Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Right on cue....another shocking weekend forecast. The job is off - again, for about the fifth time this winter.

Got a day off work on Wed. So it goes without saying that the forecast is windy all week as well. This is really wearing thin now.....Don't remember a winter like it for down days and weekend write-offs Mad.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nelbert75 wrote:
Glad you had a good couple of days @d. I fear that's now the end of your skiing on this break.

Very prophetic Nelbert! Glencoe stormbound this morning & closed all day.
Disappointed but at least I had two great days. Thanks to all the fantastic staff at the mountain & the Kings House over the road. Loved every minute of it & hope I can get back asap.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also drove past the lecht today which looked in a very sorry state; desperately needs some snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fingers crossed Cairngorm lasts another month, me and the kids are booked into Aviemore youth hostel the week before Easter (as a lack of job means no trip to the Alps) in the hope of some skiing! Still at least I cancel up to 72hrs before arrival and it'll only cost me £24 if the snow has gone and the forcast looks like a few days in the Highlands is a bad plan!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davkt, I reckon you'll be fine....I've skied mid may in cairngorm years ago and they had less depth than now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It could be a great weekend coming up, light winds, fresh snow Thursday into Friday and a good chance of sunshine. But could harnesses and rescue gear be required for inbounds Scottish skiing this weekend ? Apparently, a 10 meter plumb rope didn't even touch the bottom in this schrund that's opened up on Glencoe's Spring Run Shocked ...

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A Pow Wow!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glencoe yesterday and Nevis today. A fabulous weekend's sking. Alps, go eat your heart out. Cool

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157642815179475/with/13366321795/

Front of the mountain, Goose before it was completely tracked out ...

Front of the mountain, Ben Nevis backdrop ...

Back of the mountain, Chancer, here we come ...

Back of the mountain, our tracks off Climbers Col ...

Back of the mountain, Dave A opens up a virgin Summit Gully ...

Back of the mountain, Craig in the Summit Coire goodness ...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks wonderful, though not eating my heart out, I'm more than happy with 40cms powder yesterday and we've probably had the same again overnight. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
waynos, I have 6 days skiing based at Ischgl w/c 13th April so I'm really pleased to hear that. Little Angel Everything had come together to make it particularly wonderful to be skiing in Scotland yesterday though and while the group I was skiing with are regular Alpine skiers too, we all agreed that conditions felt as 'Alpine' as the best days we've ever had in the Alps Cool. The run down the wide gully, through Summit Coire and back to the front of the hill through deep, fresh powder all the way is the kind of wonderful off-piste adventure I've paid top dollar to Alpine guides for. To do it in our own British mountains, with mates who've texted or rung you the night before, and with ski lift assistance too is just sublime and unbeatable.

Oh, and there were none of those aggressive toe-skinners that you get in the Alps either. wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 24-03-14 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moffatross, looks fantastic, I don't suppose BraveHeart ran did it?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, naturally not ... buried again Toofy Grin However the Rob Roy T-bar was running and with the amazing snow cover in the backs, so long as you aim to stay above about BH's tower 2 as you go through Coire Dubh, there are any number of ways to traverse around to uplift again with minimal effort en route.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, Looks amazing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fantastic pics ross.

A couple from a blissfully quiet Glencoe yesterday.

the whole mountain is still ski anywhere. I've never seen so much snow in the Spring run.

I went hiking up to find some fresh powder.

Main basin is totally loaded. The increasing wind made it an easy decision to ski from mid point.

Still digging the t-bar out for access to the upper mountain. I believe this is open today.

Sweet sweet day Very Happy
snow report
some stunning pics on here - are the lifts likely to be turning over May Day bank holiday?
latest report
Arno, it generally goes that if there's snow, then Glencoe would usually offer uplift, same with the gorm. Too early to say though.
ski holidays
Nice day for it, shoogly I'm liking the look of Rannoch Glades and having the basin to yourself must have been cool. Cool I see that they've run a digger under the Cliffhanger chair again. We were having to lift our feet on Saturday for about 50 metres ... That single man chair felt more like a draglift over that stretch !! Laughing Hope we get some turns in together again soon.
snow report
So looks like it's going to get a bit warmer this weekend, but it looks like it might be quite nice (depending on what the wind does).
snow report
A few pics from CairnGorm on Friday, turned out to be a nice and Sunny afternoon! Must be the Californian weather I smuggled home in my bag! Toofy Grin

^Boarder on the Cas T-bar going up a Cas Gunbarrel that is still filled beyond the brim.

^Excellent cover and fresh snow up in the Top Basin, might get a bit sticky here tomorrow when it turns milder.

^A selection of Kickers in the Ptarmigan Park. Some small rollers, berms and a couple of novice ride on boxes in the Cas Shred mid mountain, in the Cas Boulderfield.

Lots more Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=983

Yet more here: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3861
ski holidays
Think I was a week too late. Snow was very wet at Glencoe today and the visibility was pretty poor. Oh well, next time!
ski holidays
Superb weekend at Glenshee. The sun came out both days and still a huge amount of snow in corie fionn. Acres of snow for everyone and fresh tracks all day yesterday if you wanted it. Really chilled and friendly atmosphere from all the staff. The shame is where was everyone ? £25 for endless skiing all day, what a bargain.
snow conditions
I've not been up this weekend but the weather is pretty strange. Clagged in yet windy, cold in Glasgow yet seems to be thawing in the mountains. Very strange set up...
snow report
Thinking of a spur of the moment trip to Aviemore middle of next week. Is it likely to be worth it ? Bear in mind we are coming from south of England
ski holidays
Anyone about Tues, Wed, Thurs ? We're up in Fort William so hope to score some runs at Glencoe or Nevis. Maybe Cairngorm if push comes to shove.
snow report
Glenshee's last day today according to their facebook page. Means I will have to head west I guess (which I've really wanted to do since moving back to Scotland 7 years ago).
latest report
How's Scotland looking ATM? Is it worth a later trip up at the end of April? Will much be open? I know a weeks is a long time in Scottish ski conditions, and a month is longer, but is the snow likely to last? Where is the best resort to go for on current conditions?
ski holidays
dsoutar, I was skiing at Cairngorm today and was shocked at the snow loss since last week, was told a lot was lost Saturday night. That said there is still good skiing on the White Lady and Cas, the Ptarmigan and Ciste
tows are still running and the snow is good but to get to the Ciste tow you have to go down the Ptarmigan bowl the fairway has only patches left, the snow was soft but not slushy.
There is supposed to be snow over the next couple of days, is it worth coming all that way only you can decide.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any updates on Scottish conditions? It's gone very quiet on here?
latest report
Was at Cairngorm again today Ricklovesthepowder, and there is still good spring skiing on the White Lady, Cas and Ptarmigan bowl, the train is doing mid station stops as there is no snow on the lower slopes.
Weather wasn't great at first with some snow showers but it cleared up in the afternoon. Would expect Glencoe and Nevis Range to be similar but maybe someone else can confirm, Glenshee is closed.
snow report
larry1950, thanks. Thinking of a last minute trip up to Scotland. Skied cairngorm and glencoe before. Never skied Nevis, is it worth the extra hour drive from Manchester?
snow report
I'll be heading up to Glencoe for the weekend of the 26th, as that's when the Coe Cup has been rescheduled for. Still plenty of snow at the Coe,
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, It shouldn't take an extra hour to Nevis, Cairngorm is a lot further north.
snow report
Sorry, I mean Nevis is another hour north of glencoe.
latest report
40 minutes at most imho
ski holidays
One of those fantastic Sunny fun spring days at Glencoe today, the forecast is more of the same for Tuesday. Generally decent forecast this week, but Wednesday looks rather blowy - could affect at least some uplift, but should be dry. Looks like a few snow showers around Thursday before things settle down again, but will that forecast hold - this evening Easter Weekend looks fairly promising, but over the past week the models have chucked out every thing from a BBQ holiday weekend to a new Ice Age !!

^Corner of Mugs Alley, huge cover on the mid and upper mountain.

^Why they call it the Spring Run.

Still a massive depth of snow on Meall a' Bhuiridh above 2400ft, lots of fairly unusual options for going between the main runs still available. Only exception is the lower more exposed Plateau area, it's basically gone so Mugs Alley is the only green run left, but it's about as easy as it gets off the Cliffhanger Chair at present. Plateau Poma is running for access to the main area though, on the way back down at the end of the day the right most fork on Old Mugs Alley takes you to the beginner rope tow area, 3-5min walk from there to the Access Chair down the path. Don't let that put you off, there's still mind boggling snow depths on various parts of the mountain.

Full Report: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=988
ski holidays
Another beautiful morning, if you can get to Nevis, CairnGorm or Glencoe for the afternoon, then it looks like a good one. All three are clear with good sunny spells at present.

^Glencoe

^CairnGorm

snowHead
ski holidays
Glencoe served up another spring cracker on Tuesday and it's looking not bad this morning too! Bit more hazy and expected to be rather overcast rather than wall to wall sunshine, but mesoscale forecasts keep it dry at the snowsport areas through opening hours. Wind affecting things at CairnGorm (Funicular only) and Nevis (tows on hold at 9am), but Glencoe is go as the mountain shelters the ski area from SW winds.

^Time for a tea at the Rescue Station - still huge depth of snow behind in Ski Tow Gully.

More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=989

Wee Video:

http://youtube.com/v/PWGIJuFgd_I
snow report
What're peoples favourite forecasting tools for Scotland?

I'm heading to a bothy near Ullapool in the middle of nowehere for a long weekend, BBC and Accuweather forecasts are directly conflicting. Obviously I appreciate that on the West Coast nothing is certain weather-wise.

I usually look at MWIS for Scotland but we're going to be down by the sea rather than going up hills, so wondering if there's anything else I should be looking at.
ski holidays
Here are two that I look at bobmcstuff, http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/United-Kingdom/Highland/Ullapool.aspx and this one which I found last year http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/zmw:00000.1.03031,
not idea if they will be any more accurate.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy