Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet hire for long weekend - mid January?

Poster: A snowHead
A friend is celebrating being a father again (twins this time!) by going on a short skiing trip away with the lads. A long weekend, from Wednesday to Sunday. He is a sport billy rather than a drinker, so prefers skiing / cycling trips away with the lads, rather than drinking / clubbing.

We could go to a hotel, but on these kinds of trips we usually hang around gabbing to each other until the early hours, so we were thinking of trying to get a catered chalet for 4 nights.

I know chalets prefer bookings by the week, but as this is kind of off-peak (we are thinking of 10 - 14 Jan), I was thinking there might be something available in France / Switzerland / Austria?

Anyone got any ideas of who I should check with? Or are we best leaving it until the week before and see who has availability?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

A friend is celebrating being a father again (twins this time!) by going on a short skiing trip away with the lads

Laughing and of course he'll be taking the twins with him?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How many lads in the group?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

A friend is celebrating being a father again (twins this time!) by going on a short skiing trip away with the lads

Laughing and of course he'll be taking the twins with him?
of course... not Laughing

He already has two daughters and he thinks the twins are also girls (they are due in March), so on the one hand he's looking forward to his daughters looking after him in his old age, and on the other he is feeling in need of male company for a change, so his missus has given him a weekend pass... and he has given this a liberal interpretation snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cacciatore wrote:
How many lads in the group?
just putting some numbers together at the moment (subject to permission from the various "bosses"), but we think its going to be around 8-10
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

he thinks the twins are also girls (they are due in March)

Laughing Laughing So the only hard work he's done so far is the fun bit! What'll be his reward when they're actually born? 3 weeks heli-skiing?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sack the Juggler, that's a pretty large group already, never mind odd dates... you might find a hotel a better plan.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From an owner's point of view, there's a point where I'll accept a 1-week booking that effectively wipes out two weeks. Usually, as you indicate, this might be for a quiet period between the school holidays. However, most websites etc. just don't have a mechanisms for reserving anything but Sat-Sat. So this usually means a direct request to the owner or their rental agency. Also, when we use the place ourselves, we obviously don't travel Fri/Sat/Sun so although in the Booking Calendar we have 2 weeks reserved, in reality, half of the first/last week is actually free, so you may strike lucky.

My advice is to choose somewhere you know and then contact some agencies with your request. And/or the local Tourist Office* (some owners only rent via the TO to avoid hefty Agency fees). Offering to pay a full week's rental across the Weekend makes the decision simple for the owner. They don't want to be to-ing and fro-ing negotiating a pro-rata daily rate when you're effectively getting a 50% discount (in their eyes). They can then decide whether 2 weeks at 50% is better than nothing at all. Often, the Agency will lobby on your behalf if they think a discounted rental is better than nothing.

[*Every time I say this, someone posts 'Don't bother with the Tourist Ofice in Chamonix, they're rubbish'. I can only speak for our local TO who are very good]

Just bear in mind that for an owner who's already 'losing' a week's rental income, to then ask for a pro-rata day rate really isn't likely to work.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LaForet wrote:
From an owner's point of view, there's a point where I'll accept a 1-week booking that effectively wipes out two weeks. Usually, as you indicate, this might be for a quiet period between the school holidays. However, most websites etc. just don't have a mechanisms for reserving anything but Sat-Sat. So this usually means a direct request to the owner or their rental agency. Also, when we use the place ourselves, we obviously don't travel Fri/Sat/Sun so although in the Booking Calendar we have 2 weeks reserved, in reality, half of the first/last week is actually free, so you may strike lucky.

My advice is to choose somewhere you know and then contact some agencies with your request. And/or the local Tourist Office* (some owners only rent via the TO to avoid hefty Agency fees). Offering to pay a full week's rental across the Weekend makes the decision simple for the owner. They don't want to be to-ing and fro-ing negotiating a pro-rata daily rate when you're effectively getting a 50% discount (in their eyes). They can then decide whether 2 weeks at 50% is better than nothing at all. Often, the Agency will lobby on your behalf if they think a discounted rental is better than nothing.

[*Every time I say this, someone posts 'Don't bother with the Tourist Ofice in Chamonix, they're rubbish'. I can only speak for our local TO who are very good]

Just bear in mind that for an owner who's already 'losing' a week's rental income, to then ask for a pro-rata day rate really isn't likely to work.

Thanks for that, its good advice, we'll give it a go
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This seems a bit weird, “However, most websites etc. just don't have a mechanisms for reserving anything but Sat-Sat”, as ALL the sites we (/ve) use(d) allow queries on any dates.

AirBnB even sends weird date enquiries for dates where we’ve specifically restricted to Sat-Sat, etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
ALL the sites we (/ve) use(d) allow queries on any dates.

OK, in which case it might be useful to then list them for the OP ..............

Just that's not been my experience, but of course, as an owner, I don't book places much so I'm probably out of date.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We booked through IGOSKI last year (16 of us) for Morzine. Was very impressed with them and the accommodation was more than adequate (in complete contrast to Ski Weekends the year before)

They do Wed to Sun and also the opposite way round which is cheaper. For Morzine for example you fly early Sunday morning and can be on the slopes by lunchtime. Then you get 3 full days before flying back late Wednesday. 3 nights away but 3 1/2 days skiing. This relies on a short transfer so some of the other resorts they offer wouldn't necessarily give same amount of slope time.

I've rebooked for this March (only 12 this time) but they have impressed me every step of the way.

Ski Weekends were OK in terms of organisation but even the rats had abandoned the digs they were so bad Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Sack the Juggler, Look at Chamonix All Year. They do catered chalets for short breaks

https://chamonixallyear.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, too long a list. Many of which we - as vendors - found useless.

Start with AirBnB for apartments, Booking for hotels.

Appreciate that’s not really chalets but that's not my current expertise. In my day it was the back pages of the Observer travel section.

Also - maybe - if Chamonix, www.snostation.com
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a short break in April last year to 'Chalet Mazot' in La Plagne (Les Coches) with mountainsun. They take 7 day bookings and short stay bookings all winter at this Chalet.
It was a fab stay and they do any day arrivals at this chalet and can do complimentary transfers if you time your flights correctly so that they tie-in with the mini-bus at Geneva.
Les Coches is a nice little village with a few places for a beer but is a nice chilled place.
Chalet is position very near to the piste and is one chair lift ride away from the Vanoise express lift so easy to ski/board La Plagne or Les Arcs.
snow conditions
Ski Hame operate some of their chalets on a nightly rather than weekly basis:

http://www.skihame.co.uk/holidays/short_break_flexible_let.htm
latest report
If you want Weds to Sun, then it's worth looking for operators who do Sunday - Sunday chalets, as this would only affect 1 week's bookings. This can vary by resort (i.e. some operators do Sat - Sat in some resorts, or Sun - Sun in others). I'd contact one of the chalet booking agencies as they should have that info - in the past I've found alpineanswers to be pretty good for doing some of the legwork for my more random requests
ski holidays
I arrange a similar long weekend trip every year - currently 16 of us!

We used to go on the first flight Thursday to Last flight on Sunday, we now go late afternoon on the Wednesday to Last flight on Sunday. This gives 4 full days of skiing.

This year we're staying at Hotel Telemark in La Tania - they're happy to accommodate guests on a a nightly basis.
If Portes du Soleil is more your bag then I've used mountainmoments.co.uk based in Montriond who also offer long weekends at certain times in the season.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone, one of the guys just threw Austria into the mix as its easy for him to get to Innsbruck, so I'm going to search a few places over there.
ski holidays
Hi everyone, finally sorted. A mix of skiing abilities has led us to Les Gets. We got a catered chalet for a good price and exclusive use for the dates we wanted and have sorted out flights and transports, so its on!

I've never been before but from Snowheads I've heard its definitely a good ski option.

Now for the non-skiers on the trip, can anyone recommend a suitable bar / club / restaurant for them to while away the hours until we get back, or even a restaurant where they can get to on the slopes for lunch?

Oh, and any evening entertainment tips would also be greatly appreciated snowHead

P.S I'm feeling really lucky at the moment, we are skiing in Are (Sweden) over Christmas with friends and family, then in mid Jan with the lads, then first week in Feb (before the half terms) with my other half (not booked yet). What a fantastic few weeks!
snow report
I had a nice lunch here once : https://www.lagrandeourse.eu/ it was a few years ago, so don't know what it's like now.
ski holidays
Good to hear you’re sorted snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy