Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski advice

Poster: A snowHead
Raceplate wrote:
Mike Pow, bit of a difference, eh? OP is 89 kg hence why everyone is recommending 160cm +.

Why? Because they think the OP will overpower a sub 160 cm ski?

I interpreted that the OP was relatively knew to the sport and wasn't generating the kind of forces where a bodyweight relative to her height would require a longer platform under her feet.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ade57 wrote:
Mike Pow, Presumably you agree that height is not the only determining factor Mike? Out of curiosity I just measured my wife, not in ski boots. She's 5' 5'' and measures 155 cm to just below her nose. Therefore at 5' 8'' and other things taken into account 163 about right. My wife skis on a Fischer Koa 84 in a 159 by the way.

If the 163cm ski is between the OPs nose and chin then I'd say yes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why height Mike? If it's not to do with the forces being generated then what do you consider to be the determining factors? I agree with height as a rough guide but just a rough one, generally for busy hire shops.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica wrote:

Mike Pow,
Quote:

My girlfriend is 5' 7" and skis on 153cm
Gosh that does seem short. I'm just under 5'2", and only a tiny bit lighter than Nerys, but I ski on 152s. Mind you, that's about the shortest version of any ski I've ever had my eye on!

That length works for her.

Maybe a 148cm ski might be worth a try for you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ade57 wrote:
Why height Mike? If it's not to do with the forces being generated then what do you consider to be the determining factors? I agree with height as a rough guide but just a rough one, generally for busy hire shops.

If the OP was 6' 2" and 14 stone then I'd say a 163cm would be too small.

Would you?

If so, then both height and weight have a bearing on ski length.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Levers of course have an effect and at 6' 2'' leverage is greater. I have not discounted height as a factor by the way, just not the only one. Type of ski, the skier's ability, skier's confidence, speed etc. all come into play. Interested to know what you think about the effect of other factors. In my experience it is easy for a skier on too small a ski to overpower it and develop poor technique as a result as it is for the ski to intimidate and overpower the skier if too long. The problem is that the former often goes unaddressed as the skier gets away with it and thinks they are half decent. This is of course a generalisation and wouldn't pertain e.g. factory slalom race ski in 165 for a 6' 2'' 14 stone man.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ade57 wrote:
Levers of course have an effect and at 6' 2'' leverage is greater. I have not discounted height as a factor by the way, just not the only one. Type of ski, the skier's ability, skier's confidence, speed etc. all come into play. Interested to know what you think about the effect of other factors. In my experience it is easy for a skier on too small a ski to overpower it and develop poor technique as a result as it is for the ski to intimidate and overpower the skier if too long. The problem is that the former often goes unaddressed as the skier gets away with it and thinks they are half decent. This is of course a generalisation and wouldn't pertain e.g. factory slalom race ski in 165 for a 6' 2'' 14 stone man.

Agree with most of that Ade57.

I've been using the 'chin to nose' method for many years for recreational skiers looking for an all mountain ski. It's simple but it works in my experience.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well the skis are more like between my nose and eyes. Would going for a slight shorter make any difference?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dals, Stick with them. Sorry you've had doubt from the latest round of contributions.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am so confused
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Look like very good skis .....

http://www.worldskitest.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:testsieger-blizzard-viva-74-iq&catid=8&lang=en&Itemid=

Size matters but so does stiffness and how you use it. (sorry tried to keep it clean wink )

As others have said, I suspect it's not just the length but the stiffness and the fact that being new skis the edges will be much better serviced (sharper) than your typical rental skis. The skis are probably a lost less forgiving of less than perfect technique and will be a handle to ski at first but with time you will most likely get used to them.

(I'm 5'8", just over 11 stone and started on 160's but now ski 170 to 177 cm long skis)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dals wrote:
Well the skis are more like between my nose and eyes. Would going for a slight shorter make any difference?

The sizing method I use works for me and my students. It may work for you, it may not.

Others on here have suggested longer, the guy in your local ski shop suggested much shorter.

Stick with the ones you have and continue to take lessons.

Out of interest did you ask the instructor who's been teaching you for a recommendation before you bought the Blizzards?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No i didnt, i had different instructors each time. I have just apoke to ski manager who sold the skis, lovely chat. And decided to stick with them and have a lesson on them to gain my confidence back Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good call Dals!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree with Ade57, you's paid your money stick with it. I am very experienced. A few years ago I changed from lovely slalom skis to a more all mountain set. For about 2 or 3 days I was all over the shop; just like your experience. If you have lessons the instructor should be able to tell you why you are having the crossing problem. As said above you are probably nervous and leaning back. Show the skis who's boss. Be positive with them. If you fall over then laugh about it. Held me back not wishing to look a fool by falling.
Length is ok. I am a shortty. 5'6" (169cm). Use 167s. Weigh under 12st. Why the diff to your 163s. Essentially, due to experience I will generate more force and can cope with the longer ski.
ski holidays
Just to update you guys, i had a private lesson on dryslope today. Basically issues are my stance, not forward enough and tend to lean backwards when in trouble.

I had not issues skiing kn 163cm, dont worry i didnt take mine. But my poor new boots are full of mud from the sprinklers Evil or Very Mad

Also never going on dry slope again, horrible to ski on. I could hardly move, but i did find out where i am going wrong Very Happy

Thanks again guys for advice and persuading me to keep the skis

Xx
latest report
Dals, great! Your issues are common to all beginners so stick with it, things will get better.

Don't be too down on dryslopes - they are much more challenging than real snow but the upside is that when you go to a real mountain you'll find it relatively easy in comparison and will progress more quickly overall.
ski holidays
Dals, If you don't like the dendix dry slopes, have a look around to see if there's one near you that has snowflex. Far more challenging than snow, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Snowflex tends to be used as indoor material here, so you won't get muddy boots. Just don't fall on it with bare skin. I did that once and it hurt. A lot.
latest report
This one was the square shapes on it
ski holidays
Dals wrote:
That's dendix. Snowflex looks like white astroturf. Personally I think dendix is easier to ski on.
ski holidays
It was really dry, very hot day. Even with sprinklers on, i hardly moved lol
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
Dals wrote:
That's dendix. Snowflex looks like white astroturf. Personally I think dendix is easier to ski on.

Yep. Not as easy to hurt yourself on snowflex (fingers and wrists if the gaps aren't filled), but it's weird for sure.
ski holidays
Dals wrote:
It was really dry, very hot day. Even with sprinklers on, i hardly moved lol
Yeah, that's not unusual in summer. Go in the winter, either when it's raining or got a frost on it - then it's good! Still, you did say that the speed of your new skis is what took you aback so much, so maybe going a little slower is a good thing for now!
latest report
Yeah, thing was i felt i wanted to go bit faster ha ha. No pleasing me Embarassed
latest report
feef wrote:

Really try pushing the heels of the skis out rather than just putting them on their edge as you could probably do with hire skis.

don't push your heels out, this is a really common fault anyway so please don't aim to do it on purpose
ski holidays
Dals if I was you I would carry on using the rental skis in the dome to learn how to parallel once you have mastered the parallel jump onto your skis and keep practising. As for length well with newer skis its a myth IMO you should buy what you want and feel comfy on.

Slalom skis are around 155s and downhill over 2m so the length depends on how you ski and how you want to ski.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy