Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where does 'quiver' come from.

Poster: A snowHead
I find that when people talk about their 'quiver' of skis, the use of the word gets me slightly irritated as it comes across as pretentious.

Now, I could be completely wrong and a 'quiver' of skis could be just as valid as a quiver of arrows.

Where does the expression come from? Is it a proper use of the word??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A whole bunch of skis stacked up looks like a whole bunch of arrows.

It's a usage that's common and is pretty old so yes I'd say it was a 'proper' use of the word even if it's not in the OED.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am also guessing yes as to the collection of arrows symbolism

I think the other meaning of quiver is also true
Quote:
"Tremble or shake with a slight rapid motion"
I know I do that when I see a lot of nice skis together
Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
livetoski, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
emwmarine, It's the original use of "quiverfull".

It means a good, right and godly number of skis so that "he may adore and admire your skiing grace in all and any snow conditions".

It has been bastardised by certain particularly dumb fundie christians in the US to justify stupidly large families.

Having many pairs of skis is not stupid - how else does one prepare to assist when His great noodly appendages need to be equipped?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 3-09-13 12:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a quiver of kids
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowHeadius 3:18 wrote:

For He did gaze upon the quiver and it was good - but not great.
Thus he spake "Let The Holy number be N+1"
Behold, there was much rejoicing and veneration of the cards of credit
and four to six weeks later many deliveries of oddly shaped packages were brought forth
And they were good.

Here endeth the lesson
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A Quiver is technically the container for the arrows, rather than the collections of arrows itself, but I think it's a valid variation on the use of the word. I can't think of another 'single' word which could convey the concept of "a collection of many similar items where you select one at a time"

Doing a little digging, it seems it's also been in use by surfers for many more years than in skiing. I suspect that's where it's been adopted from

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 3-09-13 12:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
emwmarine wrote:
I find that when people talk about their 'quiver' of skis, the use of the word gets me slightly irritated as it comes across as pretentious.

this suggests to me that you need to buy more skis
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Talking about a quiver of skis suggests to me that you are carrying them all around with you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thats what caddys are for rjs. You pay for him to follow behing towing your quiver, so you can always make sure you have the right ski for the prevailing conditions.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A righteous quiver i.e. one wisely and carefully chosen over a long period of time, with all lengths, weights, top sheet designs and turning radii properly synchronised along with the appropriate balance of brand rarity and all skis completely (ironically) Quiver Killered, will hum, make whale-type songs and vibrate in harmonic sympathy with the pressure drop of an approaching dump. I've never managed to achieve this with mine but I continue to search far and wide with hope (and a flapping wallet). The bigger the dump the more violent the noise.

That's what Moses' one did when he spent his 40 days in the wilderness (not many people know that; when he told folk that he'd been looking for lines they thought it had something to do with words and tablets; those old translation problems, eh?) and his finely tuned Ultimate Quiver remains a modern Holy Grail wherever skiers are gathered to this very day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok - i'll go with it then as there does seem to be such a long provenance for usage.

So, I only have two pairs of skis for my quiver but I have 3 road bikes and 2 MTBs. Should I refer to my bike collection as a quiver as well?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big Paua wrote:
The bigger the dump the more violent the noise.

Correct on so many levels.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
emwmarine, a collection of mountain bikes is more properly referred to as a "stable" (i.e. a place where you put your collection of steeds).

Hope this helps.
snow report
A bunch of surfboards have been refered to as a quiver fors years.
latest report
The closest things that I can think of where I have a collection of items and chose the best one for the task at hand are my tools and my golf clubs.

They can both be found in 'bags' and are part of a 'set'.

Quiver sounds better though.
ski holidays
Dot. wrote:
I have a quiver of kids

Ah, the most expensive quiver of all Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

A Quiver is technically the container for the arrows,
If we go with this meaning then my car is my quiver when packed for a day on the snow.
Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

.... which leads on to the 2 magic formulae

R = C + 1
R = D - 1

Where:
R is the required number of skis
C is the current number of skis
D is the number of skis which would result in divorce...
ski holidays
The reason the word 'Quiver' is used is because it describes the feeling in a snowsports enthusiasts 'personal area' when performing the act of adding 1 to N.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways,
Quote:

the feeling in a snowsports enthusiasts 'personal area'

Embarassed
Quote:

"Tremble or shake with a slight rapid motion"

Shocked
latest report
livetoski, would you prefer the word 'Frisson' wink
latest report
geoffers wrote:
Quote:

R = C + 1
R = D - 1

Where:

Presumably, R, C and D need to be divisible by 2?
snow report
emwmarine, no, R could be 2, C = 1 and D = 3.
snow conditions
geoffers wrote:
Quote:

R = C + 1
R = D - 1

Where:

Interesting:

R=C+1=D-1

C+1 = D-1

C=D-2

So however many skis you currently have (C) it is always 2 fewer than the number that would result in divorce - carry on spending Laughing
snow conditions
davehk, wrote

Quote:

R=C+1=D-1

C+1 = D-1

C=D-2

Spoken like an economist/hedge fund analyst. Mathematically true, but ignoring the fact that the first R and the second R are set by different real-world constraints, and likely to lead to financial armagedon.
ski holidays
also that ski's come in pairs and that :

A not-equal 2A*0.5 , where 2A equals the value of a pair of skis.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy