Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz, 2 couples , beginners or other options ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there ,

We are 2 couples travelling from Lisbon to Geneva in january looking for fun Very Happy

Ive been in Val disere , Tignes , Meribel , Chamrousse and the pireneans.

This year im taking a beginner couple for the 1st time, and i wanted to go to avoriaz few years allready !

I was searching for alternatives such as les arcs , 2 Alpes, chamonix , dolomiti snowHead

I have a budget of 700 euros per person for apartment , only interest is snowboarding , relaxar , enjoy the mountains Cool

Your thoughts on this one please wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do love skiing in the Portes du Soleil and Avoriaz is one of the best areas there with nice open runs and good snow cover. I have only ever stayed in Morzine so can't comment on the aprés-ski or nightlife in Avoriaz. For snowboarders there are a few flat bits from what I remember getting back to the Avoriaz bowl but I'm sure some local experts will give you a better description. Smile

The advantage of Avoriaz is that you are on the slopes straight away - no messing around with buses etc like in Chamonix. It's also got a new aquatic centre where you can relax those muscles at the end of the day... Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jony azenhas, that's a very generous budget - you should get a really good apartment for that much money, even in the high season. But unless you like crowded slopes and lift queues it would be best to avoid the peak holiday times of New Year and mid-February to mid-March. Good luck. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the replies but i think i wasnt specific with the budget .

We are flying from Lisbon to Geneva (we are Portuguese) on the 25th january which is low season snowHead and i got about 100 euros for flight , 75 for transfer , 180 for ski pass If only for Avoriaz and remaining for apartment , food and extras which comes up at about 600/700 euros per person.

Im seeing studios and apartments at around 500/700 for that specific week.

Its good to be ski in ski out because they are beginners and ill be having fun on the stash and the trees

Cool Cool

My only doubt is that for the same money i could get a better deal and choice in morzine concerning accomodation Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TBH the pistes are as good on pleney side as Avoriaz, but as someone said Avoriaz is all ski in and out, so better for you to get out and explore, and the added advantage of being able to get over to Chatel and Switz quicker.

For transfers call Rolling Road Transfers who will be able to do a transfer for your budget in a mini van, rather than taking the bus rolling eyes Tell them that Paul from next door sent you Toofy Grin

If you get the avoriaz pass, you can upgrade it any day you want to explore, and the begginers can stay in resort/local.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thats perfect considering that i can upgrade whatever day i want snowHead

Going to book the flights and still deciding the best apartment........

Im trying www.avoriaz-holidays.com and avoriaz-immobilier.com , any sugestions let me know please wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After deep thoughts decided to get a apartment for 480 euros in Avoriaz www.homeaway.co.uk/p855190a.

Almost did a booking with user snoozeboy (very approchable person ,Thank you , maybe next year)for his beautiful apartment in Chatel , girlfriend started to complain due to many draglits because we are having beginners couple.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jony azenhas, you'll have a great time in Avoriaz, a good choice for all abilities. Your girlfriend is right about Chatel....as good as the skiing is, there are a load of drags in the Super Chatel/Morgins, so even as a fairly advanced skier I tend to prefer elsewhere so I get a rest between runs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitters wrote:
jony azenhas, you'll have a great time in Avoriaz, a good choice for all abilities. Your girlfriend is right about Chatel....as good as the skiing is, there are a load of drags in the Super Chatel/Morgins, so even as a fairly advanced skier I tend to prefer elsewhere so I get a rest between runs.

Even worse for us that we are snowboarders Shocked , so in the end i think i did the right choice Smile Smile

Booked the flights allreay for 90 euros return from Lisbon and transfer got 196 euros for the 4 of us return to Prodains cable. From what i can read i get 12 euros return ticket on the gondola...

Got the flight that arrives at 19.40 in Geneva but the Gondola only closes at 0.00 which should be fine... wink

I rather go on the early flight to get to resort and settle , do some shopping for food , etc , etc but with the late flight we saved around 160 euros which should be good for a few snowboard lessons...

So until now i´ve got 90 (flights)+50 (transfers)+120 (accomodation)+230 (ski pass) +12 (transfer gondola)+50plus for food which comes up at 552 per person at the moment Cool As soon as more follows i´ll put in....

It´s a shame i can´t upgrade de avoriaz ski pass because they only sell for 2 days combo maximum , i´ll have to buy portes do solei full.............. Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quick update...

The flights suddenly went up and because if wasn't still paid for changed for Sunday morning from Geneva to Lisbon... I think it came really nice because of instead paying 120 euros pp got it for 65 Happy

Other bonus is that with the difference of the cash i can pay for hotel in Geneva and 1 day skiing with empty pistes on saturday Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
By the way , any recomendation on Geneva hotels/accomodation near the airport with shuttle service?

Thank you Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did a little bit of research, and came up to ibis annemasse , would ig be easy to go there if my transfer (alpybus) leaves us in the airport?! Just cross to the french side and from there go to the hotel?! We'll be carrying lugage and snowboards , equipment , etc , etc , so don't want to walk too much.... Cheers... Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jony azenhas, you most definitely wouldn't want to walk from Annemasse to Geneva airport, even with no luggage. Ferney Voltaire is the French town by the airport.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="pam w"]jony azenhas, you most definitely wouldn't want to walk from Annemasse to Geneva airport, even with no luggage. Ferney Voltaire is the French town by the airport.[/quote

Hummm , ok , thank you , so whats the best options?! Geneva hotels are a little bit on the expensive side.... lolllolol

All opinions more than welcomed snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jony azenhas, that hotel in Annemasse is 27 kms from the airport.

You could try the "Stars" hotel in Ferney Voltaire. Easy walk from the French side of the airport, though not a very pleasant one.
ski holidays
Ok , i'll have a look :-*

Basically we just have to get into the french sector via the airport and from there get a taxi or walk?!
latest report
jony azenhas, if you are young,strong and hard up it's an easy walk. The road access to the French sector is just north of the border and the Hotel Stars is opposite. So you go down the access road (which has barbed wire both sides) from the French sector, exactly as you would if you had hired a car there. I can't remember how far it is - 1.5kms max, maybe less. If you look at "Hotel Stars Ferney Voltaire" on google maps you will see it though the airport is not marked, presumably for security purposes. rolling eyes The airport is just the other (western) side of the road. Couldn't be closer, really, and it's cheap - it used to be an Formule 1 but has now gone downmarket. wink
snow report
pam w wrote:
jony azenhas, if you are young,strong and hard up it's an easy walk. The road access to the French sector is just north of the border and the Hotel Stars is opposite. So you go down the access road (which has barbed wire both sides) from the French sector, exactly as you would if you had hired a car there. I can't remember how far it is - 1.5kms max, maybe less. If you look at "Hotel Stars Ferney Voltaire" on google maps you will see it though the airport is not marked, presumably for security purposes. rolling eyes The airport is just the other (western) side of the road. Couldn't be closer, really, and it's cheap - it used to be an Formule 1 but has now gone downmarket. wink

Thank you very much , in the meanwhile i discovered http://www.citadines.com/en/france/ferney-voltaire/geneve.html which can provide me a aparthotel room for the 4 of us for about 107 euros. From what i've searched it can be easy by transport from the airport........

Anyone have feedback from there or stayed there?!?!?

As long it's easy access the price seems unbeatable...

Thank you snowHead
ski holidays
jony azenhas, the website says it's 10 minutes in a taxi - so you'd have to be very hard up and strong to want to walk it with snowboard gear. wink The Stars is very close and likely to be cheaper. Not as nice - but it's only for a night, isn't it?
latest report
pam w wrote:
jony azenhas, the website says it's 10 minutes in a taxi - so you'd have to be very hard up and strong to want to walk it with snowboard gear. wink The Stars is very close and likely to be cheaper. Not as nice - but it's only for a night, isn't it?

Yes , it´s only for a night wink

So the only thing i don´t understand is this: The transfer leave us at Geneva Airport and from there we get inside the airport itself , cross until the french sector or from outside Geneva Airport?! It´s a little bit confusing really.... Puzzled Do we have to pass passport control?! Puzzled

By the way i´ll start another topic because i need advice on early season quick skiing snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy