Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rationalising the quiver

Poster: A snowHead
Last year I did a season, but not this year.

My season quiver ended as

Liberty LTE (87 under the boot)
Movement Scoop (102)
Liberty Genomes (141)

The thinking was that for the upcoming season I would look at the forecast and then take the scoops and the LTEs if there wasn't going to be much snow, or the scoops and the genomes if there was.

But...

I've pretty much decided that the genomes will have to go. I absolutely loved them, and had some staggering runs on them, but they're such a one trick pony I would often go home at lunchtime on powder days to get my scoops, they won't go through anything, they go over everything, and my god they're terrifying on piste. So and the chances of getting their conditions in a week or two's worth of skiing seems remote, and I'm not prepared to lug them back and forwards for nothing, nor am I prepared to just throw them in the loft on the off chance the snow forecast is epic when I'm heading out. I'd rather they were being skied.

So... To replace the Genomes..... Or stick with the scoops as my powder ski?

Some background - I'm 6'3", but I'm a rake. Mid season I weighed 65 kilos, and I'm all leg, long spindly and not very strong legs. Probably going to be more like 70 with a more office based lifestyle now, but I'm a fan of light floppy skis that my light floppy legs can throw around. I've ditched my Prophet 100s (for sale...) because they were too stiff and I kept going over the front.
I wasn't going to replace them, then I did 1 run on the scoops and bought them. Sensational ski, just perfect for me, but maybe I need a little more in the super deep...

So, the movement flyswatter looks like the perfect answer... Or at 125 is that too fat for a "punter" ski? Would I actually find that any more versatile than the genomes? I also like the look of the crew, but I'm afraid it will be too stiff.

Anything else the panel would recommend?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

So, the movement flyswatter looks like the perfect answer... Or at 125 is that too fat for a "punter" ski? Would I actually find that any more versatile than the genomes? I also like the look of the crew, but I'm afraid it will be too stiff.

Shocked Laughing

I Ski the flyswatters all the time for just about everything!!! they are much softer and have a positive camber under foot with a huge sidecut so on piste they are good as well, its only the really icy stuff they struggle with but they handle this better than most. The crew is stiff and on piste is OK but no fun really where as the flyswatter is lots of fun. If you check out my youtube channel on snowshepherdtv there are loads of video's of the flyswatter in lots of different conditions with both me 50+ and my son using them as are everyday ski.

Yep I get loads of funny looks and comments about them but thats cos I am old LOL

http://youtube.com/v/E7LnowrXo-o&feature=share&list=UUsL-yAhdyZ2AI7mhwWLEKUQ
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see you at 6'3" but at 65 to 70kg I find it hard to believe you need a 125mm waisted ski. I'd expect them to float over everything as your Genomes do.
livetoski, what weight are you?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, the Flyswatter is small when compared to the Genome at 170 x 141 x 156 and stiff! Flyswatter is only 150 x 125 x 145 small turn radius as well as being pretty soft and poppy.

DB, I am usually around 80kg Toofy Grin but my lad during the season is about 72 kg and 6 foot Toofy Grin (no he does not get taller just lighter)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
livetoski, sounds good! I don't know if you've skied them but how much difference in the soft stuff do you think I'd see over the scoops?

Here's a little vid of me if that helps see the sort of skiing I'm doing... Mostly genomes, but the scoops feature at the back end a bit.

http://youtube.com/v/c38BBJWiIyw
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
flaming, The scoop is a good ski, like the flyswatter movement put the off piste freestyle tag on it, but to be fair its more of a fattish park ski than off piste ski, I have tried a few runs on the Scoops the season before last, but like some of the Movement range it was introduced to fill a gap in the fatter freestyle section and actually is more piste park all mountain, even tho I love Movement they do try and fill in the gaps when they don't need to. (PS Scoop not in this years range)

I always go back to the Swatters! They have a smaller turn radius but you can still open them up straight, and in the trees you would find them easier and more fun than either the Genomes or the Scoop.

The other thing is with your height you should be able to bank the fatter skis over much further than your doing in the video (nice vid by the way) which I find easy on the swatters but stuggled doing the same with the Liberty Double Helix.

If your any where near the snow domes of Hemel or MK then give me a shout I have a demo pair your welcome to try?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
livetoski, the fact that they took the scoop out pretty much meant I had to buy one there and then! I liked the Mosquito too, but the scoop just did more for me. Didn't try the flyswatter because I already had the Genomes. Interesting that you rate it as more of a park ski, I bought it to replace my prophets, which were my all mountain ski, but let's just say I had plenty of footage to make the opening of that video from!

Now I'm just wondering if I should replace the genomes at all, or if the scoops would suffice as a punter ski... The whole "n+1" thing has me in it's grip though!

I'm told I have a very fluid style, and I need to be more aggressive, but as I said I have skinny girl legs so it certainly feels pretty aggressive to me! I certainly find the scoops more chuckable, but I'd put that down to the size of the genomes and the fact that the scoops weigh about the same as a bag of crisps.

I'm not too close to the 'domes, but if I'm passing I'll certainly drop you a line, cheers for that!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The genomes are a one trick pony indeed. Have you looked at the Liberty Helix? I used them two years ago for the season and loved them. They now have a tip rocker but its not too dramatic, so can be skiied all over the mountain. Also the Faction CD 3.0 and the Armada TST would be wort a look for an all mountain quiver.

For me the key is not the width but the camber profile. I would not go for a tip and tail rocker for all round use, but a slight tip rocker is worth a look...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flaming wrote:
.....I'm 6'3" but.....Mid season I weighed 65 kilos.....

Shocked

More beer'n'pies needed matey Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowmoment, Helix is a great ski, but it's too similar to the scoop! And the scoop is lighter. It's really an all out powder ski that's not going to kill me in tracked out stuff, or a little bit of piste that I'm looking for. Unlike the Genomes which had a bloody good go!

spyderjon, paragon of virtue me....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flyswatters are fun. Best laffs I've had at Hemel slinging a pair of livetoski's demos about. Tip em and dip em.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PM Gear Bro Fat 187 carbon hybrid

I'm surprised spyderjon, didn't recommend! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Buddy1664 wrote:
PM Gear Bro Fat 187 carbon hybrid

I'm surprised spyderjon, didn't recommend! wink

Almost. I was actually gonna recommend the PM Gear 191 Llasa Fat or the Whitedot Ranger Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not been on the scoops, but another one to throw in that I used last season is the Volkl Mantra. It's a good old positive camber and hence feels long and stable, I would personally buy them, but cant have everything! I wish....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, I'd not heard of PM before. Looks interesting! Slightly worried about the description on their website about them being stiff though. I've learnt that I do not like stiff skis. A fair few people have been suggesting whitedot, and I've had a good look at them in the past. Are they really as good as people say?

Snowmoment, I've skied the mantra. Really didn't like it, just too heavy for me, felt very dead. I'm aware that they're very popular, but just not for me!
snow report
Yes the mantra feels really dull, like its a range rover as opposed to a racing car. I liked that but the Black crows I tried on the same trip were more sensitive, corvus I think
ski holidays
As you like light and softer skis there might be a few skis in this thread that float your boat. (many reviews in the various links)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101619
snow report
flaming, if you decide on Movement, Liberty, faction or Armada let me know and ill help you out with 10% off. Not got Movement or Liberty in yet for 2014 but should not be long. info@snowmoment.co.uk, cheers
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy