on top of my ebay wheels at £150. Just trying to work out how the flip I will fit them all in the car to take to the fitter...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am probably buying a new car in next couple of weeks - current model needs too much money spent to get through MOT. I wonder if I can get winter tyres fitted at no extra cost? I would run them all year round, I think - CBA storing and paying to change them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some questions:
- is there a place in Calais where everyone stops and puts them on?
- what if your car only has three wheels?
- has anyone here ever backed a lovely winter tyre-shaped cake? Please post up the recipe.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
harrim51 wrote:
Just spent £500 on some winterxtream things, they are sat on top of my ebay wheels at £150. Just trying to work out how the flip I will fit them all in the car to take to the fitter...

Mobile tyre fitter?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, -No you need to put them on before September just in case - about a month after your Mum puts the sprouts on for Christmas Lunch.
-If your car only has three wheels you shouldn't leave Peckham
- Easier to post a picture of your cat sitting by your shiny new tyres.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 6-09-13 9:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells
Thanks, will look into that, hadn't thought of the room it takes up when they are off the wheels.
Loving the smell in the garage at the moment...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't forget the hi viz vests, one for each tyre.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albinomountainbadger, it's a good job you're here. But you forgot the new law - Attach breathalyser to each air valve and don't set off unless they all pass.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some useful advice on Winter tyres from National here
http://www.national.co.uk/information/winter-tyres.aspx
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, yes I heard about that law but as it's foreign I've decided to ignore it. I clearly know better and any intelligent judge - even a foreign one - will see that and promptly reprimand the authorities for inconveniencing me.
snow conditions
You guys actually pay people to change your tyres?? Or are they not already on the rims or something complicated?

pam w, have you driven with winter tyres in summer before? Personally I don't like it, you have to be much more careful going into corners and they really squeal.
snow report
clarky999, I think they weren't on the rims above. Of course I wouldn't pay a fitter if I had two sets, that's what I have a husband for. wink
snow conditions
Hells Bells, Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

You guys actually pay people to change your tyres?? Or are they not already on the rims or something complicated?

we did originally have two on rims, and that was very easy - even I can change a tyre. However, having four, and no rims, makes things more difficult!

Interesting what you say about driving on them in summer. I've often driven back from the Alps on them, in bright April sunshine, and not noticed any problems, but then being an elderly lady I don't normally squeal round corners anyway. wink Most comments on here have found they are OK to use in summer. But all that is a second-order question for me at present, as I have to sort out what car to buy!
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:

I have to sort out what car to buy

Go on, start a thread you know you want to snowHead
ski holidays
pam w, makes more sense!! I've only seen the winter tyres thing from my gf's family's perspective, they all have 8 sets of wheels per car so it's very simple to switch over. Maybe that's unusual?

April is still often relatively cool and we still have the winter wheels on at that point. Come mid-June and 35º temps it's more of an issue (and then you may well find yourself squealing round corners! Laughing )
ski holidays
Storing sets of wheels needs careful thought as they can't just be left in a corner of a garage or outside.
snow conditions
clarky999,
Quote:

they all have 8 sets of wheels per car so it's very simple to switch over. Maybe that's unusual?

I would think thats very unusual even over there. Madeye-Smiley

shouldnt ski bags be fitted with winter tyres too ?
snow conditions
Don't forget the self-tensioning snow chains.............. and the thong.
snow report
Quote:

Go on, start a thread you know you want to

nope. The SH petrolheads would laugh at my criteria, one crucial one being it HAS to have a spare wheel. I have a numb brain from reading the brochure for the Ford Grand C-Max; such a lot of electronic gizmos (including one which steers the car into a parking space for you Shocked ). So much to go wrong!
ski holidays
Great tread... sorry I mean thread...
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Storing sets of wheels needs careful thought as they can't just be left in a corner of a garage or outside.

Like a car?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Black rubber round ones are best
ski holidays
pam w,

I sympathize. I've got a Galaxy - also no spare tyre. Just a tube of squirty rubber stuff under my seat Shocked
ski holidays
Apart from wearing out in double quick time if used in the summer I am pretty sure that winter tyres provide far less grip in the wet than 'normal' tyres when temperatures are abive 7 degrees. On balance, if you aren't going to change your tyres over twice a year then it must make sense from every perspective to stick to normal tyres.
snow report
hi,
my tip on this is to check a well known internet auction site periodically.
for example, i got a set for my pug, 6 & 7mm tread on steel wheels, delivered for £150.
just bolt them on when its time to.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Apart from wearing out in double quick time if used in the summer I am pretty sure that winter tyres provide far less grip in the wet than 'normal' tyres when temperatures are abive 7 degrees. On balance, if you aren't going to change your tyres over twice a year then it must make sense from every perspective to stick to normal tyres.

Actually the difference in wet grip for winter tyres at summer temperatures is less than you might expect - about 10% worse than summer tyres according to this article. I recall (but can't find the reference) that one tyre manufacturer was quoted on here as saying that if you were only to fit one type of tyre to your car all the year round you were better off fitting winter tyres...
snow report
Agree with Alastair Pink. I did a snow driving course with the Swiss Auto Club and they say the loss of performance in warmer weather is much less than the gain in colder and snowy/icy. Apparently some large Swiss companies (Swisspost?) now stay on winter tyres all year and reckon it is cheaper in the long run. I've driven on snow tyres until June with no noticeable loss in anything.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:

They simply don't wear out in double quick time though, that's a myth. Leave mine on year round and I get same miles out of a set that I would expect from summer tyres and, not that it's too important, they cost less like-for-like. And, if anything, I think they are grippier.
ski holidays
My P6000 summer tyres hardly lasted all, and got replaced 2x in the first 50,000km, both times an MOT advisory (just in limits, but not enough to last).
My Conti WInter Sport tyres have been on since the 5th Birthday Bash! Still well within the German tread depth limits which are much more strict than UK ones.
Will swap to new Winter tyres this year though. My tyres will probably end up in UK as part-worn tyres, and get someone 10K miles or so use.

The double quick wear rate is complete rubbish. Maybe it's true for a genuine snow tyre. But all of the "winter" tyres that people talk about are actually "all season" with the M+S and mountain+snowflake symbol.
snow conditions
Instructional yoitube video on winter driving, from our Russian friends.

http://youtube.com/v/dGXldj9zBc0
ski holidays
Just goes to show that if you do leave enough room MOSTLY you avoid the worst of the incident .
snow report
Friend of mine runs winter tyres all year round. When you look at the number of days that our climate actually exceeds the recommended temperature range for winter tyres, it doesn't seem like a bad idea.
ski holidays
I rabn winters all year round when I had a Jarguar, what was noticeable was the vast improvement in the UK when the road was cold and greasy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy