Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

He was an intermediot now an instructor wanna be...

Poster: A snowHead
As a counterpoint to our local ski nut Franzclammer here is a little video of Tim who is on the opposite end of the learner spectrum. Enjoys his skiing but is very cautious, nervous on busy pistes, super analytical and methodical. But loves his skiing snowHead

https://vimeo.com/73681479
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great to see that kind of progress and he certainly wouldn't be that far off his L1 with that skiing, especially the snowplough demo turns! Nice work! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nice demonstration of progression, a couple of questions if i may.

What was the reason for going back to basics (snowplough)?

And

It looked from the video as if his line of sight was always either on or around the ski tips, it may be the video but shouldnt he be looking further ahead?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A nice record of the journey so far.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ansta1, In the dome we use basic moves from time to time to reinforce and improve skills, that particular day we used plough turns to emphasize turn shape and early ski engagement..

your right on his eyeline but that is a typical issue with people when tasked with a new drill they tend to check what the skis are doing instead of trusting that they will do as they are told Wink (did you also notice how he looks up the hill a lot before turning ? , he is very cautious and got smashed into once so is a bit gun shy when it is busy)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, thanks for the info.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Worth noting, especially for anyone who doubts the value of ski training indoors or on plastic, that the shot of Tim making reasonably clean carved turns on a blue piste in the Dolomites was his first week skiing in the mountains.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, well done, out of interest how much time did he spend in the fridge, either being instructed or practising before that first proper mountain trio?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, the whole vid made me smile Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, the whole vid made me smile Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1, typically once or twice a month I think, for 12 months. Initially half day clinics with some private coaching sessions when he wanted to work on something specific, then full-day clinics plus a bit of free practice. As he has improved he skis indoors more frequently, but probably not more than 3 times a month. He has three weeks of coaching lined up for this winter, a least, and continues to make steady technical progress with his skiing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, wow, that timetable makes me look like a lightweight!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, You could use that as a before and after advert. First 20 seconds, pause for IO plug, last 20 seconds. I watched the vid and am now jealous than that I live on a different planet....erm....you know what I mean.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
he is very cautious and got smashed into once so is a bit gun shy when it is busy)

It wasn't me! Little Angel
But seriously.... Bravo Tim..... Best of luck if you do go for the L1
snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica, he is very keen Happy It's nice that we have been able to help him shape his skiing development since he was almost a complete beginner.

franzClammer, Laughing Although in seriousness it was a fairly bad experience for him. It was on his free day when he was on a coaching course with us in the Alps. He's not quite sure what happened, but he was crashed in to and ended up with a hole just below his lower lip (stitches on the inside of his mouth as well as the outside).
snow report
rob@rar, I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets crashed into when I'm with an instructor. I hope you stick for up for your pupils when/if it happens. My instructor in Les Arcs tore a thick strip off the chap that run me down. Pointing out very clearly that it was an empty piste with 20 clear metres on either side and I was taken out from behind. I think its the brightly coloured jackets that instructors wear myself - it provides a point for folks to aim at!! NB. It also crossed my mind that it could have been FC Embarassed Sorry franzClammer, !!
snow report
Megamum, as rob mentioned it was on a free day, we weren't around when it happened but apparently the guy skied off and there was blood everywhere...
snow report
Megamum, it was on his free day midweek so Scott wasn't teaching him at the time. Only once has someone, gently, bumped in to one of my clients while I've been teaching them. It was entirely his fault as my client was doing nothing wrong. I got irrationally cross with the guy Embarassed
ski holidays
skimottaret, not so good, I hadn't spotted the fact it was a free day. rob@rar, good for you, I think support from an instructor in such a situation is very helpful having been there myself.
snow report
I've never had anyone crash into one of my guests, but someone did once crash into me whilst teaching (in a bright red uniform).

Really nice progression in the video.
snow conditions
Said it before, but worth repeating - that really is an excellent record of development and progression across a range of movements and skills.

Going to send it to my lil Sister...I think she may have gotten the bug after her intro lesson at Hemel a couple of weeks ago. High praise from her instructor and she'd progressed to some parallel traverses towards the end of her session snowHead Not bad for 48 - she's a gutsy girl is my Sister with loads of determination - that vid example could be influential in the whole desire thing.
snow report
I everso want to star in my own video, which will be entitled 'Getting from one spot on the intermediate plateau to a slightly different spot on the intermediate plateau.' Really trips off the page, doesn't it? wink
snow report
Pedantica, next time I have a 9 hour flight I may have to look at your tape.... But I have another subject in mind for the next in my series of "success stories" and that person is a SH Wink
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
I everso want to star in my own video, which will be entitled 'Getting from one G spot on the intermediate plateau to a slightly different G spot on the intermediate plateau.' Really trips off the page, doesn't it? wink

If not the tongue....

We still talking about skiing....? NehNeh
latest report
skimottaret,
Quote:

next time I have a 9 hour flight I may have to look at your tape

Laughing Laughing I think you'd do better settling down to the in-flight movie!
latest report
Cacciatore, what's with the gratuitous filth?! wink Wrong thread!
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
I everso want to star in my own video, which will be entitled 'Getting from one spot on the intermediate plateau to a slightly different spot on the intermediate plateau.' Really trips off the page, doesn't it? wink

You and me both ! I've got so much booked this year if there isn't any noticeable improvement I might just stick every piece of ski kit I own on eBay and give it up as a bad job wink
snow report
bladeskier, do you ever use Chatham dry slope?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer, yes, but not for years.

I bought a pair of skis there about 5 years ago.
latest report
bladeskier Where do you practice?
Re: your training, are you with us on the IOS Tignes trip 4-7th Nov?
snowHead

Edit:oops forgot a bracket
latest report
skimottaret, How about a Bloopers tape? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
ALQ wrote:
skimottaret, How about a Bloopers tape? Madeye-Smiley

Yeh, you must be sat on a goldmine at £250 for every clip shown on YBF Laughing
ski holidays
Great video - well done Tim! And his great instruction of course wink Just shows what can be achieved if you put time and money into it. I can still see his lip after his accident, poor guy Sad
snow conditions
cathy, Sounds like he had a particularly nasty bump.
Is 'Tim' a sH?? Shocked TimDog perhaps?
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
bladeskier Where do you practice?
Re: your training, are you with us on the IOS Tignes trip 4-7th Nov?
snowHead

Edit:oops forgot a bracket

Yup, just filling in the forms now !
latest report
ALQ, no not a SH, He got hit quite hard and it was pretty nasty a dozen stitches or so in his lower lip
latest report
Swilling the first post-hit prosecco must have been an ouch too Shocked
snow conditions
Wish I had spotted the Nov IOS training, would have been up for that.
snow report
ansta1, sorry, but that trip is just about full, with just one place left on the midweek course but for an intermediate skier (level 6 or 7 on our ability scale). The weekend course is currently full with a short waiting list, although we are considering running a third coaching group in which case there will be two or three places available to book. If you are looking for other pre- or early season coaching options we have space on our Season Opener coaching holiday in Meribel, 7-14 December.
ski holidays
Thanks Rob, will check my diary for the Dec session
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy