Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Book on Avalanche Safety (aimed at skiers)

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Just wondered what books people have read and would recommend?

I have looked for previous threads but have not come across any focused on book discussions, though I am new to snowheads so this could be my mistake.

(Sorry not 100% sure if this is the correct place to post... maybe equipment reviews would be better?).

Thanks,
Jon
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bruce Tremper - Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain. Best book, IMO, as your first read about avalanche safety.

I have a spare copy if you're interested. £5 including postage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, I would be interested if the OP is not...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, if Jon1231 doesn't take you up on your offer, please may I do so? (No need to post, I'm seeing you on Monday.) But first dibs to Jon1231, obviously.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blimey, stampede ensues!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Tremper book and Powderguide www.powderguide.com are very good
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to add to the list.....

Jimmy Odens book freeskiing is essential reading for aspiring ski bums.
Other books go into more detail about snow science.
However when skiing off piste there is more to know than just avalanches.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just buy an ABS pack NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, Laughing

I'm relatively new to taking off-piste seriously. Allen & Mike's Avalanche Book is very readible and brilliantly illustrated.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In addition I like Avalanche by robert bolognesi, focuses more on risk assessment rather than science

weclome to SH's !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Powderguide www.powderguide.com are very good

Seconded on this one. There is no other translation of the 3 x 3 or reduction methods easily available other than basic stuff on the Ortovox website and stuff like that.

I liked Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain but have not actually found it that helpful for making decisions on what to do or where to ski. For that I've found the Jimmy Oden book and the Powderguide item much more useful.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
Just buy an ABS pack NehNeh

+1 .... And some REALLY fat skis. And three Go-Pros. And a harness. Most essential: don't bother to learn how to use any of the above.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gorilla, i read SAAT first for the theory, then Powderguide helped translate that theory into whether to go or not
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flowa wrote:
Allen & Mike's Avalanche Book is very readible and brilliantly illustrated.

This is a great little book. Recently published (in December 2012) and so I don't know if many snowheads have picked it up yet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

gorilla, i read SAAT first for the theory, then Powderguide helped translate that theory into whether to go or not

As did I. Just that you can end up having read SAAT with a thorough knowledge of how faceting manfests and why and absolutely no idea of whether or not the slope in front of you is going to try and kill you.
snow conditions
I thought Tremper's book had a lot of very practical stuff in it, especially in relation to terrain management, hazard evaluation, route finding and human factors, as well as the snow science. I highly rate Tremper, and a lot of what he says is echoed in the AIARE syllabus. By the way, in addition to books the AIARE site is an excellent place to look too (http://avtraining.org/).
snow report
sah, maybe I should give it another read but it was quite a lot of info to absorb and sort for a relative noob like I was when I read it
Doing the AIARE level 1 a couple of years ago, it was interesting just how much emphasis there was on route finding and terrain management. absolutely rightly IMV
ski holidays
It's not a "light weight" book by any means, but there are chapters on all those topics. I think mine is the second edition, maybe some stuff changed? Actually, looking at the description: "This new edition of Bruce Tremper's seminal book is organised according to the structure of the American Avalanche Association classes and all chapters have been updated with the most recent data and techniques", so I guess it's no surprise it matches the course:-)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 4-09-13 16:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

I highly rate Tremper

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good book. I think he is also stronger on everything other than decision making than the two I suggested. But what the book doesn't do is give you a decision making framework. One of the reasons I think 3 x 3 and the reduction method work are that they provide structure and hence remove the human tendency to underweight negative information. They also provide a clear yes or no decision.

Of course, just using the tool is not enough, which is why SAAT is a necessary read. I just think there are other places to start.
snow report
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

I highly rate Tremper

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good book. I think he is also stronger on everything other than decision making than the two I suggested. But what the book doesn't do is give you a decision making framework. One of the reasons I think 3 x 3 and the reduction method work are that they provide structure and hence remove the human tendency to underweight negative information. They also provide a clear yes or no decision.

Not sure how it compares with the others but chapter 7 is all about decision making frameworks - "Avaluator", "ALPTRUTh", Fesler & Fredston's checklist (come to think of it their book is excellent too!) and Atwater-LaChapelle checklist all get discussed.

Quote:
Of course, just using the tool is not enough, which is why SAAT is a necessary read. I just think there are other places to start

I'm sure the other books are good too, I might have to try and borrow copies to see how they compare Happy
snow report
Sorry to rant on about Tremper, it looks like he has a new book out soon too - "Avalanche Essentials: A Step by Step System for Safety and Survival". Publication date is 31 October.

Not sure if it is an update to his original, it sounds more like a new book focusing on exactly the issues gorilla, arno and others allude too around developing a system to be safe rather than dwelling on snow science. I'll probably get a copy so I'll report back.
ski holidays
Quote:

Not sure how it compares with the others but chapter 7 is all about decision making frameworks - "Avaluator", "ALPTRUTh", Fesler & Fredston's checklist (come to think of it their book is excellent too!) and Atwater-LaChapelle checklist all get discussed.

Fair enough - that's not in my edition. I'm obviously out of date.
ski holidays
Quote:

Powderguide www.powderguide.com are very good

How is it helpful to anyone who doesn't read German??? Is there an English translation/section of the site?
snow report
There is an English book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powderguide-Managing-Avalanche-Tobias-Kurzeder/dp/0972482733/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378313246&sr=8-3&keywords=powderguide&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
I would vote for Bruce Tremper as well. I can relate what he says to what you see on the mountain, whereas other books are more theoretical. Theory is all very well but it leaves you wondering what you are actually supposed to do about it when skiing.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Thanks Rob, I'll take the book off you. YHM

I really like the look of Jimmy Oden's free skiing, the powerguide also looks good... might just have to get both. The cover of "Allen and Mike's Avalanche Book: A Guide to Staying Safe in Avalanche Terrain" doesn't really instil confidence in its seriousness... but I guess you should never judge a book by its cover.
ski holidays
Jon1231, understand your concern about the cover of A&M's book but hope you'll give it a try too. Seems like me and Elston are the only ones who have read it so far (on this thread at any rate but it was only published at the end of last year so if people already have a book they wouldn't necessarily spot a new one in the market) and we think it's brilliant. We've got other books but they're really dry. The approach A&M take is very consumable.

The topic is serious but that doesn't mean learning about it has to be boring.
latest report
Quote:

Allen & Mike's Avalanche Book is very readible and brilliantly illustrated.

+1 Great books, I got the telemark book 6-7 years ago and now I have the Backcountry/Avalanche/Glacial travel titles as well. They aim to be practical rather than overly scientific.

The Bruce Temper book is first class though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just don't read too many avalanche books. You will get freaked out. A bit like watching air crash investigations...
snow conditions
"Avalanche accidents in Canada" Is a good book to learn from past accidents. Avalanche professionals present the facts of 105 avalanches case studies providing all the factors resulting in the accidents and lessons learnt.

http://www.avalanche.ca/caa/publications/avalanche-accidents[/url]
snow conditions
"Avalanche accidents in Canada" Is a good book to learn from past accidents. Avalanche professionals present the facts of 105 avalanches case studies providing all the factors resulting in the accidents and lessons learnt.

http://www.avalanche.ca/caa/publications/avalanche-accidents[/url]
ski holidays
As a place to start I'd recommend 'Free skiing' by Jimmy Oden. It also covers general back country subjects including navigation, rope work, first aid, search etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Skiing-How-Adapt-Mountain/dp/9163313138/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378624324&sr=8-1&keywords=freeskiing&tag=amz07b-21

A lovely book which makes the subject accessible to all.
snow report
I've got Wayne Watsons book (Alpine Experience in Vd'I) - Off Piste (not sure it's still available ... think not) - it's good.
And Jimmy Odens book which is also good but quite heavy on the theory .... and would be better with more photos and less drawings !
I'd also get the detailed os maps and guide books (Vamos, Les Cles group etc) for the areas you are skiing .... they can be really useful.
snow conditions
There are so many books on this subject it is hard to know where to start.

Bruce Tremper's book is excellent, but like so many avalanche books it is incredibly detailed. If you want to know the basics, this may well fry your brain. In which case, I would recommend something simpler like Roberto Bolognesi's "Avalanche" - so small you can actually put it in your pocket and refer to it in the cafe while you're having lunch.

I would also recommend Allen and Mike's Avalanche Book as another easy to read (and understand!) publication.

Once you've got the basics, then move onto the more advanced stuff. This all needs to be done while also spending time in the mountains. If you can't actually see the medium and the environment being discussed, then a lot of it really won't make sense to you.

In addition to reading about it, taking a practical course will hopefully make sense of all the theory.

Hope that helps, and stay safe this winter
snow report
Just to add a few more to the mix.

Snow sense, by Jill Fredston & Doug Fesler covers the basics without getting lost in the science.

Secrets of the Snow; Visual clues to avalanche and ski conditions, by Edward R. LaChapelle. As the title says what to look out for.

A Chance in a million? Scottish Avalanches, by Bob Barton and Blyth Wright. These are the people who set up the Scottish Avalanche Information Service.

Avalanche safety for skiers and climbers, by Tony Daffern. This is getting a bit old now some of the information such as avalanche beacons is out of date now but the basics are still relevant.

The Avalanche handbook, by David McClung & Peter Schaerer. This one goes into the sicence very deeply, probably far deeper than most of us need to.

The first two are very good for someone wanting to learn the basics without being blinded by science there both small booklets rather than weighty tomes. The Scottish avalanche book goes into things in more depth but is written in an easy to understand fashion, the last two and the Bruce Tremper book are much more in depth science based.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy